Discussion - favorite Stratovarius album?

Jack Nippleson
May 13, 2007
Stratovarius was one of the first power metal bands I ever heard (along with Blind Guardian - Black Diamond and The Script For My Requiem!) and pretty much what got me interested in being a musician. That was almost ten years ago, wow. I've been spinning their albums Episode, Visions, Destiny, Infinite, and Polaris a lot recently, and have come to the conclusion that Episode is still my all-time favorite.

Almost every track on Episode is a winner. Uncertainty's vocal line in the verses is really the only reason I'm not crazy about it even though its chorus rules, and Babylon is a little plodding and goes on a bit too long for me, but it's not bad. Every other song is gold, though. The production is solid, Tolkki's playing and songwriting never cease to amaze through the whole album, and most of the songs are classics. Father Time is basically the perfect power metal song to me, defining what that type of music is.

Infinite comes close, though Mother Gaia and Infinity are a little lackluster, and some of the other albums just have some bad songs (like Years Go By and Venus In The Morning on Destiny), but I'm always amazed at how many more awesome songs came after Episode. Visions and Infinite are right behind Episode and Polaris is near the top, too, but the more time passes, the harder I find it comparable to earlier Stratovarius because of the change in songwriting and loss of Timo Tolkki. Polaris is still amazing, but I can't really compare it to mid-90s Tolkki anymore.

Thoughts, now that I've gone and fanboyed it up quite a bit? :lol: I'm quite looking forward to Elysium in the new year, the title track is sure to be epic!

We've dealt with this sort of topic elsewhere but to indulge my penchant for lists :D...

Visions
Polaris
Infinite
Fourth Dimension
Dreamspace
Episode
Fright Night
Destiny
Elements, Pt. 1
Elements, Pt. 2
Stratovarius
Twilight Time

For me Visions was what got me into Stratovarius and I still can't listen to just one song off that album I have to listen to it all...same with Polaris and Infinite to an extent. The loss of Timo looked to turn the band on their heads but I'm actually glad now they didn't just stagnate in the same old sound. Polaris amazed me so much not just because it's a stellar (see what I did there? ;) ) album but because it proved they can kick arse without Mr Ego. Compare RR, which was seriously lackluster.

So yeah I'm desperately looking forward to Elysium (although my only criticism so far is that the title is a bit tired and predictable, but then what's in a name...?) and hopefully I get to see them tour with Helloween next February :headbang:

I really hope Helloween makes it over to the States with Stratovarius, that'd be such a killer show.

And yea, Polaris really did prove that they don't need TT anymore. He really kind of bombed after Infinite, in my opinion, with the Elements albums only having a few awesome songs to me (Eagleheart, A Drop in the Ocean, Walk to My Own Song for example) and nothing really appeals to me on the self-titled except Maniac Dance and United. They really have a nice new sound with Matias and Lauri in the band and everyone having more opportunities to contribute. The piano break and guitar solo in Winter Skies... absolutely killer!

I watched some videos last night of Revolution Renaissance playing some Stratovarius tunes live... not only did they play Black Diamond way too fast, but Gus Monsanto really can't sing well, in my opinion, and he totally butchered Anthem of the World. Poor Tolkki. But he made his bed...

For me the album that got me into Stratovarius was Destiny. Great production and killer songs. Also at the top of my list would also include Fourth Dimension, Episode and Visions.

The new Strato has a new lease of life with Mattius and Lauri joining the fold. Polaris was their best album in over 10 years and could be put up there with any of their greatest works.

Winter Skies key/solo break has to be the most magical moment on that whole album... just melodic perfection!

I don't know if I could say I have a favourite album as a whole by Stratovarius, there was always 1-3 tracks I did not like on each album. Though I used to really like most of their old stuff back when they were more hard rock with Tolkki on vocals.

I did go on a phase where I despised the band, Timo Tolkki specifically "due to musical differences", must have been around 1999-2002. It's so long ago to remember everything now but I sold off all their cd's and refused to listen to anything by them anymore from that point on, that was up until the release of Elements Pt. 1 where I decided to give them another chance and soon pitied Timo.

The Chosen Ones was a good compilation as it had alot of their good songs.

The Chosen Ones is a wonderful compilation - doesn't it have Full Moon on it, though? I never understood that, because I always hated that song. Terribly annoying vocals...

