Steven Slate Drums

GearMan2point0

Musician/Engineer
Feb 13, 2011
I would like to know, if I bought Steven Slate SSD or EX would I be able to use that in Superior Drummer?

steven slate ssd come with samples + a virtual instrument. with this you would use midi in your daw to program drums, or use triggers on your kit to controll the plugin.

trigger also comes with samples, but you use this to run it on audio tracks (from when you recorded a real kit) to act as a post production way of triggering the kit.

so either way you get the samples, its more a matter of what do you want to do with it?

program with midi + record with triggers = SSD
a plugin that will trigger off audio tracks = trigger

I am so confused on what you're trying to say. Program with ssd and then trigger the kit with the drums that are already recorded?

yeah, i do that. confuse myself at times.

i'm saying ssd will use hardware triggers like the roland ones, to record a real kit via triggers which ends up as midi OR you can use a mouse and program the drums with midi.

and trigger will run on an audio track as a plugin, so you would use it on a kit that you have recorded with mics. works in a similar way to pro tools' sound replacer.

am i making any sense?

i'm just saying this because from memory superiour drummer can do both these things? so clearly he want slate samples and i was just trying to determine if he wanted to use them purley for programing / hardware triggers or as a means of sample replacing later in the mix after tracking a real kit.

/derrrrrrp

I have seen people having Steven Slate Drum kits on Superior Drummer. I was wondering how I could do that.

So steven Slate uses presets for Superior Drummer? meaning that if you say "click on his preset" it willl open a kit within the Superior Drumming foundry? Will it also use Slate's mixing techniques on the Mixer panel?

It seems like it's more active than the "off topic" so I ask it here too:
Which expansions have good toms for metal? (e.g. the Maple toms)
Which has good cymbals (heavy sound metal crashes) that you like to use often?
I think I'm going to buy the 2 EX version, which ones do you offer?
I can't really decide from the samples on SSD's site.
Thanks!

I find slate cymbals useless. Very thin. That's my opinion anyway. I'm looking around for others.

Ok, let's get this straight:

Steven Slate Drums 2 and up (if I'm not wrong) is a Virtual Instrument, loaded with the well known "slate samples", while Superior Drummer 2 is ANOTHER Virtual Instrument, loaded with only Superior Drummer samples. There are in SD2 some presets lines, made by known artists such as Bulb, Andy Sneap and... Steven Slate.

Understand this :
The only place you'll find the Steven Slate samples, or "drumkits" as you call them, is in the Steven Slate Drums software and in Slate Digital Trigger.
Superior Drummer is another software, Slate only made PRESETS for this software, using only SD2 samples and its integrated mixer. NO EXTERNAL SAMPLES included.

okay. I'm on the verge of buying trigger right now. I haven't really needed it because I've always had a different method of doing what it does. but it's more complex.

if it works well with replacing ddrum trigger pulses it's definitely the last thing I need to know. (I'm really picky with my plugs and never buy something just cuz)
does any one know how well Trigger works with ddrum triggers being feed directly into your pre?