Stoner/Doom/Psychadelic Recommendations

The CD-R is being sent as a SAMPLER, so that he may haer stuff that he has not before there-by enabling him to decide whether or not he wants to buy original copies. I will be the first person to agree that there is no substitute for an officially released/pressed album but sometimes you need to PREVIEW something in order to be able to make that decision whether or not it's worth your hard earned $$$. Hopefully this shines a little bit of light on this subject :Spin:

So that one little bit of bad (slightly less than original CD quality) should outweigh the good (my offer to send multiple albums to someone for their listening pleasure)? Seems that happens more often than not much to my dismay. Anyway, i'll have that disc in the mail for you tomorrow JayKeely and also, for the sake of Markgugs, I will refrain from making such generous offers in the future on this forum. Hopefully you'll hear something you like.

You misunderstand me. I said all along that it was very nice of you to make the offer. And without speaking for JayKeeley, he's a big boy, I'm sure he's very appreciative of it.

The fact remains that by saying things like "slightly less than original CD quality" only reflects that you don't have any idea about this sort of thing. Which is fine I guess. I've attempted to educate this place more than once to no success. Why should this be any different?

FYI, an mp3 is approximately 50% of the original sound quality. I don't give a shit what bitrate you sample it at.

But hey, as I ALSO said, don't mind me.

I know exactly what an mp3 does to a song... it compresses and removes some elements from the source. Digital replication though is not perfect in any form because of the sound wave pattern. A true aural representation of audio is best in analog form because the pattern is a true curve whereas digital may mimic a curve but magnified it more closely represents a "stair-step" pattern with no true roundness/curve. On the other hand DVD audio format is of a higher digital quality and the "stair-step" effect is less pronounced more closely resembling the true curve of analog. So yes i know a thing or two :)

lol i didn't cut n paste although that would have been a hell of a lot easier. I read it some time ago, a year or 2 on www.howstuffworks.com don't know if they still have the article up or not but it's worth looking at if anyone is in the least bit interested by such things.

Dark Chapter said:
Anyway, i'll have that disc in the mail for you tomorrow JayKeely
Thank you.

and also, for the sake of Markgugs, I will refrain from making such generous offers in the future on this forum.
Remember what Spock said, as he died in Kirk's arms in part 3, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one". By that I mean, ignore Gugs, he's just a trekkie fan and likes to wear vulcan ears in bed.

This thread rules. I'd like to say that Dark Chapter, you're one helluva nice guy to offer us all this music (thank you for the Less Than Zero offer from earlier as well, and if you feel so inclined, I'd gladly take a copy!).

And yes, mp3s suck for sound quality, but are great for sampling stuff, and make quick and easy downloads.

Monster Magnet. Very good stuff. Beer swillin' big tittied rock n' fuckin' roll. You play Powertrip loud enough around me and I can move mountains. I just put that CD on, I can feel the headbanging rising within me...!

:kickass: THERE IT IS!!!

NAD said:
(thank you for the Less Than Zero offer from earlier as well, and if you feel so inclined, I'd gladly take a copy!).

Alright, PM me your address and if i can i'll send it out to you today :)

markgugs said:
Horseshit, you're just showing that you don't get what an MP3 does to a WAV file either.

[rant]IT COMPRESSES THE SOUND. PERIOD. You cannot convert it back to its original state with anything less than a time machine. You have something that is LESS than what it was before.

It removes every OUNCE of sound above 16,000kHz, in effect, the high-end. It sucks. It is evil. I don't know why no one in here cares, especially since everyone is a music devotee and is as passionate about music as I am.

