Stratovarious Ticket Prices-Part II, The Revenge

i mean how can you compare a national band with an international one? it just doesnt make ANY sense... you can see local bands (of your city) for 5 bucks, and national bands for 15 or 20, its the risk that is involved in the concert... international bands for 30 dollars is the right price......if they charge 20 euros in europe, how can you expect for them to charge less in America????

and its just plain maths
35*3000 (atleast in each venue of gigantour, they are playing in stadiums) and 32*300 (very positive number of stratovarius), 7 times more people at least..... so 7 times more money to spread over..................

im a diehard stratovarius, but i also

understand that they dont do charity, they arent going to latin america, they have a lot more fans over there, but they just cant afford the price...

Anyone who attends underground shows knows that Walter_Langkowski is absolutely right...

Hum... I saw Amorphis (with 4 other bands!) for 12 bucks last week.. And Amorphis is from Finland, by the way..

Compared to mainstream events, it's not that bad... But considering the types of venues they are going to play in, it's the most expensive I've EVER seen....

Walter_Langkowski said:
and some of us have more experience to base things on than others.

And just what experience might that be? Bottom line is that Strat fans will pay $10, $20, $30, $40, and I would assume even $50 to see them as most fans have been listening to them for 10 years or so and are thrilled that they are finally making it over here to the U.S.

If you are into music and into live shows, aside from the ticket price being absolutely unreasonable (which it is far from), any fan, imo, is going regardless of the price. They are not coming here and advertising to draw new fans; they are simply giving their long time US fans a chance to see them live w/o traveling to Europe. And again, $30 or so is a small price to pay to see one of your favorite bands live in a small setting where you will most likely have achance to meet them afterwards. Just my take on it.

It's simple... If you think it's worth it to pay that much (as much as it sounds expensive).. Just go to the show and don't complain....
If you don't think it's enough, just shut up and don't attend the concert... I'm positive that they'll have plenty of fans headbanging and having a good time at the show... I wouldn't be surprised if some of the dates are sell-outs... I have to aggree 100% with nightwish58... It's not like they need that many new fans... And it's not like they need some of these "die-hard Stratovarius Fans" that are still complaining because of the price considering this is the first god damn time they're in the US...

Give me a break....

Yea, I know, they should lower prices to "Sonata Arctica" levels, but anyways I'd love to see Sonata in just a 30 minute set at the mostly Hardcore Festival. OH man what would Hardcore fans think of them?

Who cares? Just like I said they're retards that really don't care about the music being played at the concert... All they wanna do is mosh like idiots...

I wouldn't be surprised to see those morons moshing during Sonata's set...

nightwish58 said:
And just what experience might that be? Bottom line is that Strat fans will pay $10, $20, $30, $40, and I would assume even $50 to see them as most fans have been listening to them for 10 years or so and are thrilled that they are finally making it over here to the U.S.

If you are into music and into live shows, aside from the ticket price being absolutely unreasonable (which it is far from), any fan, imo, is going regardless of the price. They are not coming here and advertising to draw new fans; they are simply giving their long time US fans a chance to see them live w/o traveling to Europe. And again, $30 or so is a small price to pay to see one of your favorite bands live in a small setting where you will most likely have achance to meet them afterwards. Just my take on it.

It's not about how much you or anyother person value the show. People have different wants and needs.. It's about the value of this event itself! Have you EVER seen an underground show this expensive?

The value given by each person to this particular concert doesn't make Walter's observetion incorrect...

the standard price in europe is about that, they are not lowering it because of underground shows beeing cheaper, or because the event is expensive in "itself", again a concert is not a commodity, you value the experience.... underground shows are that, underground, people dont care much about the money. The promotor of stratovarius is interested in the money, and again, wont do charity...

what they might want to do is keep the guys that dont really like stratovarius away, which is cool... i dont mind seeing them with other 20 people! that would be awesome.

Walter_Langkowski said:
All I have to say about half of the replies on this post: Pavlov's Dog. Think about it.

And yeah, I'll admit that in a way, I'm bitching about nothing as I have no plans on seeing this show independant from PP. I'm sure I'll get all the Strat I need for one year that night. But still, we are talking about a band who in over 17 years of touring has never had the sack to go and try to break America. And don't give me that bullshit about the market not being conducive to this type of music (see Dream Theater for their sales). And this is not exactly a band who is tiny in Europe either. They have definitely had some significant success in at the very least, the last 7-8 years.

