Success Story

Sadistik

Let me die in solitude...
May 30, 2001
California
Visit site
Theres a guy I always sit next to in my music class here at college, and we always talk music. He always hears me going on and on about Opeth, so he borrowed MAYH yesterday from another friend of his. Today he comes in and tells me he went over to the record store and got every Opeth album at once. A successful conversion...

Originally posted by Sadistik
Theres a guy I always sit next to in my music class here at college, and we always talk music. He always hears me going on and on about Opeth, so he borrowed MAYH yesterday from another friend of his. Today he comes in and tells me he went over to the record store and got every Opeth album at once. A successful conversion...
nice!
allways great to get ppl to like the music u like, especially when he does things like that!

good work! but the fact that he borrowed it from another friend shows he at least is already around people who are into metal. it's my dream to convert a sorority girl! :D

Originally posted by Lina
good work! but the fact that he borrowed it from another friend shows he at least is already around people who are into metal. it's my dream to convert a sorority girl! :D

i converted someone from rap so up yours! :D , well he'd bought eminems my name is and a cyprus hill single too. i had to put him on the right track, although hes not fully into metal though.

Originally posted by Sadistik

Good work!!! Thats one more down, about 5.999999 billion to go...

Its always good news when you get people into GOOD music. If only i could convert my friends into likeing Opeth.:mad:

I converted a Limp Bizkit fan, and he actually threw away all of his Limp Bizkit albums.

you people are good, when i show people music like MAYH, they freek out because of the vocal

Originally posted by terrymx
you people are good, when i show people music like MAYH, they freek out because of the vocal

This seems to come up over and over again. The biggest hurdle in getting people into Opeth seems to be the growling vocals. It's a shame that people aren't more opened minded, but hey, whatcha' gonna do? :)

I remember a post a few weeks back where someone said that people have a preconception of what the human voice 'should' sound like. I think that's a really interesting point, but I can't really be bothered elaborating on it... :p

Originally posted by _Transparent_

i converted someone from rap so up yours! :D , well he'd bought eminems my name is and a cyprus hill single too. i had to put him on the right track, although hes not fully into metal though.

I am not fully into metal now ,, can you imagine if Micke was fully into metal and nothing else ,, how much of a difference there would be in the albums , ,it would still be good but,,,,ehhhh ,,, you should never listen to only metal if your a musician ,,,, never limit yourself ,, listen to whatever sounds good to you ,, if that's only metal then well I don't know what to say ,,, but if you listen to something and think"what am I doing listening to this , i'm a metal head" well then ,, don't think that because again you should never limit yourself,,, anyway I'm way of topic ,,, go ahead!

I tried to convert a Metallica fan on Audiogalaxy.He said he downloaded about 20 songs and liked the music but said Mikael couldnt sing worth a shit :( Then he says stuff like "when Opeth is around in 20 years get back to me" and " They should get John Bush as their vocalist, then they'd be a kick ass band". Makes me wonder why I even try...

Originally posted by Human Life
I tried to convert a Metallica fan on Audiogalaxy.He said he downloaded about 20 songs and liked the music but said Mikael couldnt sing worth a shit :( Then he says stuff like "when Opeth is around in 20 years get back to me" and " They should get John Bush as their vocalist, then they'd be a kick ass band". Makes me wonder why I even try...

Wow! This guy is a fucking idiot, IMO.

Originally posted by Human Life
I tried to convert a Metallica fan on Audiogalaxy.He said he downloaded about 20 songs and liked the music but said Mikael couldnt sing worth a shit Then he says stuff like "when Opeth is around in 20 years get back to me" and " They should get John Bush as their vocalist, then they'd be a kick ass band". Makes me wonder why I even try...

Conversely, I have a friend, (an old girlfriend actually), that I gave a burnt copy of Morningrise, (with Apostle in triumph added between Black Rose Immortal and To Bid You Farewell). I made her promise she owuld buy it if she got into it, though. Well she loved To Bid You Farewell. She thinks he has the "sexiest voice she has heard yet". For some reason, though, she couldn't get into Morningrise, (this is beyond me), but when she heard Harvest, she put it on repeat for about an hour, and asked for other songs. I recommended The Drapery Falls, When, Benighted, White Cluster, Bleak and Demon of the Fall. She loves them all, but likes Benighted the least. She can't listen to Demon of the Fall much, because of the feeling his singing in the beginning gives her, (she actually got chills and curled up into a ball the first time she heard it, with an initial reacion of "oh my God!". She has a particular interest in voices). So basically she loves Mikael's voice either way, but something about the music hinders her. I guess it's the fact that they are not catchy. I had given her an In Flames compilation about the same time as the souped up Morningrise, and two weeks later she went out and bought Clayman and Colony. (In Flames are one of her current favorite bands). But I still consider this a success, since she owns every Backstreet Boys album, (doesn't listen to them anymore, obviously).

Originally posted by _Transparent_

yeah, i sold a friend my brothers limp cds, then i converted him :lol: , so he still has them, just he keeps throwing them around and braking them.

I don't know why I'm admiting this, but I have the two most recent Limp albums in my collection. They sit there as a solemn reminder of a darker, and more idiotic past.