Sturgiscore...6505, Soldano, EMG85....etc

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
not trying to mimic a sturgis-mix of course....just using that title cause I think it fits the style of the music...

so I'm not going for realistic drums etc this time....

this is the first rough mix, I'll have to to some tweaking etc still, but maybe your pointers will help....
Maybe I'll just ignore them...who knows ;)

Thanks for your ears:

Sturgiscore

let me know what you think of the mix (not what you think of the music or the singer or anything PLEASE)

This sounds all to digital for you!lol The guitars are a bit loud. Snare is a bit low in the mix, more "in your face" would be better.

guitars can never be too loud! :)

Agreed.

I like this mix a lot more than your 80's style mix you posted the other day. The guitar tone is good, they sound hyper edited though... which I guess is par for the course with this style of music. Everything sounds nice and polishy.

Had to scrub my ears with paint thinner after hearing the garbage core kids call music though.

Guitars are a tad grainy/boxy for my taste but sound good in the context of the mix. Stupid clean vox lol...they sound a bit quiet to me.

vocals get lost . snare gets lost. bass gets lost.
i have a solution : turn down the guitars haha ! ;-)
seriously they are overpowering everything.
i must say i like the guitar tone though!

i agree with dcb, I'm listening to this at a realistic level (understand : headphones+quite loud), and guitars are making it impossible to listen for a long time, at least for my taste ! A few dB lower would feel better to me ! When they get quieter for the bridge, it feels good and all, and when they come back my ears are bleeding :) Except that, seems pretty legit for the style. I like that guitars sound... real obviously. A good compromise between usual production and joey's style.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed the song despite its core-cheesiness.

vocals get lost . snare gets lost. bass gets lost.
i have a solution : turn down the guitars haha ! ;-)
seriously they are overpowering everything.
i must say i like the guitar tone though!

Well, you know... A mix is always a compromise... And usually it's best to feature the best element more prominently.
I do definitely know about balances etc, but sometimes it's better to not feature each instruments equally:)

even if guitars are loud, I don't feel like something else gets lost.

Unusual mix for you Lasse...but it works.
I'm not a huge fan of it though