Strange 6505 problem(persists after tube swap)

Axonic Rot

Jan 25, 2010
What I was doing with the amp:
I was running the amp like this: amp>DI box>cab
I was using a countryman type 10, which is a really expensive one. so nothing wonky there. They recommend this use for it and the exact wiring I'm using. It passes the load and signal to the cab just fine.

The problem:
It happened all of a sudden while I was using it: The sound is thin, all the low end is gone. There is a pitched squeal that the amp makes all the time. It's so high pitched that it hurts my ears more than it's audible through the cab. It's not really really loud through the cab because guitar cabs sort drop the extreme highs. When looking at the DI signal in my DAW the noise is really obvious on the meter. it's so loud that it floats the meter really high when it should be silent. The noise on the meter is equal to the amps output or possibly louder.

What I did:
I first plugged the amp straight into the cab to make sure that the DI wasn't the issue. I tested the DI with a guitar and with another amp and it works normally. I swapped all the cables and the guitar. I swapped all the power tubes at once and it didn't make any difference. I swapped one preamp tube at a time and there was no difference. Then two at a time, then the whole set.

So now the amp has all new tubes and it's still messed up.

If anyone knows anything about this let me in on everything you know E.G: what component likely failed etc. There is no amp tech where I live, but I might can arrange something or ship it off. I really just want to know what issue I'm looking at trying to get fixed because I'm clueless.

Also if you know a REALLY excellent tech that I can ship to, recommend them to me.