The fucking MP3 was created when people were lucky if they had 8 GB hard drives. Who needs files that fucking small anyway now? Seriously. There is literally NO reason to ever convert something to an MP3 now, unless you need to digitally transfer a sample of something quickly to someone through the internet. If you're going to go through the trouble of burning it to disc and mailing it, why waste your time fucking it up?[/rant]
You're technically right of course, and I mostly agree with your views, but I'm not really as passionate as you about it because 1) I use (decent-quality) MP3's to listen to music while doing shit on the computer, with computer speakers, and then it won't bloody matter anyway to these ears. I would never burn a CD from MP3's if I didn't absolutely have to. 2) I'm not into bootleg trading, so... but for cruddy audience recordings onto tape etc. you're also not likely to notice much difference if they've been encoded into, say, 192-256 Kbps MP3's. The bottom line is MP3's have their place -- I'm not going to store FLAC's on my hard drive because perfect quality is not an issue when I listen to music on the computer.

Of course, OGG Vorbis is muchly superior to MP3, but that's another discussion.

You are all fools for listening to digitized music. You may not hear the difference, but I can. If it's not the fullness of analog, you are completely cheating yourself. Fuck your cds, fuck music on your computers. You're not hearing the full sound wave. You are all retards. Records rule.

GRAND MAGUS UPDATE:

I just talked to the band. The US version of 'Monumentum' should be out in a month or two on The Music Cartel. I'll also be interviewing the band soon.

If somebody REALLY wants a copy, I'll burn one. Otherwise I'd watch for The End to restock the import. Maybe somebody needs to request for them to restock it.

I guess with my recent order, and all the other squillion things I've yet to listen to, I'll wait for the official release, although I am extremely intrigued based on the Terrorizer write up. I'll leave it to your discretion as to whether you think I need to hear this now or not.

bloodfiredeath said:
You are all fools for listening to digitized music. You may not hear the difference, but I can. If it's not the fullness of analog, you are completely cheating yourself. Fuck your cds, fuck music on your computers. You're not hearing the full sound wave. You are all retards. Records rule.
I can't disagree with you here. I wish I could get the music I collect on vinyl. For the most part, I can't. At least a lot of my bootlegs have original analog sources though, so digitizing them only preserves that.

JayKeeley said:
I guess with my recent order, and all the other squillion things I've yet to listen to, I'll wait for the official release, although I am extremely intrigued based on the Terrorizer write up. I'll leave it to your discretion as to whether you think I need to hear this now or not.
I think you, Dreamlord, and Markgugs (others as well) would really like them, but I just thought I'd let everybody know about the US version coming soon.

If somdbody wants a copy, just email me:

npearce@ultimatemetal.com

Erik said:
You're technically right of course, and I mostly agree with your views, but I'm not really as passionate as you about it because 1) I use (decent-quality) MP3's to listen to music while doing shit on the computer, with computer speakers, and then it won't bloody matter anyway to these ears. I would never burn a CD from MP3's if I didn't absolutely have to. 2) I'm not into bootleg trading, so... but for cruddy audience recordings onto tape etc. you're also not likely to notice much difference if they've been encoded into, say, 192-256 Kbps MP3's. The bottom line is MP3's have their place -- I'm not going to store FLAC's on my hard drive because perfect quality is not an issue when I listen to music on the computer.

Of course, OGG Vorbis is muchly superior to MP3, but that's another discussion.
Yep, OGG is superior, though still technically a "lossy" format. And I would never recommend someone store FLAC, SHN or APE lossless files on their PC UNLESS they did in fact collect live recordings. There's simply no point in encoding studio material to a lossless format.

As for bitrate, while they will in fact SOUND better to your ears (which for many, I realize, is all that matters), they are just as lossy as low bitrate mp3s.

Finally, the only reason this whole conversation took place is because I said it was foolish to encode something to mp3 if you were going to burn it to CD and then mail it. Erik, you mentioned that you "...would never burn a CD from MP3's if I didn't absolutely have to." That's my point. Why would anyone actually HAVE to? I said earlier I can see when you want someone to check out a song or 2 via Soulseek or something like that, it makes no sense to try to "share" or download the .WAV file. So sure, compress it. But if you HAVE the original CDs and are going to go through the trouble of ripping them, burning them onto CDR for someone, and mailing them...why not just preserve the quality of the audio?