Strings and Gauge for EMG81

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
I'm about to buy strings for my Jackson with Emg81. This will only be for recording (mainly pod xt and 5150 with impulses).

What brand are you guys using for strings and what gauge?:kickass:

Thanks!

I don't see the connection between the size of strings and the pickups you have in your guitar..

but yes, 011-052 will be fine in D, or that 011-049 set too.

010's on top is great too if you want easy bending.

I used to use 12-52's in D standard (for about a year), but when I went to 11-49, I found it so much easier to do expressive subtle bending & vibrato and had no noticable loss of tone, so unless you're out to prove what a man you are, I'd recommend sticking with 11-49. :) And I personally hate those light top/heavy bottom sets, because they're really imbalanced tension-wise and the high strings are too light for me anyway

In the end its all preference. I find the looser the string the sloppier I play. I have 13-56's on my Greco tuned to C# and I play more accurately on that than my Schecter in C# with 12-54's. I played around for ages with string gauges before I found out what worked for me.

True that, whatever is the most comfortable for you - mainly my hostility stems from using thicker strings when I was younger so I wouldn't be made fun of by my other guitarist cohorts, and then when I went (relatively) thinner, realizing what I'd been missing. But I'll still never go beneath 10-46 for standard, so I figure 11-49 for D and 12-54 for C are reasonable increases.