Strategies for Reducing 4k – 6k Fizz on Distorted Guitar

yarrick19

Oct 22, 2005
Idaho
What are some of things you guys are doing to reduce the "fizz" that occurs around the 4khz - 6khz range? I'm using an Ibanez guitar w/ EMG 81 -> maxon 808 -> 5150 -> Mesa Rectifier Cab w/ V30s -> SM57 and this range can get quite "fizzy."

Any tips on getting this range a little smoother sounding?

1st things first: Move the mic

If the mic is on-axis on the center of the cone, you will get a lot of fizz.

You can also position the mic off-axis.

Other things you could try (apart from lowering the gain, which I'm assuming has already been tried) might be removing the SM57's transformer (opens up the sound, helps some of the fizz out, improves low end) or using two carefully placed mics (as in the Fredman method) - EQ would be a good thing to try, but it can only get you so far before it's just destroying the sound.

Jeff

I read somewhere that moving the mic slightly off-axis can help to get rid of off the fizz :

"Try this on each speaker, then compare, find your favourite speaker, then move it about an inch -if that, off centre to try and get rid of that high 10k fizz, maybe filter 60hz down and 12 k upwards out."

I'm not sure... But I think these are Andy's words. From here : http://noise101.wikidot.com/pro-tips. Or maybe another producer.

even better for reducing fizz is one of these
R-121.jpg

+1 - Turn down the gain

Put your ear in front of the cab/speaker. This is what the mic will be picking up. If you sweep your ear around, you can find 1 or 2 speakers that will sound better than the others.

Warning: Don't do this very long! Make it as quick as possible. Find the speaker that sounds the best and then put headphones on and sweep the mic around that speaker to find the sweet spot of that speaker.

The Fredman technique is also a very cool way of cancelling some of those frequencies, if you're looking for that sound.

FWIW, Andy returned the Royer pretty quickly when he tested one.