super bowl!

I'll start off by saying I loathe the Giants. Maybe loathe is too strong a word... Hate. Hate is good. I hate the Giants. I hate the Redskins and Eagles too, but that's what any upstanding Dallas Cowboys fan has to do. I can't root for a division rival to win no matter what. That being said, I hate the Patriots as much as, if not more than, the Giants/Redskins/Eagles. Bill Belicheat doesn't deserve to be there and I would like nothing more than to see them go undefeated all this way only to lose in the big game.

So, what's a guy to do when the only outcome is a bad one? Do the unthinkable: Root for a tie.

Yes, Yes... I am not that much of an idiot to know that there is absolutely ZERO chance the Super Bowl will end in a tie. The game will go on for a month if that is how many 15-minute overtimes it takes to determine a winner. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Unfortunately the only way my "dream" will happen is if some sort of unforeseen and unthinkable event occurs on Super Bowl Sunday - i.e. that UFO sighted in West Texas hovers over the roof of the University of Phoenix Stadium and sucks up both teams, their coaching staffs, their water boys, their cheerleaders (nah, scratch that - leave the cheerleaders), the field, and their mascots. Then and only then could the game end in a tie. So, please little green men, please come back and save the world from the horror that is a Giants/Pats Super Bowl! :lol:

This is a classic, I bow to you Todd for this summation, I still love anyway brother.

If New England had ONE loss, I'd be pretty indifferent about the winner of the super bowl... but, as a Dolphins Fan, I am rooting for the giants :) I still want that 72 Dolphins to be the only unbeaten champion...

I hope Eli upstages his Brother with one of the biggest wins in all sports and I hope Tom Brady gets the tuck rule shoved right up his arse!!!

The Patriots will win. They have too many role players that are nearly equal to superstars on the NY team. The game won't be a blowout because The Giants have one of the best defensive lines there has ever been in NFL history.
Look for more of guys like Maroney and especially Faulk to be the determining factor as opposed to Brady and Moss. Although this will be a fair weather game, even great coaches like Bellichick get a little conservative and rely on brute force. Look for the backs and TE to be big producers in the game.
My team is The Steelers, but I already knew the season was done when they had to play Jax. The Jags gave the toughest stand The Patriots will have to weather through this year. I LOVE Coach Tomlin. He kept Lebeau on his staff..... and that says monumental things. Tomlin isn't about self gratification.... he is about winning.

Bryant

I hope Eli upstages his Brother with one of the biggest wins in all sports and I hope Tom Brady gets the tuck rule shoved right up his arse!!!

Eli is a dufus compared to Peyton, but NFL football is a 53 man game plus coaches. Eli has protected the football lately. Turnovers are the third most important stat in football. NY has a small chance.

Bryant

A buddy just forwarded this to me... never thought I'd have something in common with a dictator (WARNING: contains strong language in subtitles if you're sensitive to that):

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess everyone missed the stats where it showed Eli had pretty much the same stats Peyton had at this point in his career?
I'm just glad Homo had a hissy fit during his game. That man throws way too many passes that should be intercepted every time and somehow turn into 20 yard gains. It came back to haunt him in that Buffalo game but it's a shame my Bills have sucked so bad the last few years that they couldn't get a win from 6 turnovers.

Well Brady might be hurt and if he is they will loose. But if he plays they will win.

Bear

brady has already said he will play for sure

even if he didnt play, the patriots might still pull it out, not a one man team

Brady plays like he did against SD it will be a lot tougher to win than it was against SD.
Hell, If SD had a healthy Rivers and LT, that game very well could have played out differently.

I guess it's tough for anyone outside of the home crowd to like a team that goes undefeated, no matter what the circumstances. I remember hating the Chicago Bulls so much during their 6 championship streak, and now in retrospect, whatever, they were a great team.

