Steven Wilson will produce Orphaned Land!

I just had to put this one here
castaway-wilson.jpg

Kenneth R. said:
I disagree! :p

I wouldn't say it's terrible, but the albums/demo prior to mabool recording quality and mixing do sound worse.I can't say the same about mabool, this one is oozing quality.

It's probably the lack of money to record in an uber quality studio somewhere outside of Israel or OL not having enough experience in recording or the quality of the equimpment those days or all of the above.

Hm no, you're right, mabool is definitely an exception, it sounds like if it were being played in my room or something.

The other ones, unfortunately, sound like if they were recorded with a pc mic and a sock :erk:
(I know - been there, done that :guh: )

i didn't like the change in Opeth's sound after blackwater park. i don't know if it had anything to do with Steven Wilson but i hope the same doesn't happen to OL.
anyway, good luck with the new album and the new producer.
looking forward to hearing it.

I do agree with Ken
in the 90's it was the mainstream wave to have a "dirty" sound in death metal and OL weren't exactly progressive those days.they were a middle eastern death metal band.

Mabool should've been recorded clean because it has a lot of progressive elements and plenty of acoustic instuments like paino, buzuki and oud...it just wouldn't sound right when it's dirty
Nowdays it's more and more common to have a "clean" sound in death metal because it is getting more progressive over time.
A bad example IMO of using a clean sound is BLOODBATH...who are supposed to be a homage to oldschool swedish death metal and the clean sound(courtesy of Dan Swanö) just doesn't sit there well.

this is my opinion

paradoxile said:
I do agree with Ken
in the 90's it was the mainstream wave to have a "dirty" sound in death metal and OL weren't exactly progressive those days.they were a middle eastern death metal band.

Mabool should've been recorded clean because it has a lot of progressive elements and plenty of acoustic instuments like paino, buzuki and oud...it just wouldn't sound right when it's dirty
Nowdays it's more and more common to have a "clean" sound in death metal because it is getting more progressive over time.
A bad example IMO of using a clean sound is BLOODBATH...who are supposed to be a homage to oldschool swedish death metal and the clean sound(courtesy of Dan Swanö) just doesn't sit there well.

this is my opinion
Agreed.

Btw, I think that bloodbath has a bad example of pretty much everything :lol: