Steven Wilson Solo album!!!

I find it ironic that he shoots the iPods considering that the layering in Steven's music needs headphones, IMO, to be fully enjoyed. Plus, that's how most people enjoy Steven's music now.
You can't listen to DVD-A 5.1 on headphones, or on an mp3 player and get any kind of decent results I'm afraid. I think the pristine listening method is still a nice surround speaker setup.

so im curious as to how steven listens to music when he is on tour? portable record player? i am very excited to buy insurgentes, but im hung up on why he completley hates mp3 players? everyone knows that compared to vinyl mp3 players are shit, and i am an avid record/cd collector, i never burn albums and such. but mp3 players are very beneficial.

Maybe you can be of even more help to me. What kind of set up do you need to fully enjoy what will be on the DVD?
Well, either a DVD audio player, or DVD audio software for your PC, and then spend what you can afford on a 5.1 speaker setup. The PC setup is more affordable, as you could always buy a Creative sound card, which comes with DVD-A software, and than a speaker setup like the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1's, of course you can hook up a receiver to your PC and than use whatever speakers you want. On the other end, you'd be looking at buying a DVD-A player, or DVD player that supports DVD-A, a receiver, and than the speakers. If your looking for specific models and things of that sort, I probably wouldn't be much help, as I do indeed do all my listening on my PC, since that's where I do my engineering and composing, so I haven't been keeping up with the hi fi gear, mostly the pro audio side.

You are obviously a PT fan, so you'd be doing yourself a favor listening to all of PT's DVD-A mixes as well. :)

I wouldn't say getting a DVD-A player is all that nessisary to enjoy these suround mixes. Unless you've got a really expensive speaker set up, and are a complete audiophile, then you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the DTS 5.1 mix and the DVD-A. The DTS 5.1 is perfectly fine.

Oh and if you have a good pair of headphones, these discs are handy too, because they come with a high resolution stereo mix as well. On a good pair of headphones you will (should) notice a difference. I do, and i'm not a hardcore audiophile.

I wouldn't say getting a DVD-A player is all that nessisary to enjoy these suround mixes. Unless you've got a really expensive speaker set up, and are a complete audiophile, then you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the DTS 5.1 mix and the DVD-A. The DTS 5.1 is perfectly fine.

Oh and if you have a good pair of headphones, these discs are handy too, because they come with a high resolution stereo mix as well. On a good pair of headphones you will (should) notice a difference. I do, and i'm not a hardcore audiophile.
Yeah, it's not entirely needed, but a DTS stream is even lower quality than a standard CD, so its a bit of a trade off, quality for surround. The difference isn't massive as you say though, and the surround is indeed a more noticeable addition.

Anesthetize is a pretty good song. Just this topic needs to be put to rest not continued imo. I mean shooting Ipods lol that's a little odd. I get the metaphor he is drawing on, it's just "xbox is a god to me" = :erk:. I even agree with most of his points he just appears to be going about it in a strange way. Obviously looking forward to it, just concerned the album will be let down by cheesy lyrics. Time will tell. Speaking of FFS it's under a month before release, should be any day now.

Am I the only person who thought the lyrics on FOAB were actually a very insightful,witty and intelligent commentary on youth (particularly british where Steve is from) today? I love the lyrics to FOAB. And normally I dislike bands being political, and far prefer the neo-poe style of Opeth, but Wilson was really really right in his assesment. Maybe its because I'm part of that youth (though minus the drugs and guns ;) ) who consistently portrayed in the media and by the governement as underachieving, lazy and violent.

"Your mouth should be boarded up,
Talking all day, with nothing to say,
your hollow proclamations
all misinformation."

SW doesn't hate Ipods or mp3-Players in general. That's just the symbol/metaphor he uses for the music industry/consumer of today. I won't explain that in detail now..just read the FOABP lyrics and what he says about music and art in interviews, etc.
Of course does he own an ipod, since it's a useful gadget.

funny thing is that the first PT I've heard was preinstalled on my new XboX 360 back in 2006 or 5..dont remember. haha..it was Shallow from Deadwing!

yeah, im beginning to wonder if that was some sort of satire on steven's part, but on the other hand it's probably just steven being a contradictory douche.

"Music is Art and it should be presented as such, not as a set of compressed computer files or a basic disc in a disposable crystal case. It's this way of thinking that forms one of the main themes running through Lasse Hoile's film "Insurgentes", which is why you will see SW destroying so many iPods in the movie!"

Off of Insurgentes.org.