Stoner/Doom/Psychadelic Recommendations

Bump.

I'm lovin' me somes spacey rock a la Monster Magnet's "Dopes to Infinity". What other bands are like this? Orange Goblin? The Hidden Hand? Spiritual Beggars? Sum 41?

Even though you will probably like Orange Goblin, The Hidden Hand (ESPECIALLY THEIR NEW ALBUM) and Spiritual Beggars, they are not similar to Monster Magnet. They are more heavy metal oriented. I cant think of a band similar to "Dopes To Infinity".

I have wanted to check out OG for a while, but I can never find there albums for a decent price, i.e., under $12

I just got Jumbo's Killcrane's new one--The Slow Decay. Very cool doomish sludge--kind of an Eyehategod, Melvins, Nirvana's Bleach thing.

Lately I've been listening to House of Aquarius, the Melvins, ACID KING, Yob, Ufomammut, and of course Kyuss. I need to buy some Acid King, only have a CD-R. Holy shit they are good, a little like Thorr's Hammer but possibly only because of the female vocals.

J., definitely check out House of Aquarius. They have some samples if'n you're interested: http://www.popstopp.com/hoaindex.htm

This is yet another Doomsniffer recommendation by the way, that fucker listens to so many bands. :lol:

markgugs said:
Kyuss. And then their 2 semi-famous offshoots: Fu Manchu and Nebula.
These are two bands I've never heard or heard of connected to Kyuss, and I've been busy collecting post-Kyuss stuff over the past year. So I assume I need some of this eh?

THe few songs I've heard from Fu Manchu were second rate Kyuss, but if you're a Kyuss fanboy, I suppose you need them. Never heard Nebula.

NAD, have you heard Unida?

And where does one acquire this House of Aquarius album?

Haven't found Unida for cheap yet, and haven't heard them. Their website lists the album still for sale, but it's near $20 (cash or personal check only) and their website is a bit of a wasteland so I'm wary. The PO Box is about an hour from me, I suppose I could go down there one day and see if the dudes ever check their mail. :D

If Fu Manchu is a second rate Kyuss I'm probably not interested, I'll try before I buy, or something.

I got House of Aquarius from Vintage Vinyl in case anyone else is wondering. :loco:

I need to bump this to say that everyone even REMOTELY interested in stoner / desert rock needs to track down Slo-burn - Amusing the Amazing EP. John Garcia (vocals) formed this band after Kyuss broke up and laid down probably the best vocals of his career, at least from what I've heard.

That is all.

Fuck that, stoner = best genre name evAr. It even beats out "desert rock" and I very rarely miss a chance to use the word/thought "desert."

It's official: Unida are fucking AWESOME. I have the split EP with Dozer and Coping With the Urban Coyote now and both are pretty frickin' incredible. John Garcia continues to impress me as usual, but with Unida he displays several different vocal techniques all of which are amazing. These dudes lie somewhere between metal and rock, lots of repetition but doesn't get tedious.

Stuff is expensive and hard to find, but man this is so worth it.