Stratovarius Ticket Prices

I agree that the concert business is a tough balance. I would like to believe that bands are trying to consider their fans' budgets. Just the same, the bands have budgets of their own. I'm sure that people bitched about paying $3.00 to see Deep Purple in 1968. It's all a matter of how badly you want to see the band. I personally don't mind shelling out the money. I've paid less to see bands that I like better than Stratovarius, but I've also paid more to see bands that I like less than Stratovarius. For me, it's about the experience of the concert as opposed to the money spent. Langkowski, you even told me once that life should be experienced. If that means shelling out $32.00 to see a band perform in your home town, I say, "Why the hell not?"

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

FYI:

Bands do not set their ticket prices normally.

The promoter of the show will set the ticket price. Bands are generally paid a flat rate for each show. The promoter then sets a price to make whatever profit margin he desires.

Wow. And to think that I thought this thread would be down at the bottom of the page when I signed on next. :D

I would have added more to my initial post but I had a phone call and had to cut it short. To add on a couple things:

1) We all on this board I would consider to be 'die-hards' of bands of this genre. Granted, there probably are a few people who don't consider themselves to be, and I would say that they are in a small minority. So to argue points about the price is basically bantering around the same thoughts to people with the same mindset. So that doesn't really get us anywhere. But chew on this. If everyone that goes to a concert is a regular fan of a band, then what has happened to the tens of thousands of people who USED to flock to arena shows in the not-so-distant past? Did they all just wither up and die? No, the fact of it is, whenever there is anything going on in a social setting in the public where money is charged, be it a sports event, musical concert, or even a hot dog eating contest :loco: , there are people who attend with little to no knowledge of the event, and they too pay money for admission.

They do this out of curiosity for what's going on. Maybe they got some extra money to spend, maybe they are on a date, and maybe they just want to know what's really going on with that after gaining a few grains of knowledege on the subject.

BUT...these people AREN'T die hards. They just want something to do to be entertained for a few hours, to take their minds of their problems, like having a shit job or worrying about the monkey in the white house :D .

My point on all this is...we as die hards know who Stratovarious is. 90% of us have heard at least one song. A lot of us know their material. We would probably across the board pay that ticket price. But would a casual person pay? One who likes Hard Rock and Metal but really has only heard the name passed around? Or maybe people who like the venue but don't know who's playing (sounds weird, but trust me I know this for a fact has happened, and the HOB in Chi is awesome) I'm sorry, but I think that Strat has to do some serious U.S. touring to warrant charging that much for a ticket. I know bands that have a gold album in the U.S. that don't charge that much. To me, you've gotta earn that right to be charging that much, and you do that with repetitive touring. Last time I checked, there are a lot of bands that have come over from Europe and have been back here time and time again and their touring attendance and album sales reflect that.

Yeah, we'll pay the ticket price. But will the other 80% of the venue show up?

Yeah.....I agree with that. Not that I think they're too expensive or anything, and I probably won't be seeing them outside of Prog-Power anyway......but those are the most expensive tickets I've seen out of the shows I've been to, and a lot of those were European bands, sometimes with four or five bands on the bill. So it is above average, but still not overly expensive.

tenebre said:
FYI:

Bands do not set their ticket prices normally.

The promoter of the show will set the ticket price. Bands are generally paid a flat rate for each show. The promoter then sets a price to make whatever profit margin he desires.
Bump!

Barking Pumpkin said:
Are all you people here actually going to go see Stratovarius again outside of Prog Power?

They're great......but not that great to follow them around on tour....^_^

I'll be seeing them in Chicago with friends who have been fans of Strato for years, and who can't make it to Prog Power. I remember communicating with Timo K on a Noise board asking if/when we might get a chance to see them in the US, and while I don't recall the exact wording, his reply pretty much said not for a while, unless things improve for this kind of music. It's all about supporting a band when they tour near you. I hope Strato a) stays together long enough & b) can generate enough interest/success here to make it a regular event.