Starting My Own Amp Company

Remember to put a switching power supply in there. I'm consistently dumbfounded by high-end amps only working with one voltage. Make it accept 100-240 volts at 50 or 60 hz, with a 3-pin IEC connector.

Dude, how else can you interpret "multi-country friendly?" See above :Smug:

I like Wolfe Amps....sounds great.

I want 5150 dirtychannel....
heavy yet silky smooth solo channel...
Fender princeston type clean channel...
fx loop...
swappable tubes
a poweramp bypass switch for reamping....
possibly a built in tube screamer:loco: well.....I may be going over the top.

maybe even some aluminum construction to lighten it up a little

Can you also make it spill proof??:lol: I've had one too many dumbasses bump a drink into my 5150,,,, by by tubes.

Have an evil werewolf logo on the amp.....that has red LED eyes that light up.:kickass:

I'd buy it.

Great idea! Seriously awesome. I'll keep checking back once in awhile here to see any updates.

Wouldn't it be intersting to start a "blog" somewhere, post it over several (recording & guitar) forums, then you allready have the attention of a lot of people. Then once in awhile you update them with some info on which model you've progressed, what you did and are using. Just an idea to allready get some people interested to buy from you.

You could do a series/parallel loop, it is very simple and it would solve that delay problem.

How you will switch the 3 channel amp ? I am looking for a solution myself but haven´t found a simple one so far. Or better, one that makes sense to me.

Seriously you should provide power for the pedals fx, 3 or 4 power outputs to power 9v pedals.
Well I got my eq pedal always in the loop, lying on the top of the amp, but I need another wall socket to use with it because I don't use batteries (I hate them).
An amp that can provide power to pedals that we use in the effects loop, would be so great, you can provide short cables, you don't need long cables.
I think nobody thought about this!! it's really a solution for people like me (I think a lot of people do this) who don't carry another rack to put pedals in.

I'd like to second this notion. I don't play live anymore, but when I did I would've loved to have something like this. Maybe some sort of simple internal splitter thing that grabs power before it goes to any amp circuitry, so it doesn't pull any power from the transformer. I don't know if having an extra transformer for 9v power would cause any noise issues, but maybe even a single standard grounded AC outlet on the rear would be cool, and probably easy as hell to do. It would also be cool for wireless units.

Also, this might be a little weird, but what about rackmount versions? Or chassis designs that can be easily converted for rackmount intsallation? A lot of people like to use rack gear along with standard heads but usually theyre forced to either stack a rack case on a cab and their head precariously on top of that, or buy a separate and expensive gigantic hybrid road case. Just a thought. It would probably be like 5 or 6 spaces tall anyway.

kaomao said:
Seriously you should provide power for the pedals fx, 3 or 4 power outputs to power 9v pedals.

NOIZE!

Do not want. Trust me. It's been thought of and it's like trying to tap dance in an earthquake.

Jeff

I've always wanted a sweepable midrange on a amp.

I'll have to look into that. I know how to have a switchable midrange to switch from one frequency range to another, but not one you can sweep.... I think the EQ would need to be active, like in the XXX.... And I wasn't to hip on the XXX EQ.....

I'll have to look into that. I know how to have a switchable midrange to switch from one frequency range to another, but not one you can sweep.... I think the EQ would need to be active, like in the XXX.... And I wasn't to hip on the XXX EQ.....

Just use a 10k resistor and a pot (100k, for example) instead of the slope resistor.

I personally like this look:

front3B.jpg

Only I would rather see navy blue or something.

Oh and I'm not saying this would be the best idea on a 3 ch. amp or anything. Just always liked this look.

maybe even some aluminum construction to lighten it up a little

Have an evil werewolf logo on the amp.....that has red LED eyes that light up.:kickass:

Aluminum chassis is no big deal, but it's not a big weight saver in a tube amp. All that weight is from a sturdy wooden cabinet and massive transformers...

The eyes lit up idea is great, but I could see the 'copying off of Snarling Dogs' comments already....

You could do a series/parallel loop, it is very simple and it would solve that delay problem.

How you will switch the 3 channel amp ? I am looking for a solution myself but haven´t found a simple one so far. Or better, one that makes sense to me.

Having both loops is up in the air.... In my amps I have no use for a parallel loop, but if enough people want it I may as well do it.

Still haven't looked into switching. All I have messed with so far is 2 channel amps using relays or LDRs....

seriously would it cost too much to not limit just the middle knob to be switchable?
I mean if you can choose your frequency ranges on both the others knobs (hi and low) would be great!!!
So one amp to rule them all ahahahhah one amp that can be as scooped and lowend-ish like a recto and at the same time having the chance to have the midrange bite of a marshall ;)

cheers

Also, this might be a little weird, but what about rackmount versions? Or chassis designs that can be easily converted for rackmount intsallation? A lot of people like to use rack gear along with standard heads but usually theyre forced to either stack a rack case on a cab and their head precariously on top of that, or buy a separate and expensive gigantic hybrid road case. Just a thought. It would probably be like 5 or 6 spaces tall anyway.

I have always wanted to do this, and looked into it when I built my SLO, but it ends up just being a mess. The only rack chassis you can really find to work are some big behemoths, and you have to rig everything up on the inside to hold tubes etc. Mesa has it easy since they can buy in bulk and have a nice rack chassis built that accommodates a whole amp perfectly. I could have a place design one for me, but it would cost a fortune to buy them one piece at a time.

Hey jangoux, you are over on the SLOclone forums right? The project they tried to start over there, the OD3, is what sparked my interest in a 3 channel. But that project has been on hiatus for the past 2 years going nowhere, so I figured it was time to start my own.

Sorry for off-topic but how difficult it would be to build a high gain amp like a Soldano clone and how much do the parts cost? And how much would it cost if I wanted to build pre-amp only?
And on the topic, it would be awesome if the amp had a control for tight-loose so you could adjust for a biting tone or a sludgy one. I don't know if that's possible but it would rule. And the Wolf theme is awesome too, do the glowing eye thing, it will look fierce

I personally like this look:

front3B.jpg

Only I would rather see navy blue or something.

Oh and I'm not saying this would be the best idea on a 3 ch. amp or anything. Just always liked this look.

Hmm, really not a fan of the solid front panel, I much prefer transparent metal so you can see the tubes behind it (like, oh, Engl, JSX, Krank, Bogner Uberschall, etc. etc.) Also, I never liked having the chassis on top, cuz it has the tubes dangling, which always made me nervous (in my old 5150 combo, one of the power tubes popped out for an undisclosed amount of time, and I had no idea! I was using it for months with just one tube, and wondering why it was making such weird noises sometimes :ill: )