Sturmgeist Press Release/ Finnish shootings

I don't recall any instances of youths shooting up malls or sporting events or other places where they could kill mass amounts of their peers with relative ease. Something particular about schools is certainly at play here.

Also, VVVVV's use of prevalent seems a bit off. I think prominent is a better word.

Prominent, sure. Semantics argument...for the most part I am meaning to say "more likely" or "more widespread." Thank you for the correction.

Matt and I are discussing why schools in particular can cause shootings now...it's a very interesting concept, rife for discussing...perhaps I can learn something.

Nec correct me if I'm wrong (because I haven't been following this thread), but in this post, you're basically saying that schools need to change so there will be less school shootings? Yet you then go on to say that pinning down one problem and pretending it will solve everything is absurd. Isn't that what you just did?

Nec correct me if I'm wrong (because I haven't been following this thread), but in this post, you're basically saying that schools need to change so there will be less school shootings? Yet you then go on to say that pinning down one problem and pretending it will solve everything is absurd. Isn't that what you just did?
I think he is arguing that since mental illness is not a solvable problem, or at least a problem that is hard to identify,we should solve what we know we can.

Nec, is there any hard evidence that the school is what makes people do school shootings? I mean, it's obvious that school shootings are caused by mental illness (see Cho) but what about schools seems to cause it? It does appear obvious, but there does seem to be a gap between correlation and causation. It could be that schools are targets just because that is where the unstable people receive the most social contact and abuse, and changing the schools will never change that. I feel a little unsure if my reasoning here so correct me where you think I am wrong.

I don't recall any instances of youths shooting up malls or sporting events or other places where they could kill mass amounts of their peers with relative ease. Something particular about schools is certainly at play here.

Also, VVVVV's use of prevalent seems a bit off. I think prominent is a better word.

It's a bit easier to sneak a few uzi's into school than it is a baseball game.

It's a bit easier to sneak a few uzi's into school than it is a baseball game.

Not really. It's certainly not easier than sneaking it into the mall. Hell, in the US, the prevalence of metal detectors in middle and high schools makes these relatively 'hard' targets compared to malls or other places where young people congregate.

Not really. It's certainly not easier than sneaking it into the mall. Hell, in the US, the prevalence of metal detectors in middle and high schools makes these relatively 'hard' targets compared to malls or other places where young people congregate.

Well, this was in Finland.
But going back to it being school.
Walk up to the doors, walk through the doors, alarm goes off, out comes the guns and let the fun begin.

Walk up to mall doors, pull out gun, bang security guards on your ass.

I have learned them all too you fucking dolt. Maybe next time, you could actually get in the argument as opposed to observing from outside then saying that you notice a ton of imperfections in the discussion.

Holy crap dude chill out man. Notice the smilie? Guess not :erk:

Sturmgeist actually does put great sense in his stuff. The question is - can ppl really handle this sense? The music that has such a message in it of course makes a chance of being influenced by it bigger. But on the other side - it's not about music, it's about stupid and weak ppl. If they won't take it from lyrics of a song, they will take a motive from a book, movie, story etc.

Can you actually argue relevant points at all, ever?

If someone has offered the 'explanation' for targeting schools that it's 'easier' to sneak firearms in than in other venues, then surely it is entirely relevant that schools are, in fact, generally more difficult to sneak firearms into than many other potential targets?

Well, this was in Finland.
But going back to it being school.
Walk up to the doors, walk through the doors, alarm goes off, out comes the guns and let the fun begin.

Walk up to mall doors, pull out gun, bang security guards on your ass.

With what? Mall security is armed with powerful...radios.

If someone has offered the 'explanation' for targeting schools that it's 'easier' to sneak firearms in than in other venues, then surely it is entirely relevant that schools are, in fact, generally more difficult to sneak firearms into than many other potential targets?

But it's so much of a deviation from the original argument that it's in fact laughable.

OK nevermind being far away from the original argument, it's extremely far from the topic of school shootings in any case. I'm going to close this soon simply because I think we have reached a rather nice conclusion (no solution, various things cause these problems ranging from mental trauma/problems to various institutions which the child attends, etc.), so there's really nowhere else to go.

Yes, and why didn't all of the people who got fucked up by the system shoot people?
Good God. *The system does not act uniformly on all participants.* Stop trying to simplify this into an issue that can be solved by skimming over articles and using "logic" and "common sense", and start realizing how it fits in to the larger issue of social deviants. Seriously, read a book or something - there have been decades of study that have greatly advanced our understanding of these sorts of things, there's no need to continue using the 19th century approach.