Steven Slate Drums WTF?

msutcliffe88

New Metal Member
Aug 2, 2011
So I bought SSD EX 3.5 at Guitar Center (download only, they gave me a license number). Went to the Steven Slate website to download what I paid for... nothing. No download page, no instructions on how to download and activate. I managed to find a page asking for my email and the license number, I enter it, it says "congrats, you're registered!" then nothing. No email with a download link or full serial number, nothing.

http://www.slatedigital.com/support/kb_article.php?ref=7344-EIOS-1836

It seems A LOT of people have run into this same bullshit. Had I known it was going to be this difficult to download a fucking plugin I would have bought Superior Drummer.

Steven Slate Drums = AWFUL site design/tech support/customer service.

I hope you're not complaining about a lack of a reply if you've emailed them at the weekend. I don't know of many companies that have customer support saturday/sunday.

I've bought lots of stuff directly from Slate before and never had a problem, but unfortunately I've no experience in buying a licence from somewhere else and registering it online. Maybe you'll get your email on monday when customer service is open again? Are you sure emails haven't landed in your spam/junk folder?

No replies in my spam folder. I realize it's the weekend, but it still would have been nice to download the plugin as soon as I paid for the activation. If I wanted to wait 3 or 4 days I would have just bought a boxed copy.

Been to that forum...

And I registered here to get some recording/production tips.

...And no shit it's the weekend, I'm not pissed about that. I'm pissed that I bought a digital copy because I needed it for the WEEKEND but the site and download system are so broken that I have to wait longer than I would had I just bought a physical copy.

Dude, I just ordered a guitar. It's going to take 4 months to build.

You have to wait a day or two for a fucking plugin (an excellent one at that), and you're bitching?

And have you ever thought that maybe you're doing something wrong on your end? When I bought Trigger, it was a little convoluted to get it downloaded.

Slates customer service has always been great with responses and helping us out here. Just echoing everyone else, wait till tomorrow and you'll be able to get it without a problem. If you wanna complain about it, try and return the key and go by SD, otherwise be a big boy and wait it out.

I, too, have had excellent results with Slate customer service. I bought SSD EX as a no-brainer from AudioMIDI a while back and the links they provided me back then no longer worked, I emailed their CS and they got back to me within a day, giving me a new link to the download.

The link they gave me to download SSD again, as well as Trigger EX and Platinum which I just bought this past week was:

http://www.slatedigital.com/esd/

Click on the SSD picture, enter your info and passcode, download SSD.

Dude, I just ordered a guitar. It's going to take 4 months to build.

You have to wait a day or two for a fucking plugin (an excellent one at that), and you're bitching?

And have you ever thought that maybe you're doing something wrong on your end? When I bought Trigger, it was a little convoluted to get it downloaded.

NO SHIT a guitar takes a while to build. Go to Toontrack's website, see how easy it is to register and use a new product? Now go to Slate's. No comparison. If I paid for INSTANT DOWNLOAD then yeah, I'm bitching that I have to wait a day or two. That's a day or two of recording down the drain.

Alright, I'll start over: Hey guys! So I needed a drum plugin for some recordings this weekend. I went and bought SSD EX, but their website is confusing. I can't seem to download the darn thing! It also seems countless other fellas who bought over the past few years have had the same problem, as well as their personal reputations put on the line because they promised SSD to a client and couldn't deliver on time. Anyone got some advice? I know Slate's a busy dude and all so I guess I can understand why he would put his name on a website that, according to a lot of people, charged their credit cards and delivered nothing until hours were spent on the phone with tech support in Tel-Aviv :)

Thanks in advance for your help, dudes! :D

If you're missing days of recording it's because you've waited to get the plugin the same day as you were supposed to start recording. That's called being unprepared, and it's the worst thing an engineer can be. If you're so desperate to get it straight away, go and download a pirated copy and then install the licensed one when you get it.

I've also had great experience with Slate's customer support, and when I bought Trigger and SSD EX I never had any trouble with downloading it.

This certainly sucks that you're having issues with downloading your plug, but it really isn't worth making a thread over, especially considering you probably already knew the customer service hours/time of operation.

FWIW I contacted their customer service, Nathan I believe it was, the guy was replying back within 5-10 minutes over the course of 20 or so messages... he was a helpful mofo, got me the info I wanted, answered all of my stupid idiot questions. Basically, contact them when they're actually there and you'll likely have a similar experience.

/2 cents

NO SHIT a guitar takes a while to build. Go to Toontrack's website, see how easy it is to register and use a new product? Now go to Slate's. No comparison. If I paid for INSTANT DOWNLOAD then yeah, I'm bitching that I have to wait a day or two. That's a day or two of recording down the drain.

The point is to be prepared and have backup plans, man. Not to freak out when you cant get what you want, when you want, all the time.