Steam hacked

MindMunch

Jan 17, 2011
Change your passwords. :bah:

10 November 2011
Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

Though technically, even if someone got your password it wouldn't help thanks to the Steam Guard. I remember Gabe published his password to prove it :lol:
But since the hackers could have gotten your email adress aswell, I wouldn't want to risk it. :/ All this website being hacked is getting on my fucking nerves.

to me, steam is just a tool that prevents you from re-selling games,
i hate hackers but in this case, i hope steam gets destroyed :heh:

to me, steam is just a tool that prevents you from re-selling games,
i hate hackers but in this case, i hope steam gets destroyed :heh:

I like Steam. In fact, I love steam.
Good pricing, always have some great price cuts, awesome online features (friends/chat/messenger/join/playing-now, etc), the multiple benefits of digital distribution among many other stuff. I only buy PC games from Steam.

Good pricing, always have some great price cuts, awesome online features (friends/chat/messenger/join/playing-now, etc), the multiple benefits of digital distribution among many other stuff. I only buy PC games from Steam.

the idea behind steam is great but the realization is crap IMHO.

pricing is the same as everywhere else, sometimes it's even more expensive.

servers are overloaded and slow.

not sure about the online features, what do you exactly mean?

being not able to resell games the bigest point of criticism though.

cheers
S.

the idea behind steam is great but the realization is crap IMHO.
I like Steam nowadays. I used to hate it because in the beginning it was everything you just desribed, but now it's awesome imo.
pricing is the same as everywhere else, sometimes it's even more expensive.
Are you serious? I bought over a dozen games for like $2-5 each and those were games you'd pay 20-30€ for on amazon or in stores. Games that cost 5€ in stores are often 1,99€ etc. You gotta look out for the specials, there are specials pretty much everyday and every weekend there's a weekend special. Plus sometimes the big holiday specials, where each day a different company had (nearly) all their games 50-75% off the retail price. I always compare prices and I've saved about 100€ by waiting and buying when the game was 75% off on Steam.
The company specials are the best if you want several games because you will save up to a few hundred Euros (i.e. the Star Wars package). Also Steam offers some games you can't buy in other shops anymore like Jedi Knight II and III etc.
servers are overloaded and slow.
Really? Have you selected the nearest server to your location? There are several in Germany alone. A few friends of mine even test their internet connection by downloading from Steam because it's faster than what most websites offer. I have up to 200 kbits downstream with Steam, normally I get 80 to 110.
not sure about the online features, what do you exactly mean?
->
friends/chat/messenger/join/playing-now, etc)
That. It works. Never had a problem with surfing with the Steam browser while ingame, or chatting, joining a friend etc. Origin shows you what a crappy Steam-like piece of software looks like :lol:
being not able to resell games the bigest point of criticism though.
Yeah that's retarded. Plus the offline function not always working.. but other than that I love steam. I can access pretty much all my games from any computer anywhere, for example when you're at a friend's and want to play a certain game together but you don't have it on the computer, you can either just download it, or he makes a backup you install the game from the backup and you're set.

100% agree with jipchen. I could also list many other cool features, such as

-The in-game overlay window with web broswer when you press shift+tab (I love that thing)
-The party voice chat/GUI is basically perfect
-They have plenty of quality casual games, so I can install Steam at work and on my notebook (if my boss ever find out how much Puzzle Quest 2, Peggle and Doom I play at work...)
-Free games (Team Fortress 2 for example)
-Cross-platform (PC/Mac, including some games)
-Installation of games is a breeze, don´t have to go through all boring setup screens
-Accepts PayPal
-The gift system (I´m always buying shit for my brother)
-Achievements, for those who care (I don´t)

There must be more stuff that I forgot right now but, yeah, I love Steam. Valve put the PC platform in another level with it.
The no-reselling is boring but I understand their side on this matter, what I hate on Steam is that I can´t change my main login email/username. I used my personal gmail account when I first registered on Steam and I totally regret that now, with the database hacking. I hope it doesn´t end on spam lists.

Pricing on steam is always really good, I just wait for a game to be on midweek madness or the weekend sale and I feel like I never pay full price for stuff. And you may not be able to trade stuff in but you can trade games that have been purchased as gifts between players now which is pretty cool. My brother always gifts me shit and then I trade them for the games I actually want.

not on new games
Bought skyrim on mazaon.co.uk for just 30 euros or so
on steam was a "steal" lol 50 euro