Stereo widening on guitar bus.. does this make sense?

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hey,

on my current productions I'm trying out the Wave Shuffler or Stereo Imager to get my guitars a bit more left and right. Does this make any sense? I mean, I hear that it sounds wider and that I have more room in my panorama, but it sounds kinda strange. Like you delayed one guitar channel about some ms. Do you use stereo imager on guitars?

imagers are useful ...however unless it's an effect, i would say always double-track the "rhythm" guitars.

i would say try a few different ones. i like the steinberg one alot more than the blue tubes or waves ones. also if you hear phasing thats probably too much widening. 5% or 10% goes a long way. if you still dont have enough space i would say thats more an eq issue than widening

imagers are useful ...however unless it's an effect, i would say always double-track the "rhythm" guitars.

I double track everything of course! I like how an imager affects the guitar bus. But I think it's the same like using exciter. Of course they make it sound kinda better, but it ruins your mix if you overdo it.

I tried for a few months but could never get them to work for me. Now I track with different guitar tones either side, if they sound different your mix will sound alot wider.

Double track and pan hard right and left. Stereo imaging can have some cool effects on clean parts and solos though

+1
I don't recommend using this for every application. you'll end up with a thin mix.
the only place i ever use it is for a specific effect or in the Mastering Stages. and even then, I rarely push it wider than 120% (100% being the normal setting).

skip the stereo widener stuff. try dialing in two slightly different tones for L/R or different eq curves instead. widens the guitars in a subtle way.

I've always found the wideners to sound a bit strange. If used subtly in mastering, on particular frequency ranges, or as a subtle effect behind lead vocals they can sometimes have a cool effect. But the operative word is subtle.

In order to get this happening on guitars without really screwing your phase, the best ways appear to involve slightly different tones/curves on each side, hammering one side with a limiter. or delaying it slightly behind the other side (assuming the two sides are edited together very tightly, otherwise the playing will sound out). I don't like doing this kind of thing for metal in general... it doesn't really add anything I find beneficial. Tightness over width in that case, IMO. For rock and looser styles you can get away with it though, if the width is important to you.