But keep in mind, the Pats won their first few Superbowls with NO particularly good players. You have to respect the fact that every single player on that team overachieved to make that happen. The Rams had Bruce, Holt, Prohl, and Marshall Faulk. I don't even remember who the Pats were countering with, and I'm an avid fan from Boston. Troy Brown....some other dudes. Brady won 3 Superbowls with no big name players. This year he got some talent and they tore everyone apart. Plus, everyone in the world was on the 'Randy Moss is washed up' bandwagon. I personally love seeing the Pats continue to persevere in the face of people doubting them and underestimating them - even through an UNDEFEATED season. The Jacksonville corner saying he wasn't impressed with Brady's performance was the ridiculous cherry on top of a whole season of similar stupidity.

The Pats are awesome because they started doing things teams should have been doing for YEARS. Going for 4th downs beyond less than a yard is the example that stands out most in my mind. Holmgren humiliated himself with a few decisions to punt against Green Bay, decisions that would be conservative to say the least, and stupid to speak frankly. There have been so many times this season that I would say about another team playing the Pats in a tight game that if they had any balls they would go for a TD rather than a field goal, or something of the like, because you have to let it all hang out against the Pats, but they never did and they all lost.

People who complain about the videotape thing lack perspective. There is not a single person who would, if it were their fav team that did that, be like 'oh man, I'm embarrassed for us, we suck'. For god's sake, its one thing if you find hidden cameras set up on their sideline, this was a guy holding a MONSTER video camera in plain sight. That's so obviously a dumb mistake that the PR guys decided 'whats better here, say we didn't know, have everyone not believe us, look like cheats AND liars... or just take it on the chin?' That was so clearly just a 'thought we were allowed to do this' deal. Its funny to be furious at that and then look at the 50 'official' cameras and the machines printing out still frames every 3 seconds, and the 30 designated radio frequencies.

I would predict the following for the Superbowl:

I think the Giants will come out with a very similar game plan as they did in the last meeting on the idea that the strategy of shutting down Moss with the trade off being freeing up a bit of the short range game was the way to go. They probably are thinking 'if we had executed a few key plays in that game we could have won - lets do the same thing, but execute in those key moments.' Unfortunately for them, I think the Pats figured them out. Eli cannot deal with pressure, he curls up like a pill bug. It'll be a decently good game because 1. Giants Defensive line is absurd 2. Pats have no good answer for Plaxico's speed and height 3. Jacobs is a tank and will make all 3rd and short situations far more likely to be converted for firsts.

That said, Lawrence Maroney will have a solid game and at least match Jacobs in yardage. Welker will be available all day for 10 yard passes. Expect Stallworth to be more of a factor than he has been in many games while the deep coverage leans towards Moss. Expect Moss to catch one huge bomb in a flat out one on one victory. Expect Brady to lead the Pats to victory with a stellar performance.

If Brady did not play, Pats would lose... but he will play and be fine.

Brady will go down as the best QB of all time. It's always easier to look to the past for things like that because you have no chance of being wrong. Half the people who laud Montana, etc, are probably not even that familiar with his career - it's just a well regarded name. Compare Brady's entire career with the same duration of any other quarterback's best years and Brady comes out on top. It'll be many years before people finally realize that, of course, safely in retrospect.

The Pats are awesome because they started doing things teams should have been doing for YEARS. Going for 4th downs beyond less than a yard is the example that stands out most in my mind.

yea man!

also i love how the pats actually pass on first down

The Giants have dumb-lucked their way into the Super Bowl. That's fine, since luck is often times a big factor in pro sports. I don't give them a chance in hell of winning, and if they do, they still aren't the better team and everyone knows it. I hate pretty much anything related to Boston sports, but I'm still rooting for the Pats(or more accurately Tom Brady.)

My prediction: 34-14 Pats.

hmmm.....certainly dumb-lucked their way to the playoffs to some degree as they were definitely not a playoff team most of the year. They have however outplayed their opponents in the playoffs....very little dumb luck there. With that said.....could easily see that as a final score...but being a Giant fan...I'll give them another six and take seven from the Pats: 27-20