I guess as a fan I find it a tad insulting for someone to come over here and expect their diehards to come up with whatever they deem exceptable to be charging.

And from some of the reactions on here, I would expect some of you to be members of the band to be taking some of these observations so seriously. Calm down and try to remember that we all have opinions, and some of us have more experience to base things on than others.

Cheers. :cool:

Walter, you've got to be kidding? Pavlov's Dog? How about you beating a dead horse.......what about that theory? To come up with whatever they deem exceptable to be charging....do you realize you're going on about $30.00? Geeze man, you're the one that needs to be calming down.

AngraRULES said:
Who cares? Just like I said they're retards that really don't care about the music being played at the concert... All they wanna do is mosh like idiots...

I wouldn't be surprised to see those morons moshing during Sonata's set...

Hahahah yea, Last year fags moshed to Iced Earth... :loco:

It Strat's gettin' $30 on their own dates, and Progpower's only $100 (with all those other great bands), then credit to GH for such good value. I remember talking to a band from Norway who played their first show here in the US a couple years ago (name withheld.... they might not care to advertise this), who said they got paid $6000 US. Out of that, they paid for travel expenses, probably netting no more than $500 for themselves. You can see where it gets tricky on the math. In addition, Stratovarius probably has little to do with determining ticket prices for their shows. See the promoters on that one. Incidentally, off on a tangent here, I live in Vegas, and just saw Motorhead and Twisted Sister this week, two great shows, both sell outs, for a combined $40. Add in CoC, Fozzy, and a couple other openers, and I can't complain. Anyway, I used to work in promotions, and the business side of it all makes me sick. I've met bands who've sold over a million albums that still keep day jobs when they're not touring. Metal bands in particular don't get paid enough for their work. Imagine selling an album at Tower Records for $20, only to get 20 cents back in royalties! And then they have to pay back huge sums of money to record labels for various expenses, out of that rediculous cut. To top it all off, at the end of the day, how do bands ever really know how many records they've sold? Steve Vai has been working with members of Congress recently to propose legislation that would create better accounting standards in the recording industry. The argument is that a band could sell 1 million records, but be told by the label that they've only sold half of that. How can they really tell? They labels are allowed some so much room for 'accounting irregularities', basically meaning they can round things off in their favor, screwing the bands. My point? A lot of these bands only make money (or try to anyway) touring and selling merchandise. When good bands don't make enough to live on, they invariably quit their craft and join the real world. And fans lose out on a future of great music from that artist.

Now - go write your congressman! haha

Petethedrummer said:
$30 for Stratovarius: More than Reasonable
$50 for Rhapsody: Fuck Rhapsody

Funny how the Mass show is only $35 for Rhapsody (or more specifically Manowar since they are the headliner on this). People need to remember the band does not set all the prices. They usually get money to play a venue and the venue decides the prices they need to sell the tickets at to make their money back. Then they usually make much more in alcohol sales. The band will get most of it's money off of merchandise sales. A large part of the reason I try to purchase CDs when I go to shows instead of in stores.

It's the same thing where BB Kings in NYC was trying to sell Nightwish tickets for $35 and "VIP" tickets for $50 the 2nd time they were supposed to play there and Palladium was still charging like $25. If the venue owner knows they can sell the tickets at that price and still sell out or near sell out, they will.

Yea, they make lots of money off merchandise especially if we can not buy a Sonata Arctica or Stratovarius shirt in the US.. We have to order from Europe and the current exchange rate is fucking insane.

When I go to the Metalfest, I'll be buying lots of albums and shirts.

Oh you have more experience than the rest of us to base your opinions on? If you have an opinion thats fine, but if you put it up on a board you better be ready for feedback. You seem to be able to dish it out pretty well but you can't take it. I on the other hand have taken all your points into careful consideration, you have brought up some very relevant points. The fact is I do know alot of how things work behind the scenes being on a planning team for a festival. $30.00 is a good price whether you like it or not. Plus take into account that they have never been here before so they don't know how it will sell. If the tour does well maybe the next tour will be cheaper. It's a risk, plain and simple.