Strange and Beautiful - Not what I was expecting...

Brian... both the Zeppelin influence, as well as my comments about some of late 80s Metal bands, were about their sound becoming a lot bluesier. Queue up the two songs I mentioned above and see if you don;t hear it.

No question that S&B had a blues vibe clearly absent on the first two albums. However, I've always found that the Zeppelin comparison gets thrown around very quickly any time a band falls remotely into that style. Half the time, Jimmy Page is the one making the insinuation that the band is "ripping them off". Zeppelin was so incredibly diverse over their career that its almost hard NOT to record something that is in some small way Zeppelin-esque.

If you have a blues base, you're like LZ.
If you have a high range singer, you're like LZ.
If you utilize exotic instruments, you're like LZ.

The list goes on and on......

No question that S&B had a blues vibe clearly absent on the first two albums. However, I've always found that the Zeppelin comparison gets thrown around very quickly any time a band falls remotely into that style. Half the time, Jimmy Page is the one making the insinuation that the band is "ripping them off". Zeppelin was so incredibly diverse over their career that its almost hard NOT to record something that is in some small way Zeppelin-esque.
Agreed. That said, I have a very strange relationship with Zeppelin; I don't like Zeppelin, but love bands who are heavily influenced by them (Badlands, Kingdom Come, Whitesnake, etc.).

Zod

Agreed. That said, I have a very strange relationship with Zeppelin; I don't like Zeppelin, but love bands who are heavily influenced by them (Badlands, Kingdom Come, Whitesnake, etc.).

Curious as to your age, then. I'm 35, and I am much the same way. I actually backed into Led Zeppelin from bands like those, as everyone always made the LZ comparison. I have since come to really love Zep, but all those 80's bands definitely came first for me.

And Badlands absolutely RULED! That first album was phenominal......

Curious as to your age, then. I'm 35, and I am much the same way. I actually backed into Led Zeppelin from bands like those, as everyone always made the LZ comparison. I have since come to really love Zep, but all those 80's bands definitely came first for me.
I'm also a child of the 80s. I've never been able to develop an appreciation for Zep.Nota huge fan of Plant or Page.

And Badlands absolutely RULED! That first album was phenominal......
Yep...definitelyin my Top 25 of all-time.

Zod

Babylon A.D. IMO sounds nothing like S&B. Perhaps a tiny bit on the "Nothing Sacred" album but on the self titled I dont hear it at all.

I mean there are other bands that have a bluesy vibe as well. Tesla, and Great White back in the day come to mind. Also mentioned in this thread Kingdom Come, and Badlands.

Babylon A.D. self titled is a monstrous disc. Songs like "Bang go the bells", "Maryanne", and "The Kid Goes Wild", absolutely sounds NOTHING like this Crimson Glory album.

Everytime I think of Babylon AD I also think of another killer release during those days with similar production and songs. McQueen Street. Also many don't know that Babylon A.D.'s song "Desperate" was also recorded by Baton Rouge......now theres a band with some soul/blues in them.

Oh and I am not a fan of this Crimson Glory album. I'd use it as a frisbee before putting it in my player.

Led Zeppelin deserve ALL the praise they get simply because they were WAY ahead of everyone else. i mean if you cannot hear the leanings of progressive players like Portnoy in the oddity of John Bonham's style then you are missing something.

i suggest anyone not familiar with the ways of ZEP head back and enjoy those albums now. i mean "Achilles Last Stand" is very much like Yes in ways.

Brian... both the Zeppelin influence, as well as my comments about some of late 80s Metal bands, were about their sound becoming a lot bluesier. Queue up the two songs I mentioned above and see if you don;t hear it.

Zod

I actually have the cd in my car, so I'll toss it in on my way to the gym this afternoon.

Zod

This describes me, exactly. I've never been able to get into Zeppelin, but always respected them at the same time. With that said, I've always loved bands like Badlands, Kingdom Come, and Whitesnake as well. It's funny, because Masterplan covered Black Dog one time as a b side on a single. I have it uploaded onto my mp3 player on a Jorn mix and I love it! :) If you haven't heard Maserplan's version, then check it out. I guarantee you, that you'll like it. Here's the link...

~Brian~

Last edited by a moderator:

I think we are in the same boat. There are a couple Zep songs I like okay (Kashmir is probably the only one I'd say I really like), but I don't mind hearing their influence one bit.

I wonder how much this might have to do with how overplayed they are. I know that's part of the reason I really don't like much Southern rock. *shrug*

That said, I like Strange and Beautiful just fine. I liked it alright back when it came out, and I like it alright now. *shrug* :)

Shaye

I got SO burned out on LZ in highschool, that any "hit" that I hear on the radio is still painful after all these years. I Still have the debut and the BBC sessions in the collection, but they're pretty dusty....

@Shaye: I'd pay money to hear Urban sing Molly Hatchet songs! :lol: :heh:

Well, I went back and listened to S&B yesterday per our conversation here. With that said, I agree that there's a major Led Zeppelin vibe going on with the music. It's funny, because I just didn't notice it during my first listens recently. I do admit though, I was wrong.

~Brian~

S&B. The best album LED ZEPPELIN never made. I love it!!! Totally different for CRIMSON GLORY, but the music was indicative of the era. Many bands back then were doing the ZEP, blues, funk type of shit. CINDERELLA, EXTREME, ELECTRIC BOYS to name a few. Band names in all caps dedicated to booB for the record.