STOMP 442 - the 'Thrax underrated?

Nov 4, 2004
After something like 10 years since listening to this much misunderstood 'Thrax album, and reading some horrific reviews online recently, I reviited it.

It's even better than I remember; up there with SOWN as the best Bush-era album methinks (Volume 8 had some fine stuff, also a lot of filler, and WCFYA I thought was the poorest of the Bush years).

Some seriously groovy riff monsters on Stomp - the opening 6 tracks make up one of the finest sides (I had the cassette, Side 1 went to 'American Pompeii') of any Anthrax album. 'Random Acts', 'Fueled', 'King Size', 'Bare' - four of my favourites, very different styles on this album.

I put it on my i-pod, looking on google images for some 1995/1996 era pictures of the band, but there isn't much. Has anyone some great band photos from time?

stomp was a great album,much better than sown,a great live show on that tour as well,one of the best anthrax shows ive seen,wasnt very fond of volume 8 either,they had some rough years..

^ I concur with the above. SOWN for me is still the pinnacle Bush era album followed closely by WCFYA. Stomp has grown on me more and more with time. Vol 8 whilst good is my least fav. I am always surprised by the complete difference in sound and tone from Stomp's crunch to Vol 8's almost Pantera like sound. Not saying it's a bad thing but it still surprises me. Vol 8 is for me the least `Anthrax' sounding album they've ever made but that album does have Inside Out and Catharsis - 2 great songs.

^ I concur with the above. SOWN for me is still the pinnacle Bush era album followed closely by WCFYA. Stomp has grown on me more and more with time. Vol 8 whilst good is my least fav. I am always surprised by the complete difference in sound and tone from Stomp's crunch to Vol 8's almost Pantera like sound. Not saying it's a bad thing but it still surprises me. Vol 8 is for me the least `Anthrax' sounding album they've ever made but that album does have Inside Out and Catharsis - 2 great songs.

Catharsis is good, but I'm not particularly fond of Stomp in general. I do rate it higher than Volume 8, though.
SOWN is a brilliant album in my opinon. It's got an overall feel to it that I really like. It's a very complete album in my ears. It's got an overall atmosphere that brings everything toghether in a really nice way.

WCFYA, to me, is the complete opposite to SOWN. It hasn't got that overall continuity to it, but feels like an attempt at covering lots of ground over the course of the albums running time. It kinda works, though, and It's an album that I enjoy considerably more than both Stomp and Vol. 8.

I've listened to the album recently (not the whole thing though, just a few songs) and had to say that I really like the SOUND of that album. This is probably the best sounding Anthrax CD up to date.

I've listened to the album recently (not the whole thing though, just a few songs) and had to say that I really like the SOUND of that album. This is probably the best sounding Anthrax CD up to date.

Tend to agree with you on that one. The sound is so crisp and production is perfect in my book.

The opening song is a sure winner!!
Line the original poster, i too have the cassette. Getting past the first half is quite fun, but the 2nd half is difficult, right after NOTHING...Can't bare to listen to BARE again...just unbearable.

For me, all of these albums never get a full play through anymore. I pick a few songs from each that I really enjoy and the rest are there but just aren't as interesting.

Some of the songs are good, not digging the image they try to portrayed though. Remembered flipping through Metal Edge & seeing pin ups of the band...funny.

..and like the rest of the great songs from the Bushthrax albums ( with the exception of Only), we would never have the chance to hear them live again...