Steven Wilson as opeth's producer

nadavnaz

Rabi Rape 3!
Nov 30, 2006
Israel, Haifa
I feel that on ghost reveries, there's really some of his touch missing. He added tons to the records... If he could only keep making opeth's albums ):

What's your opinion?

Steven Wilson has done a great job with Opeth that's for sure! Would be great if he continued doing that but i can't understand the hype around Porcupine tree, they've done a couple of good songs that's all..

Steven Wilson has done a great job with Opeth that's for sure! Would be great if he continued doing that but i can't understand the hype around Porcupine tree, they've done a couple of good songs that's all..

That's a matter of taste... They're not one of the bands which make me go "WOAH!" but they're definetly great.

May the wilson produce an opeth album >: Though I know it's very very very unlikely

I will not listen to any album that is not produced by him

LOLZ JUST KIDDING I AM NOT THAT CLOSED MINDED!!!??!? :loco:

He is definetly a great producer for their albums, and i recognise this, but Opeth are Opeth, not Porcupine Tree, and the real skill and musicianship is when they can sound great, no matter what type of production it is.

i first heard of porcupine tree through steven wilsons work with opeth, i was interested in the music made by the man who had done such a great job on the production side of things and who came up with the lead in the drapery falls, i couldnt wait to here PT's music........what a bloody dissapointment, to me it sounds like hard rock, with prog flourishes, a total disapointment.
his best work is the blackfield album, i liked it alot but the PT stuff, did not sit well with me.

depends on what PT you have heard, i remember listening to PT for the first time going lol wtf is this a joke band? But it turns out i was listening to the wrong thing (some trippy shit from the olden days). I then discovered Piano Lessons and was totally stunned. Then discovered In Absentia and from then on....

i first heard of porcupine tree through steven wilsons work with opeth, i was interested in the music made by the man who had done such a great job on the production side of things and who came up with the lead in the drapery falls, i couldnt wait to here PT's music........what a bloody dissapointment, to me it sounds like hard rock, with prog flourishes, a total disapointment.
his best work is the blackfield album, i liked it alot but the PT stuff, did not sit well with me.
Dont get how you could like Blackfield better than PT but to each his own. Wilson should continue to record all of Opeth's albums from here on out. Ghost Reveries was good but it was missing something...something I cannot point out. CANNOT WAIT until SW and Mikael start the side project...i will scortch my shorts when it happens

Today I was a little bit of... shocked. I was travelling in the train and front of me there sat this person who looked just like, well Wilson. Of course he was´t but damn. He even acted the same. And glasses and all, the same way that we all saw in the Lamentations DVD. :err:

I really like Porcupine Tree and Steven's ideas as producer. So for the next record, I hope they choose him.

I will not listen to any album that is not produced by him

LOLZ JUST KIDDING I AM NOT THAT CLOSED MINDED!!!??!? :loco:

He is definetly a great producer for their albums, and i recognise this, but Opeth are Opeth, not Porcupine Tree, and the real skill and musicianship is when they can sound great, no matter what type of production it is.

Of course opeth makes amazing music nevertheless, but the producer does have a certian influence on the album no matter what. Mainly atmosphere speaking, I could sense steven wilson especially on blackwater park.

Of course opeth makes amazing music nevertheless, but the producer does have a certian influence on the album no matter what. Mainly atmosphere speaking, I could sense steven wilson especially on blackwater park.

agreed....although Ghost Reveries had some good moments, the production was very STERILE...too clean and perfect. That mentality is good if you're in Arch Enemy, but Opeth's music has a far more organic feel...

+1 for Steven Wilson. His contribution to Opeth made the rushed together D/D albums timeless.

He's very good. I still think the best production on an Opeth album is Still Life, though.

opeth affinity...you should listen to "sky moves sideways"! the 2 new tracks off fear of a blank planet are incredible