Stratovarius - Fall North American tour (albeit a short one)

I have no problems with it and I agree that North America is not just the continental United States, but this should be called the NORTH North American Tour.

I see no southern states, and I see no Mexico. :lol:

Due to complaints the tour has been renamed to the 'Fuck off South of Baltimore, North American Tour'

Nationalism bothers me. And yes I genuinely care. Everyone in the US (especially in the northern states) should visit Canada at least once in their life. It's an easy way to see another country, and at the same time it's not enough of a culture shock to scar anyone for life. The money is different. and they say "Eh" a lot, but other than that, they're pretty much just like us.

I highly doubt people in Norway complain when bands on a "Scandinavian tour" stop in Denmark. This sort of behavior is pretty much limited to Americans.

Sorry if I'm a little TOO sensitive though. I've been discussing rampant nationalism and blind faith in our government with morons on other message boards, and I guess my sentiments sort of drifted to this one. This is not the place for such things. In short, I think I'd just say: Go see a metal show in Canada! It's a good sightseeing experience.

Relax Boob. I don't have anything against Canada or their people. Hell, I hope to visit one day. With that said, I think it's odd that a band makes it sound like they're embarking on some massive tour when they do a handful of dates in the northeast and the same in Canada. Basically, my comment wasn't a jab toward Canada, but toward bands in general.

By the way, it's not so damn bad being an American you know....sheeze.

~Brian~

Last I checked, Canada was part of North America, so there's nothing wrong in calling it a North American tour.

Then again, for some people in this forum, an Asian tour includes Australia, so...

I'm with booB on this one.. .totally stupid to bitch about a band visiting canada on a north american tour.

Might hit up the seattle date on this just for shits n' giggles.

I have no problems with it and I agree that North America is not just the continental United States, but this should be called the NORTH North American Tour.

I see no southern states, and I see no Mexico. :lol:

o_O....I'm not even going to bother.....it doesn't matter.

~Brian~

I think it's odd that a band makes it sound like they're embarking on some massive tour when they do a handful of dates in the northeast and the same in Canada.

More than half the dates are either in the midwest or in western Canada/US. And they DID say it was a "short" tour, not a "massive" one, as you put it. Your comments DID seem to suggest that Canada is not important enough to be considered part of North America, or to get tour dates. That's the kind of crap that many Americans spew when they're claiming that the US is better than everyone else.

By the way, it's not so damn bad being an American you know....sheeze.

I didn't say it was. Sheeze.

Your comments DID seem to suggest that Canada is not important enough to be considered part of North America, or to get tour dates. That's the kind of crap that many Americans spew when they're claiming that the US is better than everyone else.

Honestly man, you've read way too much into my comment. Just take it easy and relax. :loco:

~Brian~

Well no way I can make that tour, but I am ready to hear some new Strato with some fresh blood in it.

Why does every goddamned show worth going to in NYC have to be on Saturday? I can't take that day off!:cry::cry::cry:

Why does every goddamned show worth going to in NYC have to be on Saturday? I can't take that day off!:cry::cry::cry:

It's an A-market, and booking agents will frequently try to route their tours to book weekend shows in A-markets because (one hopes) the crowd would be even larger that way.

"Weekend shows" means "Fri and Sat nights," of course, not so much Sundays.

Ruokangas Guitars attended the annual FME (Finnish Metal Expo) event Feb 12. - 14. 2009

Here's the exclusive 'FME 2009 Shred Special' video, featuring Matias Kupiainen of Stratovarius.

Last edited by a moderator:
metalcentral.net / blabbermouth.net
STRATOVARIUS To Release 'Polaris' In May

Finnish melodic metallers STRATOVARIUS will release their brand new studio album, "Polaris", in May. The CD — the group's first since the departure of guitar player and main composer Timo Tolkki — will be made available via the band's new label partner Edel under the new imprint earMUSIC outside of Asia and the band's longtime record company in Asia, JVC.

Commented keyboardist Jens Johansson: "We are very happy to have found strong label partners for the new era of STRATOVARIUS who truly believe in the band and are as enthusiastic as we are. I can't wait to hit the road again and meet all fans who supported us through all our good and bad times."

In September 2008, freed from many burdens of negativity, the band found the freedom to go into seclusion for almost a month in a cottage by the sea in a Finnish forest to relax, laugh, write songs, be creative together, and record. And they found themselves being a band reborn. The result is a melodic, powerful, fresh, tight, and technically elaborate new album.

"Polaris" was recorded in the fall 2008 at Hästholmen and 5by5 studios in Helsinki, Finland. Mixed by the longtime confidant of the band Mikko Karmila the album became another shining polar star at the Northern sky. Powerful melodies mingle with sophisticated arrangements, strong anthems stand alongside heavy songs. 11 songs full of energy, musicianship, and a positive outlook.

Vocalist Timo Kotipelto explains: "'Polaris' is a positive, powerful album that STRATOVARIUS fans all over the world are certain to take to their hearts."

The band will support the release of their new studio album with live shows around the globe. The world tour will start in the U.K., followed by a number of dates in continental Europe. September will see STRATOVARIUS playing live shows in Asia, followed by a full North and South American tour in September/October. A European headlining tour is scheduled for January 2010.

STRATOVARIUS' latest addition is 25-year-old Finnish guitar phenomenon Matias Kupiainen. Drummer Jörg Michael said, "In Matias we found new character who fits perfectly with his way of melodic guitar shredding. He is a killer player, a 'wunderkind' from Finland!"

Excellent news and a very cool name for the new album; a guiding light for their next chapter. Damn, that kid can play! Looking forward to hearing more.

Well, I've had some time to absorb Polaris, the latest Stratovarius release, and I must say, it is totally a breath of fresh air and a leap in the right direction. While they wallowed in the morass of TT's inner turmoil and the legal noose of Universal, it was hard to imagine them crawling out from either to ever do anything viable again.

Ah, so wrong. I don't know how Jens pulled it together, but, fucking-A, he somehow did. Adding the startling talents of guitarist Matias Kupiainen was one thing, but it wouldn't be enough. Stratovarius took a totally different tactic and had nearly every band member contributed to the composing process - to an amazingly creative end. Turns out Lauri Porra is a remarkably talented composer who takes credit for 5/11.

Anyway, here's the review on BeyondEarCandy.com. The version I have is not radio-ready, but as soon as I have the real deal, we'll get it up to share with you. If you've never been a Strato fan, you'll appreciate the progression. If you've ever been even a moderate fan, I dare say you'll love it. Rock on! :headbang:

It's an A-market, and booking agents will frequently try to route their tours to book weekend shows in A-markets because (one hopes) the crowd would be even larger that way.

"Weekend shows" means "Fri and Sat nights," of course, not so much Sundays.
Thank goodness Def Leppard/Poison and Motley Crue/Godsmack are employing this strategy! Those are the nights I can go to shows!:headbang::kickass: Metallica picked Sunday, which is almost as good.:kickass: