A new song for my band (6505 gain on 0.5! Mesa cab etc)

Really nice tone from that 6505! And the song is great too.

The gearbox version of it sounds really good also. Would you like to share the settings for the guitar from the gearbox version? Gearbox preset, URS CSP settings?

Drums sound good as well! Great work!

Really great tone! I like it a lot :kickass: And thanks for the amp settings :headbang:
Could you share your s2.0 preset, please? What was the drums processing? Have you used a lot of plugs outside of S2.0? :Smokin:

Nice tone!

It really isn't hard for me to believe at all that the gain was only on .5. When I had my 5150, I could have the gain on 1 and be happy with a boost.

-Joe

Cheers guys - yeah guitars are quad tracked. Yeah the guitars were reamped, I just track DI's and monitor with gearbox normally.

That said, I jammed with the band today and those same settings were too distorted, so I swapped over to the green channel with the pre gain on 2 (both buttons in obviously). I don't know how well it would hold up recorded but live I think it needs even less gain.

There wouldn't be much point in sharing my preset as I bounce the drums off and work on them with Logic's plugins and stuff. With the gearbox one, its using the dual recto model, tubescreamer and mesa cab sim, 57 on axis. Gain is on about 30% EQ is pretty standard cant remember off the top of my head.

What PRS did you use? I asked it earlier but maybe you didn't notice :D got any pics of it aswell?

Great tone Ed as always
But I notice that the mic is not on axis with the cone is just a little bit angled differently ;)
Great tone!!!!!!!!
"gain on 0.5" hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:
I still wonder how can you have such good gain with those settings ... ;) you're not telling us the truth :lol:

Kao, I have found that with the mic like that it doesn't pick up some of those nasty highs hanging around the dustcap. You just have to make sure you don't go too far off-axis that you start losing that direct air movement straight onto the mic. It is desireable to keep some of those highs also to give the illusion of more gain/distortion with a lower setting on the amp.

Is it my eyes or camera position (parallax error), or is the mic in a different position in both those pics? Top pic looks closer to centre and bottom pic it looks under centre and off to the side some more.

Oh yeah, nice overall sound ED, although I can hear some grainy sound that I also am getting with the oversize cab with the mic on the dustcap that is annoying me at the moment. I am not bagging your sound, I am just pointing out a characteristic of the cab that I don't like too much.

Solid-state distortion ftw. Love those diodes. Who needs tube distortion with a tone like that.

Got that Krank going yet? What's your overall impression of the Mesa Cab?

Yeah you are witnessing some of the effects of paralax (those photo's were taken at the same time) - that said I never keep the mic in the same place for 2 different jobs so I'd keep experimenting instead of copying my position. The top picture is more "true" to where the mic was.

Mao - there is nothing more to it, I'm surprised by peoples reactions that it doesn't seem possible!

Yeah I'm liking the oversized cab, I'm finding it pretty dark - I think the combination of the v30's and the massive size of it! But yeah it gives a nice scooped kind of sound (I'd say maybe more Sneap-esque than stuff with my Marshall's).

Mic pre is a Mackie Onyx 800R, impedance on 300 Ohms I think. I have no problem at all with the pre's on this - great value for money in my book.

The PRS is a custom 22, unfortunately no photos as its the other guitarists. He also has a standard 24 - even one of those would be amazing for me!

With Superior 2.0: I didn't tweak much from the standard kit (other than the slingerland snare, and clear heads on the toms, and plastic beater). I then bounced off the WAV's and processed like I would normal drums in Logic (therefore bypassing all of the S2.0 effects), so a preset wouldn't be too useful. I used a couple of different reverbs, and also mixed some samples in with the bass drum and snare. The bulk of the sound is S2.0 though.

I'm still waiting on a technician to take my Krank in and rewire the transformer to the UK voltage - its taking so long I'm temped to go with an external transformer! Really desperate to get it rigged up.

Ed, it sounds great dude - and people, I don't know why this is so difficult to understand, Ed even said it himself, it's the TS that's giving the majority of the distortion (hence having the gain at 2 o'clock on it) - how come you prefer to get your clipping from that and not from the amp, Ed?

Ed, it sounds great dude - and people, I don't know why this is so difficult to understand, Ed even said it himself, it's the TS that's giving the majority of the distortion (hence having the gain at 2 o'clock on it) - how come you prefer to get your clipping from that and not from the amp, Ed?

I wouldn't say the MAJORITY of the distortion is coming from the TS - its just kind of assisting the amp and driving it a bit more before it hits it. I know its different to the way some people use it around here, but its what works for me.

I do it like that because I like the way it sounds haha I like hitting the amp as hard as possible. Another thing I say very often is that I get the guitarist to pick REALLY hard. Its a similar thing as with bass, I find the instrument just sounds nicer when its played louder.