Stuck Mojo/Fozzy - anyone know which cab/techniques Andy used?

dandan

Dec 29, 2005
Hi there

this is my first post and i decided to ask this question cause it seems like yall got lots of knowledge about Andy Sneap and personal experience.

Not sure if anyone else is a fan of these bands but I am : )

So my question is does anyone know what mic'ing techniques were used?

I know that the guitarist Rich Ward used his JCM 800 and that his favorite speakers are 25w greenbacks.

But maybe they used something else on their recordings with Andy?

If anyone has some time to kill and can maybe help me determine what was used/done?

thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Here is a link to some of the songs - hope they are uploaded you can stream them

http://www.myspace.com/mojofoz

Well.. A JCM800 into a greenie loaded cab and mic'd with a 57 with andy at the helm and a proper player on the strings is pretty much a sure fire winner.

i think you have answered your own question.

outside of that gear, there was a mic pre involved, and some very tasty ears...

haha.. i guess i shoulda put 2 + 2 together after seeing what Andy has .

Has Andy always used that double mic technique?

could you explain to me what a mic pre is and where its used?

if its too much to explain maybe you can give me a cut up answer? : )

hmm.. i think he only used triple XXX live. I think he would just rent a peavey 5150 or xxx since it was easier to obtain on the road or something

cause i re-call him saying he thought the lead channel was fizzy and prefered the crunchy channel.

dandan said:
hmm.. i think he only used triple XXX live. I think he would just rent a peavey 5150 or xxx since it was easier to obtain on the road or something

cause i re-call him saying he thought the lead channel was fizzy and prefered the crunchy channel.

Well Fozzy sounds really triplexxx, maybe I'm wrong :)
Anyway great records and great sound!

Maurizio

well i searched for the Mojo info and i apoligize if i upset anyone for asking again haha.

Kaomao were you taking a guess at what Fozzy was using? I've never really heard a triple xxx. I think it sounds pretty thick and powerful on the recording.

dandan said:
well i searched for the Mojo info and i apoligize if i upset anyone for asking again haha.

Kaomao were you taking a guess at what Fozzy was using? I've never really heard a triple xxx. I think it sounds pretty thick and powerful on the recording.

Well live they used for sure triplexx, I've seen pics and videos on the web, even the "duke" website has pics and videos that shows he's using triplexxx.
I thought it was a triplexxx cause on the last blaze the sound is very similar to "All that remains" by fozzy.
Anyway I'm not 100% sure.

Maurizio

On the last UK Mojo tour Rich used a JCM 800 and on the tour previous to that he used a 5150 for the Mojo and Fozzy shows. Mike was using a JSX.

Found this on the Duke website
IMG_0606.jpg

Fozzy at the astoria in London

kaomao said:
Found this on the Duke website
IMG_0606.jpg

Fozzy at the astoria in London

Notice how it wasnt switched on. The 5150 thats behind Rich in the picture was running one cab beneath it and one under the triple XXX that was there as a spare.

LOL Fair enough, dont know what show that was. But at the Astoria show previously mentioned when I setup the backline the Triple XXX was a spare and the 5150 was the working head. Also other shows of theres I have done FOH for Rich has used the 5150 head. The Duke gig at the boarderline he used the 5150 combo and I believe at Download he used one of the first 6505s in the country.
This is whats been used live and may well be totally different to what he records with.

elmuchoescadawg said:
This is whats been used live and may well be totally different to what he records with.

all that remains sound different than 5150, it's more aggressive :)
Anyway I said I'm not 100% sure about this triple, I've seen pics on the web showing he was using triplexxx.
Anyway a really great band I love what duke is doing with fozzy

Maurizio

when i talked to him he said when he is on the road he always has the management rent him a 5150 because its realiable

he didn't sound like he was so hot on the peavey xxx and said it was fizzy.

From all his Mojo shows that were inside the U.S I would see him using a JCM 800

Seems like all his shows over seas were done with 5150/XXX/JCM900 the last tour.

I wonder what he used on All That Remains? I think i read off his forum JCM 800 but the tubes/pre amps were different. He wanted his original tubes but couldn't find any in time to for the recording.

He actually thought his sound was lacking some bite because he couldn't get the pre-amp tubes he wanted or something like that.

But im pretty sure its his modded JCM 800 that he used for All That Remains.