Stratovarius - Elements p.1 review!

WeekendWarrior

Patriot
Sep 19, 2002
norway
Visit site
http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showreview.php?id=1632&lang=en

Ferdi: One of the highlights of 2002 was when this ezine organised the annual Dutch metalquiz, and the DJ decided to play Strato’s Hunting High And Low from the cd Infinite. Suddenly all boundaries between black, death and power metalfans faded, and a hundred metalheads raised their glasses in unity to sing along to the chorus of the song. Let there be no doubt over the fact that Infinite was one stunning cd. Virtually every note on that cd was on the right place, and each song was an entity on it’s own. Of course it’s nigh-on impossible to top such a splendid cd. But still I was hoping for something a lot better than Elements Pt 1. Because I would’ve settled for something a tad less perfect than Infinite, but to tell the truth I wasn’t prepared for the sub-standard songwriting on this cd. Elements Pt 1 is a guided tour through the musical gutter of uninspired songwriting, with only a couple of decent songs being able to disrupt the everlasting sequence of mediocrity. It seems like songwriter Timo Tolkki was deprived of every form of inspirational thoughts when he took the task of writing this cd upon him. Amidst all these boring songs, a mere three songs stand out in a positive way. The opening track Eagleheart desperately tries to be a second Hunting High And Low, and although it fails in it’s primary task, it remains a good song. The tarantella-esque shredding of Stratofortress also offers a nice challenge to the listener, as does the epic song Elements (clocking a whopping twelve minutes!) which is literally stuffed with good material. The rest of the cd is filled with songs that wouldn’t even be interesting as a b-side. For example: Soul Of A Vagabond (a nice intro of one minute followed by six minutes of boring metal), Find your Own Voice (a dull arranged nobody of a song), Fantasia (slow song without any spectacular highlights), Learning To Fly and Papilion; they’re all songs that never should’ve left the preproduction-stages in their current form. And the closing track A Drop In The Ocean takes the cake, is it even possible to that this slow, dull song serious? It looks like Tomo Tolkki has continued the sub-standard songwriting of his last solo-cd on this album, and that’s a royal bummer. I don’t know what feeling he is trying to bring across, because the only feeling that I get from this cd is boredom. Boredom, and disappointment. Two years ago Strato announced a break to recharge their batteries. I reckon they should’ve stayed away a bit longer, because this cd is far below the capabilities of this band.

Rating: 70/100

Well..not impressing..cool cover though! :)

O U C H !

I agree - I hope they play the old stuff on tour. Wacken is a long way to go to see these new songs...

By the way, did you see the review for Epica. Wow!

Some of the albums I'm really looking forward to are the new ones by Kamelot, Lost Horizon, and Elvenking.

@Symphony - have you heard any Lost Horizon or Elvenking?

JK.....I have the debut Lost Horizon album and it's pretty cool although it's not one I play regularly.

I don't really know much about Elvenking to be honest, although I do know that Alessio was approached about the vocal position in the band this year.

Alessio was approached for that position? Pretty interesting. I think Elvenking played at the last Bloodstock as well didn't they?

Anyway, Heathenreel is one of those cool records that mixes power, prog, black, pagan, folk. Martin Walkyier has co-written a couple of songs for their new album.

By the way, speaking of Alessio, how do you like Arthemis - The Damned Ship? I haven't heard that one yet...

Here's how The End Records described them, thereby sparking an interest....

Great comeback for this melodic powerful heavy metal band. Recommended for fans of Blind Guardian, Helloween and Stratovarius

@Wooks - is your DragonForce a promo? I can't get it in the US anywhere. Silent Steel don't even bother responding to e-mails anymore so I'm giving up on them....

I need to review Masterplan as well - it'll be interesting to see what you think. I've heard one song, and it sounds very....Helloween to be honest (Dark Ride era which perhaps makes sense).

I have a feeling Epica will be easy to review...they've not let me down yet.

@JK - I think Wooks' Dragonforce must be a promo, 'cause if I remember correctly, it'll be released sometime January...

I have the Masterplan: Enlighten Me single/mcd/ep, whatever it is :p and it sounds great! Indeed a bit like Dark Ride-era Helloween.

And about Stratovarius..."Soul of a Vagabond" and "Find Your Own Voice" are available at www.stratovarius.com ....downloading... :)

Originally posted by Kalmakoff
@JK - I think Wooks' Dragonforce must be a promo, 'cause if I remember correctly, it'll be released sometime January...

January 20th, yea :cool: thankfully, at this rate it looks like it won't be postphoned again...

Isn't it funny that despite the panning the Stratovarius album got it's still worth 70/100? Nyar....

I have to agree with you Stratowiruz. Eagleheart is a simple song, but it's quite catchy too :)
The song have alot in common with Hunting high and Low, which by the way, is MUCH better than Eagleheart..I've heard two minutes of the track "fantasia", and it sounded real nice. I'm sure that Elements p.1 will be a great album, but not their best.. I personally think Infinite is their best record ever.

NP: Stratovarius - Millenium