*STOLEN GUITAR* ESP M-I NTB, Holloman AFB, NM area

Jeff - the same thing happened to me once, and i actualy wound up getting my money back by suing the shipper (in this case ups). For me, it was an inside job, and i was able to prove that the address that ups said they shipped to didn't
Exist (it was a condo complex with 4 homes, and my delivery was addressed to apt 67b which obviously wasn't
real). Anyway - in my case it was 3 grand, and i was fucking relentless. I took them to small claims court and after they didn't show up 3 times, the judge awarded me the cash, and their claim's department paid it in no time.

Might be worth a shot. Hit me with a pm if you need any more info. And good luck.

Bobby

Jeff - the same thing happened to me once, and i actualy wound up getting my money back by suing the shipper (in this case ups). For me, it was an inside job, and i was able to prove that the address that ups said they shipped to didn't
Exist (it was a condo complex with 4 homes, and my delivery was addressed to apt 67b which obviously wasn't
real). Anyway - in my case it was 3 grand, and i was fucking relentless. I took them to small claims court and after they didn't show up 3 times, the judge awarded me the cash, and their claim's department paid it in no time.

Might be worth a shot. Hit me with a pm if you need any more info. And good luck.

Bobby

This isn't quite the same but it does raise some questions on my end - does FedEx have some kind of responsibility to make sure the signer of the package is the person it's being sent to, or at least a resident of the house/someone related to the recipient? The signature is most definitely obviously NOT "Stephen Baker"'s signature:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/392637/Pictures/FedExConfirmation.png

Not to mention the guy who signed for it didn't live there and had to be posted outside or something.

Just got off the phone with FedEx - looks like since it was insured for $1200, and thus requires a direct signature, the fact that it is most definitely not a Stephen Baker who signed for the package and the person living at the address I sent it to does not have said package, FedEx might have to honor my insurance claim. They're not wholly responsible for this douchebag's actions, but they did have some responsibility to make sure who was signing for the package lives at the residence, as per their FAQ:

"Direct Signature Required: FedEx will obtain a signature from someone at the delivery address. If no one is at the address, FedEx will reattempt delivery. For FedEx Express shipments, the recipient may also choose to pick up the package at the location listed on the door tag."

I wonder if "someone at the delivery address" means "someone who lives there" or "Joe Schmoe waiting outside and walking up to the front door to intercept the package."

Holy shit man.. Sorry to hear.. One thing you could try doing is try getting a hold of the admins on the HC forums, explain your situation, and ask for the IP address of the culprit posting on the website. With the help of the authorities they may just give you it, and if you had that.. They could track him absolutely no problem (unless he's on a proxy :erk:..)

As a former UPS employee I can tell you UPS's stance on that is anyone who is willing to sign for it. Its not up to them to check ID. But I am unsure of Fed'Ex's policy. Hopefully its not the same :(

Indirect signatures allow FedEx to leave the package with a neighbor or similar - I would assume that a direct signature would require them to leave it only with a resident of the address. I hope, at least!

Have you ever seen a delivery guy or gal really checking what you wrote down on their little hand-held? I haven't...

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Direct Signature Required?

Direct Signature Required replaces FedEx Ground® Auto P.O.D. This option is available for intra-Canada FedEx Ground shipments and FedEx International Ground shipments. With Direct Signature Required, FedEx will obtain a signature from any person at the delivery address. If no one is at the address, FedEx will reattempt delivery.

Source: http://fedex.com/ca_english/services/servicenews/dsrfaqs.html

Saw that link - it's a Canadian form. Also, any person at the delivery dress could mean any person that lives there, or a gardener out front or something.

My issue is that I shipped a package and it didn't get to the resident living at the address - I'm filing a claim and pushing for it, but I won't be too butthurt if they deny it.

That said, they really should be checking ID's. How can they expect to charge us extra for insurance and then not really do much to ensure the package gets to the intended address?

This guy obviously wasn't inside of the house though. The owner of the house had no idea anything was going on, and never received any package of any sort.

Saw that link - it's a Canadian form. Also, any person at the delivery dress could mean any person that lives there, or a gardener out front or something.

My issue is that I shipped a package and it didn't get to the resident living at the address - I'm filing a claim and pushing for it, but I won't be too butthurt if they deny it.

That said, they really should be checking ID's. How can they expect to charge us extra for insurance and then not really do much to ensure the package gets to the intended address?

Yeah, saw it was Canadian but figured it probably applies to the US in the same manner.

And yes, they really should be checking IDs but they just don't care. They probably lose less money settling cases like this every now and then than having a delay at every second door.

This guy obviously wasn't inside of the house though. The owner of the house had no idea anything was going on, and never received any package of any sort.

That's why I quoted the "any person at the address" part. It's intentionally so vague.

Sucks when people take advantage of others. I hope you catch this fuck, there is truly no honor among thieves. I've had a guitar stolen from a gig before (an ESP LTD H-1001), so I know that feeling of being totally wronged. Good luck.

This is terrible to hear, although I have to say I'm glad it didn't happen here in the Sneap forum, I think I can still say we're a clean community on the buying/trading thing so far, right?

The day it starts to happen here, I'm gonna be really sad.

Jeff, honestly I hope you get this guy, There's no worst scum in the world than those who steal shit from other people

This is terrible to hear, although I have to say I'm glad it didn't happen here in the Sneap forum, I think I can still say we're a clean community on the buying/trading thing so far, right?

The day it starts to happen here, I'm gonna be really sad.

Jeff, honestly I hope you get this guy, There's no worst scum in the world than those who steal shit from other people

Im hoping it will never. For all of the pod tact users that join up, we still have a solid comunity here I think that post daily. :headbang:

Bit of an update - FedEx driver just called me and confirmed that the person who signed for the package was the old hispanic guy who lives at the place I shipped to. Means the guy lied in a criminal investigation before, but it is FedEx drivers word vs his, so I think it's only good for a warrant or for putting pressure on the guy to give up the guitar or the guy who's really behind it all, so we'll see!

ya, could be the driver just trying to cover his ass. Good luck bro, these things are always so frustrating.

They should just add a fingerprint scanner to their little computer they have you sign on.