Stuff you wish you knew earlier

Oct 27, 2007
Montreal, Canada
There is a lot of things I learned in the past months that I felt kind of really pissed off when I learned about them. Here's 2 of them:

1- PRINTING TRACKS

Printing tracks is useful for a lot of stuff. First of all, lot of people say that by printing audio on new tracks instead of bouncing them sounds superior. But the main thing I find useful about printing tracks is that it is soooo much faster than bouncing.

Let's say you have a midi playing audio in a vsti like Pianoteq, from bar 64 to bar 68. I used to solo the midi track and the vsti and bounce them in cubase, so it took a lot of time each time I wanted to have the midi in audio. Instead of doing this, you should print the audio on a new track. Here's how to do this in Cubase:

1- Press F4. Create a new Stereo output Bus. Name it as you wish (let's say Piano for this example)
2- Select the vst intrument track, and choose Piano bus as the output.
3- Create a new track. Select Piano bus as outbut.
4- Place the marker at bar 63. Arm the track you just created, and record until bar 72.
5- Voila, your audio is now printed and it took 1/10 of the time it takes bouncing it.

2- STOP BOUNCING

Another stupid mistake I was doing was, let's say I had the piano track we just printed, with multiple segments across the track, and I wanted to send it to someone. I used to bounce it with my markers at the beginning and at the end of the track. STOP DOING THIS. Instead, just consolidate all the segments, and rename the consolidated file with ''AAA'' at the beginning. Now, just go in the Audio file of your project, and the file will be there, easily found because of the ''AAA'' at the beginning. The problem with this is that you can only have it in wav, at least in Cubase. In pro tools, you can click on the consolidated file, right click it in the bin and select ''export audio file as'', and you will be able to choose the type of file you want.

I know this is some basic stuff, but I can't believe how much time I wasted because I didn't know these simple tips.

In the new Cubase you can consolidate and print a variety of tracks in one move. You no longer have to go fishing through the Audio folder, and you get the benefit of choosing what file type you'd like it printed as.

-I wish I knew the importance of tracking. I used to think miracles were possible in the mix.
-I also wish I knew how important acoustics and good monitoring were.
-The importance of drum phase coherence.
-The importance of editing and preparation before starting a mix.

Great stuff!

Even though you read the manual of your DAW, there are hundreds of small tricks and time savers out there to pick up. The best thing is just to see somebody else work on the same system and you can always pick up something new cool little detail that you can incorporate into your own workflow. Or you can just take a look into this thread. :kickass:

* Cubase 5 and the marker tracks. Huge advantage!
Put cycle markers around a whole song or parts of a song and by double clicking on a cycle marker you've already set up your loop and where you will be working. Also a cool detail is that when double clicking and then bouncing, the bounce will initially have the name of the cycle marker you just clicked i.e the song title.

* There is a huge difference in which order you process your audio. Compression before EQ, Deessing after EQ etc...

* There are no miracles in audio production. If something sucks initially, it will always suck.

* The largest difference between something that sounds stellar and something that sounds mediocre is how much time you've put in on it.

* A bad song will make a bad mix

* A bad recording will make a bad mix

* A bad arrangement will make a bad mix

* When faced with the choice of doing something the easy way or the hard way... always without a doubt choose the hard way because in the end it will be the easy way.

* More microphones doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better.

* 99% of people will hear something louder as sounding better, although the only change is volume.

1: most people are not very vocally talented.

Strict classical and jazz musicians aim to be actual musicians.
A good majority of people that play rock music want to be rock star.
Unfortunately attempts at being a rock star does not automatically go hand in hand with talent.
Sneap must just fucking laugh his ass off at most other producers/AEs knowing he gets to work with muthafuckers that can actually play like Megadeth and Neveremore.

I'm sure Sneap's waded through his own share of shit in his time. Wherever he currently is, he's earned it. Even so, I'm not convinced that all of the bands he works with ace their performances.

Great stuff!

Even though you read the manual of your DAW, there are hundreds of small tricks and time savers out there to pick up. The best thing is just to see somebody else work on the same system and you can always pick up something new cool little detail that you can incorporate into your own workflow. Or you can just take a look into this thread. :kickass:

* Cubase 5 and the marker tracks. Huge advantage!
Put cycle markers around a whole song or parts of a song and by double clicking on a cycle marker you've already set up your loop and where you will be working. Also a cool detail is that when double clicking and then bouncing, the bounce will initially have the name of the cycle marker you just clicked i.e the song title.

* There is a huge difference in which order you process your audio. Compression before EQ, Deessing after EQ etc...

* There are no miracles in audio production. If something sucks initially, it will always suck.

* The largest difference between something that sounds stellar and something that sounds mediocre is how much time you've put in on it.

* A bad song will make a bad mix

* A bad recording will make a bad mix

* A bad arrangement will make a bad mix

* When faced with the choice of doing something the easy way or the hard way... always without a doubt choose the hard way because in the end it will be the easy way.

* More microphones doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better.

* 99% of people will hear something louder as sounding better, although the only change is volume.

Great points.

I don't know it it's because I'm a beginner, but I have a hard time taking the most out of the musicians, like knowing if it's the best they can do, or if they're tight enough. I always end up with a lot of editing and I hate it :yuk:

-DO WHAT SOUNDS GOOD

That was the big one for me. Its really easy to get wrapped up in techniques people discuss on this forum, and trying to apply them word for word in your mix, that you really lose track of what you are doing and if it even benefits the sound. I did a couple of mixes where I would look back at older mixes afterwards and go "wow. the (insert instrument here) sounded alot better on this older mix where I winged it than the new one I just did using this new technique I read about."

100 minutes of extra takes saves you 1000 minutes of extra edits
+1000000000000000000000 :cry:

I tracked 5 songs (quad-tracking) during the last weeks and recorded the other guitarist's tracks very sloppy, but 5 times. I was like "there will be at least one good take" . Bullshit! Shittiest idea ever!
I had to edit like 20 hours and it sounded like shit nevertheless. :puke:
Trying to get a perfect take is SO MUCH faster, easier and sounds better.

1. Highpass and lowpass everything as much as possible.
Use ears when doing.

2. Aux tracks are cool

3. Bass guitar should provide the bottom end, not the guitars.

4. A good distorted guitar sound starts with lowering gain on the amp from the rehearsal setting.

5. Scooped mids are not to be overdone.

6. Having the band present while mixing will cause much distress.

...and lots more I guess. And I still feel like a n00b.

Muting a track in your DAW will mute it when you're exporting it
Same goes for soloing , wish i knew that when i started (rookie mistake)
and also USE AUTOMATION

edit: at erlend , i see you've got a sE reflexion filter, what're they like? im thinking of getting one in a couple of weeks

Leaving headroom and solving problems when tracking instead of leaving them an thinking they'd be easy to repair later in the game.