Studio Door.

Shaun Werle

Dec 30, 2009
Brodheadsville PA
I need to know a few types of doors that would work well for blocking sound between a live and control room, Something you can get at lowes or home depot

Thanks

Get a couple solid wood doors and some weatherstrip, I'd say. Mount one door on each side of the door frame and weatherstrip them. (See what kind of clearance you'd have for doorknobs if you do two doors, though.)

You can use two solid core wood doors together and sandwich a layer of owens corning 703 between them. You'd have to build out the door jam for this and use hefty hinges,... or use two separate doors that open in the opposite directions. Air tight. Specially constructed studio doors and jams can cost in the thousands.

To have good proper studio it's not that simple.
You need a solid core door, reinforce that with an extra 20 or 25mm mdf on top of it. And do weatherstripping.
It's not difficult, but it takes time and you need some heavy duty hinges!

i'm pretty sure you can't get the kind of doors you need from home depot or lowes. I tried looking at both places when purchasing a door for my vocal booth, and there was nothing of the sort:(

Well i know at lowes you can order doors that are acoustically treated but them need to be order and take about 3 weeks to arrive, I plan on getting some doors sooner.

Well I am assuming you did find a door, so where did you find it? haha

And can someone also post some pics of double doors or steer me in the direction to building this?

I'm recently finishing up my liveroom as well and had to deal with the door situation. I grabbed 2x3's, made a frame, outlined the frame on a half inch thick drywall, cut the drywall and screwed it on the frame. then i grabbed some 703's and stuffed them. i used about 2 1/4 of those 2x4 panels. with another half inch drywall, i secured the other frame and did a trial run with it. blasted a mini mp3player with speakers in the live room, temporarily placed the door around where it needed to be listened from the control room. It wasn't completely dead silent but the difference was astonishing. hope that helps. maybe ill take some pictures later.

yeah.. a little airlock, increases the effectiveness MASSIVELY if you have the space to put it in.

You are better off building an extra "mud room" type thing and fitting air between to solid doors. Doesnt have to be BIG just enough to fit 2 doors with like 12 inches of space between them.

+100
We actually utilized the space between the 2 doors at the studio for a nice little mic closet. :D