super terrific hidden backing vocal track stereo field placement!

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
so i was listening to all that remains' newest cd (produced by adam d), and i was listening in mono with the L side phase inverted (usually results in loud guitars and cymbals). in this mode you can often hear backing vocals.

i never quite understood how to get a vocal track into this "area" of the stereo field. cymbals and guitars always seem to show up here, but how do SOME backing vocals end up here?

im sort of convinced i've missed something to get this effect because the placement seems very well (very clear and audible in volume, yet not up front with with the main vocal tracks).

does anyone know how to get a track to "go here", or what type of treatment to a track makes it end up in this area of the stereo field?

Haas effect or something?
Or maybe ORTF recording... I don't have that album so I can check it myself.

i sorta figured it out, but not quite

if you take two vocal tracks that are completely different (two seperate recordings of the same vocal part)

and hard pan left and right, you SORTA get the effect, but in order for the volume to compare to something like the all that remains backup (not very loud in regular mix, but very loud in the mono inverted phase) im not quite there yet...

i've messed with imaging (like s1 from waves), and all kinds of other things. for the time being i am satisfied with the song im mixing, but in the future i want to know how to get those super loud (powerful?) back ups that arent loud in the up front stereo mix

hmmm... Maybe in addition to the full left and right, run both those side tracks back to a center panned track, but at a much lower level.... I know that kinda gives a wider stereo image, and maybe when you mono it it will be louder.... I dunno...