Steve Irwin RIP

dishcloth said:
young children are dying in africa every day and no one seems to care.

I do.

You know, if the American and British Governments taxed their citizens like, £1 a week to be put towards the relief of poverty in Africa, it would be gone in less than 5 years? My Modern Studies class researched the situation, and we were disgusted when this became apparent, because it shows how easily changes can be made.

And so, I respect your point. But I still say it's tragic that a man died at 44, leaving behind his children. I'm sure lots of other tragic things happened today, but just because I'm not aware of those doesn't mean I can't lament what I am aware of, right?

Benighted1 said:
RIP Steve, you will be missed...

On a less serious note, I guess he shoulda been wearing sunscreen huh?
...To block out those harmful rays

I don't care who you are - that's fucking funny. :lol:

Liquid Diamonds said:
What? What was wrong with that?

You have no soul.
Whoah there mate.

My point is that you are saying that it would have been a tragedy if Hitler died at 44.

Also please don't ever try to tell someone online that they have no soul, EVER. :)

I enjoyed his cool accent....realyl funny guy...!!...sad but no tsurprised...I guess I kindda am too.....RIP bro....PEAC EOUT

wwallinga said:
Why is everyone so surprised that this happened?
OK... why are we surprised? Steve Irwin had been doing this since he was 9 years old, and he hadn't died had he? Most of us were complacent.

wwallinga said:
Yes he helped some animals and yes we learned something.
Helped some animals? Irwin donated millions and millions of dollars to wildlife conservationists and injected millions more into the industry through his television programmes and fame. I'm thinking hundreds of millions of dollars would help more than 'some animals'.

wwallinga said:
But, basically he was in it for the money and the fame.
Again, he'd been doing this since he was 9 for fucks sake. It was his LIFE. He never had a job that didn't involve animals. Don't doubt his passion for the animals.

I find it disturbing as fuck that so many people from over the other side of the world seem to assume that they know Steve Irwin personally and have a right to slander him. Get back in your boxes, he was a greater human than any of us.

And just so I get no comebacks of 'hypocrite', I did actually meet Steve at Australia Zoo in 2004. I spoke with him for over an hour.

Biggsy, your passion is a great thing, but Steve's was 10,000 times as strong about what he loved, family and wildlife. I am sure you know this if you really did meet the man. Bindi will succeed him in just a very few years along with Terri. Bob will follow. I am looking so forward to the Irwin children's tv stuff.
This accident was tragic but everyone swimming with rays will tell you, don't get stung in the neck or the chest.. He knew the risks and he was willing to take them.
We need leaders of our nations with the balls that this great Australian had.
's

metal_wrath said:
My point is that you are saying that it would have been a tragedy if Hitler died at 44.

Ok, that's a VERY tenuous point to make. But, just to please you, I will rephrase my original point.

Anyone who is not a maniacal dictator, cold-blooded murderer or rapist dying at 44 = tragedy. Period. Especially if they have young childern and a loving spouse.

That better?

metal_wrath said:
Also please don't ever try to tell someone online that they have no soul, EVER. :)

And as far as that is concerned, I forget sometimes that where I come from and with the majority of my friends 'you have no soul' is a pretty throwaway comment, not meant to be taken that seriously. For example, if I were to state something callous (which is how I initially interpereted your post, because you didn't really explain it), and one of my friends were to reply 'You have no soul!!', I wouldn't be offended, because they wouldn't actually mean that literally, they'd just mean I was a little heartless and that they disagree with me. I'd probably just laugh.

However, I also forget that there are many people out there who would be grossly offended by such a comment, especially considering that tone is very difficult to communicate over an internet forum. So I apologise if I offended you. Sincerely, I might add.

:)

It's an amazing story that the guy survived as long as he did. He dedicated his entire life to the animal species & was greatly rewarded personallly & financially. It's unfortunate, but he'd been risking his life on a daily basis for a long time. He'll be missed though

Liquid Diamonds said:
Ok, that's a VERY tenuous point to make. But, just to please you, I will rephrase my original point.

Anyone who is not a maniacal dictator, cold-blooded murderer or rapist dying at 44 = tragedy. Period. Especially if they have young childern and a loving spouse.

That better?

And as far as that is concerned, I forget sometimes that where I come from and with the majority of my friends 'you have no soul' is a pretty throwaway comment, not meant to be taken that seriously. For example, if I were to state something callous (which is how I initially interpereted your post, because you didn't really explain it), and one of my friends were to reply 'You have no soul!!', I wouldn't be offended, because they wouldn't actually mean that literally, they'd just mean I was a little heartless and that they disagree with me. I'd probably just laugh.

However, I also forget that there are many people out there who would be grossly offended by such a comment, especially considering that tone is very difficult to communicate over an internet forum. So I apologise if I offended you. Sincerely, I might add.

:)
I know you wasn't being completely serious, but it is true I don't usually see people go that far in their insults so I was offended, if slightly. Anyway, Cheers :kickass:

RIP Steve Irwin ;)

He was a great person. I think that is all i can really say... idk.

It is really going to leave Animal Planet hollow... vacant.

RIP Stephen Irwin.

P.S. What if Jeff Corwin died? Man, I love that guys shows...

First: this is being allowed to remain because of the "Fallen Heros" thread and frankly... this will now always be a part of Opeth Forum Lore.

Second: I can't believe how much this event has bothered me. I was "Aware" of Steve... and had enjoyed him on Animal Planet/Discovery for a long time, but was not what you would call some "Rabid" fan. Last night I watched a special that was done after the "Baby Bob" incident and another Croc Hunter special which were quite revealing of his personality, ethics, passion, love for his kids and wife... it just tore me up and frankly still does. We're pretty close to the same age, I have a lovely wife, an 8 yr old daughter and a 3 year old son.... just like him. Perhaps that is a big part of it making it so easy to personalize I guess... but frankly the whole thing totaly sucks.:cry:

Third: We'll probably get to watch the whole thing.