The Chosen Ones is a wonderful compilation - doesn't it have Full Moon on it, though? I never understood that, because I always hated that song. Terribly annoying vocals...
Yes, it probably got thrown on their because it was originally the Japanese Bonus track from Dreamspace and not many people heard it? I've seen alot of bonus tracks make it to compilation albums from several bands.

Oh yea, that's right. Other than that and Dreamspace (the song) the compilation is perfect to me.

The Chosen Ones was also a fan made compilation if I remember right, correct?

If I recall correctly the label asked the fans what their favourite tracks were and then put the top voted 16 tracks together.

I did not know that! Wow, that's pretty cool. The fans chose well then, especially with the songs with Tolkki singing - The Hands of Time and Out of the Shadows are two of my most favorite Strato tunes.

I did not know that! Wow, that's pretty cool. The fans chose well then, especially with the songs with Tolkki singing - The Hands of Time and Out of the Shadows are two of my most favorite Strato tunes.

Yes, indeed, aside from 'Full Moon' (I actually like Dreamspace, the song, hehe) it's a great compilation. :)

Dream With Me was also a Japanese Bonus track off of Destiny.

Black Diamond: The Anthology is also a great compilation.

If you don't know about Symfonia, maybe you should check them out - Tolkki's new supergroup project, apparently signed a deal for four albums, and they just got done mastering their debut. Should be interesting!

If you don't know about Symfonia, maybe you should check them out - Tolkki's new supergroup project, apparently signed a deal for four albums, and they just got done mastering their debut. Should be interesting!
Yeah, I do, I am a little hesitant about it like I mentioned elsewhere, but I still have some hope. Good to hear that they've finished mastering though. :)

You know I was just thinking, I feel Revolution Renaissance would have been a great album for Stratovarius if it got released by them in the end.

The Demos are awesome in regards to the music, it's just the quirky demo lyrics that kill it. I love RR's New Era from beginning to end, that probably would have been my favourite Stratovarius album had it been released by them. :)

Haha, the demo lyrics to Last Night On Earth, funny stuff... Actually, I didn't really like New Era that much! Aside from LNOE and Heroes, I thought it was pretty bleh - I'm much happier with Polaris (and, as a result, Elysium) than anything Revolution Renaissance released! Because of that, I'm hesitant about it, too, but the samples I've heard have given me some hope. Mikko Harkin, Tolkki, and Andre Matos? Yesss.

Haha, the demo lyrics to Last Night On Earth, funny stuff... Actually, I didn't really like New Era that much! Aside from LNOE and Heroes, I thought it was pretty bleh - I'm much happier with Polaris (and, as a result, Elysium) than anything Revolution Renaissance released! Because of that, I'm hesitant about it, too, but the samples I've heard have given me some hope. Mikko Harkin, Tolkki, and Andre Matos? Yesss.
If I fornicate in moonlight there's no reason to get mad...

:p

I actually enjoyed all 3 RR albums, hehe, but I'm still hesitant about Symphonia just 'cause Tolkki seems to be changing bands like underwear now. :lol:

Polaris was pretty good, a little meh for me with a few songs that I had high hopes for, but it gave way to Elysium which does rock, Castaway is my favourite track from the album, it just oozes Strato's 95-97 awesomeness.

Stratovarius are one of my fav bands. I like all their albums, havent got Elysium yet, but my fav albums are,
Visions
Elements pt 1
infinite
fourth dimension

Yeah...nice to see the "Strato" discussion continuing in depth.

Prior to "Polaris" I had pretty much given up on them to be honest. I picked up Elysium a week or so ago but haven't had time to properly listen to it as yet I'm afraid.

I remember back in 2000....Kiwi, Herman, Sam and ZP going over to Paris to see Stratovarius/Sonata Arctica, and I was gutted I couldn't go due to work commitments! Grrr!!!!

Yeah...nice to see the "Strato" discussion continuing in depth.

Prior to "Polaris" I had pretty much given up on them to be honest. I picked up Elysium a week or so ago but haven't had time to properly listen to it as yet I'm afraid.

I remember back in 2000....Kiwi, Herman, Sam and ZP going over to Paris to see Stratovarius/Sonata Arctica, and I was gutted I couldn't go due to work commitments! Grrr!!!!

They did that tour with rhapsody didn't they? Was an awesome concert, seen them 3 times here in the Netherlands/Belgium with that set-up. Although the foam canon was a bit overdone ey :)

My fav is dreamspace, and visions is a close second. Each album has a few really solid songs on them anyways. I Keep singing "it's fright night' now, thanks for putting that in my head :)