Studio Desks?

Seems very nice. I'll build one myself as soon as I can. If you have the tools and the drawings, you can make one in 2 or 3 days of work using plywood or MDF and spending 7-8x less money. Even if you order from a professional woodworker, it'll probably cost you half of sweetwater's price.

Well if you can build one yourself then you will probably end up spending 4-500$ (atleast with swedish prices) But a woodworker in sweden wood probably charge more then what argosy does.

Yea, I love that desk as well. I just cant bring myself to spend 2000.00 on a desk though. I think i will end up doing a Diy desk some day.

woah...$2000 for a desk?? you could buy a distressor with that...or 2 512c's, or a great river, etc. etc.

i dunno bro, but i like to build things myself. or you could hire a local bad ass carpenter that will make you a beutiful wooden desk. and all you'll have to buy separately would be the rack rails.

Retail studio desks are definitely overpriced. Most are retarded in design too. Rack sides that are way too high and will cause comb-filtering/interference with your monitors' line of fire are common, and all kinds of other silly things. The only designs that appeal to me are the Argosy Aura 260 and Raven.

Seems very nice. I'll build one myself as soon as I can. If you have the tools and the drawings, you can make one in 2 or 3 days of work using plywood or MDF and spending 7-8x less money. Even if you order from a professional woodworker, it'll probably cost you half of sweetwater's price.

Well if you can build one yourself then you will probably end up spending 4-500$ (atleast with swedish prices) But a woodworker in sweden wood probably charge more then what argosy does.

built mine with MDF and ply. Put a freaking nice stain on that hoe, and vwalla!

spent $200 once it was all said and done. (including rails)

There was a local guy trying to sell an 803 here about a year ago. Brand new install in his home studio (basement). He ended up moving out of town and did not have the room for the console at his new place....And he could not find a buyer due to the size.

He was only asking 475 for it by the end. I still don't know if he ever sold it. I tried to find reasons to buy it, but it just didn't make sense for me and my space/level of experience.

^^ That's the one he's got right now, actually. :lol:

The Studio RTA stuff is cool and cheap but it's also... cheap. I have the producer's station or whatever the huge behemoth one is, and it's cool but it's definitely not a super high-quality desk by any means.

i wouldn't describe it as cheeeeap, just...efficient. haha. does its job. i'm 200 pounds and stood on it while hanging some foam and it felt solid as a rock. as far as the difference justifying $200 vs $2000.... the choice is clear.

Producer station sucks imo cause unless you are a stupidly huge guy you'll have to look up at the screen constantly and that fucks with your neck. A studio I worked out of a couple of times has it and I can't stand. Apparently a lot of people don't seem to have problems with it though.

Producer station sucks imo cause unless you are a stupidly huge guy you'll have to look up at the screen constantly and that fucks with your neck. A studio I worked out of a couple of times has it and I can't stand. Apparently a lot of people don't seem to have problems with it though.

I just took the shelf off and use it as a single-level desk. :lol:

I can stand on my RTA desk fine, but it's made of MDF and chips relatively easily, especially near the feet, and it's not rock-solid as far as it staying still when you bump it. It wiggles quite a bit! :lol:

I do enjoy this desk, and will be using it for a second tracking area for my intern when i get a new one. I'm just looking for something a bit more "pro" and a much lower to the ground. Currently i can't put this up against my control room window because it blocks out too much of my view.

im gonna take a saw to mine in my home studio I think.
Take out the angle on the rack to bring the shelf down so I dont break my neck looking up at my screen

I'm with you on that one, totally hated using it. Those multi-levels desks fail on multiple levels.

Trick is to get something large enough to accommodate a desk/MIDI controller, enough rack spaces on the sides to hold your critical outboard, but also not have those racks get in the way of your monitoring.

I just took the shelf off and use it as a single-level desk. :lol:

I can stand on my RTA desk fine, but it's made of MDF and chips relatively easily, especially near the feet, and it's not rock-solid as far as it staying still when you bump it. It wiggles quite a bit! :lol:

I took the rack off my Mixing Station too, I had constant neck pains when working with that desk.

Can't vouch for the build quality, though. It was chipped when it came out of the package, the rack rails weren't aligned and now, less than two years of use, it's totally coming apart.