Stuff you wish you knew earlier

Some of this is repeat but....

1. Convincing a band to spend a few hundred dollars on renting good gear, will in the long run save them thousands on editing and mixing. Much like the 100 minutes of extra tracking will save editing time as mentioned before.

2. Bands have no idea the cost and time it takes to make a "pro" record. Be honest with them and explain it and they'll either A) rethink the budget or the more likely B) will rethink their goals to be more realistic.

3. Most bands are poor. Most bands are awful.

4. While most bands are awful, it's really the shitty ones that help you progress. The better you can make shitty bands sound, the more awesome you'll make a killer band sound.

5. Logic is actually pretty good for mixing in.

I wish I had known that it wasn't worth it to try and fuck around with the cheap garbage entry level stuff.. Working with my RME Fireface is a dream compared to the Presonus garbage I was dealing with.

I also wanna add that after 1 year using cubase, I discovered that the little speaker button is used to monitor what you record with your inserts. During 1 year, I used to record with revalver in standalone and gearbox in insert because I just didn't know the fucking speaker button was used for this. Epic fail is epic.

surely, for "printing" in cubase, you just hit the little freeze button in the VST instruments thing?

does an offline mix down, and transparently puts the frozen files in the mix for you!

what's wrong with solo'ing in cubase? haha

as for me..

*you can do a HELL of a lot with a single '57/'58 and a 2 in 2 out interface, get these, then get nicer stuff later!!

*everyone has their way of doing things. everyone thinks there way is the best. the honest answer is, it doesn't matter. to truely learn something from someone, you need to understand what it is they're doing then be able to apply it with your own style. copy paste gets you no where.

*recording/mixing/editing/mastering is 25% technique 25% effort, and 50% ear, so 2 things, listen, and try and understand what's going on in recordings you want to imitate (imitation is the highest form of flattery, and all), and mix at low volumes, you want to keep your hearing ;)

i think that's all.

thanks,

- Bands will always pick the louder mix. Make sure your favourite mix is the loudest when the band is choosing.

Absolute truth. :headbang:

- Overheads are king. Get 95% of your drum sound from the overheads.
This is correct for every genre BUT metal.

- Quad tracking is lame. A single, well-recorded, rhythm guitar track per side works WAY better.
Incorrect. If quad tracking isn't working for you, you need to push the musicians harder & tighten up your tuning. Quad tracking rules.

Retune before any serious take and seriously consider removing any bad notes or fixable noises. Also, zooming in on your regions in Logic will never lie about how tight your rhythms are.

I also wanna add that after 1 year using cubase, I discovered that the little speaker button is used to monitor what you record with your inserts. During 1 year, I used to record with revalver in standalone and gearbox in insert because I just didn't know the fucking speaker button was used for this. Epic fail is epic.

Haha. I did the same thing in Sonar.
I recorded a blackmetal EP listening to the DI signal from the direct out.
Veeery cumbersome but my god it sounded tight with distortion on!

I wish I knew how bad an AKG D112 sucked before I recorded my first band :l
And also how bad a room can affect drum tones but mainly cymbals, a few years ago I just thought that it would be almost the same in any space

haha so true! When I tried a D6 and a Beta 91 I just wanted to cry :l Seriously, even with proper heading and tuning I can't even find the d112 suitable for anything (not even talking about metal here), it's sounds like it has a blanket over it, so fucking muffled, it sucks. I know many people like it, but geez.. I hate it

This is correct for every genre BUT metal.

Incorrect. If quad tracking isn't working for you, you need to push the musicians harder & tighten up your tuning. Quad tracking rules.

I am absolutely NOT incorrect. Listen, if i'm not metal enough for you guys I simply won't post here. Saying stuff like that, aside from being a kind of a douchebag move to a new guy, isn't productive. The thing about recording is that there is no one right way to do it. I understand we're all passionate about our art, otherwise we wouldn't be doing this, but still... there's no need to question my methods just because yours are different.

- Quad tracking is lame. A single, well-recorded, rhythm guitar track per side works WAY better.

Saying stuff like that, aside from being a kind of a douchebag move to a new guy, isn't productive. The thing about recording is that there is no one right way to do it. I understand we're all passionate about our art, otherwise we wouldn't be doing this, but still... there's no need to question my methods just because yours are different.

I like this version better.