Superhero Movie Burnout???

monoxide_child

New Metal Member
Jul 30, 2008
i really want to know
is it just me, or does anyone else feel like there's just too many of them coming out too fast?
i love superhero movies because i've spent my whole freaking life addicted to the comics, (learned how to read earlier than normal reading the words in Amazing Spiderman) but for the people that are seeing every superhero movie because they're watching every movie that hits theaters, i think that these people are prolly getting bored/confused/annoyed with the seemingly endless number of movies that have superheros in them

this year alone we have Ghost Rider 2, Avengers, Spiderman re-boot, Superman re-boot, and a Batman movie

list of superhero movies already planned for after this year
Fantastic Four re-boot, Silver Surfer in a movie without the Fantastic Four in it at all, Daredevil re-boot, Deadpool, 3rd Ghost Rider, Avengers movie being a trilogy, Thor 2, Iron man 3, Captain America 2, Spiderman re-boot being a trilogy with a with another re-boot after that with the first 6 being made by Sony with the 7th Spiderman movie being made by Disney (Disney execs already arguing with each other over whether 7th spiderman movie will have organic webshooters or mechanical webshooters even though the 4th spiderman movie hasn't even hit theaters yet)
and that's just Marvel's characters
DC is planning
Flash movie, Wonder Woman movie, Green Lantern sequel, and a Justice League movie

i think that at somepoint the general public will totally fed up with superhero movies and they'll stop being made, kinda like when America was obsessed with Jean-Claude Van Dam/Stephen Segal/Chuck Norris-type movies and then they just kinda stopped being made
there are superhero fanatics that will watch any movie that has any superhero in it, but i feel like eventually (possibly in the next few years) the general movie-going public will get sick of superheros being on the big screen every 5 min
what are you guys' thoughts on this?

In my opinion, as long as there are good SH movies, people will continue to watch them. I, for one, am looking forward to almost all the movies you listed.

In my opinion, as long as there are good SH movies, people will continue to watch them. I, for one, am looking forward to almost all the movies you listed.

yeah, as long as they're well made movies
but what if the quality of superhero movies starts to decline?
what if the writers start getting lazy and all the newer superhero movies start becoming really lame rip-offs of the earlier superhero movies?
that might happen at somepoint

also
i think people are going to get confused/bored/annoyed with all these freaking re-boots, with the re-boots almost always re-telling the "origin story"
the 7th Spiderman movie will show the spider-bite-injecting-powers-into-peter-parker-story for the 3rd time, does the general movie going public really need to see it more than once? and what american wasn't already familiar with the spider-bite-origin-story before the first movie anyway? re-boots can get annoyingly repetative

There are several reasons why they keep being made.

The biggest reason is that many of them broke box office records, so if people come out in droves to see them, why stop?

The other reasons though have to do with the economics of movie making. In many cases, a studio's parent company might own the rights to the book already, so the studio could finance a superhero movie with a guaranteed fanbase AND sell licensed products such as toys and video games without having to spend any money acquiring these rights. In essence, it's free money. Finally, studios don't have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (or even millions in some cases) on acquiring screenplays (if you watched Entourage, you'll see them poking at how valuable a good screenplay can be worth when E tried to manage a bunch of screenwriters. It can be a lucretive business in of itself!). Just pay a screenwriter to format a script off the text that's already there (the comic)!

There are several reasons why they keep being made.

The biggest reason is that many of them broke box office records, so if people come out in droves to see them, why stop?

The other reasons though have to do with the economics of movie making. In many cases, a studio's parent company might own the rights to the book already, so the studio could finance a superhero movie with a guaranteed fanbase AND sell licensed products such as toys and video games without having to spend any money acquiring these rights. In essence, it's free money. Finally, studios don't have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (or even millions in some cases) on acquiring screenplays (if you watched Entourage, you'll see them poking at how valuable a good screenplay can be worth when E tried to manage a bunch of screenwriters. It can be a lucretive business in of itself!). Just pay a screenwriter to format a script off the text that's already there (the comic)!

so
you're saying that superhero movies will still keep being made even after they all start being total crap?!?!

Well, I saw all three of the Marvel movies last year, so I'm not necessarily tired of it as of yet. The problem this year are the reboots, which I'm not terribly excited about. I do not think Spider-Man needs a reboot, and I have some real questions about how they are going about it. As for Superman, I just have little excitement for Zach Snyder.

BTW, you haven't covered all of Marvel's plans. While I haven't heard about a Daredevil reboot, I have heard of Edgar Wright writing an Ant-Man film and upcoming plans for a potential Inhumans film.

they are making a "WHAT IF?" movie??? what is going to be the main story?

sidenote....only comic book fans will get the joke.

I still remember the "What If the Black Uniform Actually Took Over Peter Parker" one. It was one of my favorites "What If" Marvel stories...

I still remember the "What If the Black Uniform Actually Took Over Peter Parker" one. It was one of my favorites "What If" Marvel stories...

I still have my "What if Blink had lived?" comic.

Back when Marvel swore they would never ever bring her back.

Then they brought her back.

LOL I know, right? Here's another group who keeps coming back even though they were supposedly "done" so many times:

kisscomc.jpg

Maybe KISS is still secretly signed to Marvel to the point that every few years they "return"? LOL

One thing I've learned about Marvel over the years is that no one ever stays dead. That's why deaths in the Marvel universe have no impact, since they will figure out how to resurrect a character, no matter how dead the character is.

One thing I've learned about Marvel over the years is that no one ever stays dead. That's why deaths in the Marvel universe have no impact, since they will figure out how to resurrect a character, no matter how dead the character is.

this is the one thing I hate about Marvel. They kill off someone for media attention but to bring them back in less than a year. It ruins any impact the story has. They bought back Guardian from Alpha Flight again.....that s one character that needed to stay dead. It made the team what it was.

this is the one thing I hate about Marvel. They kill off someone for media attention but to bring them back in less than a year. It ruins any impact the story has. They bought back Guardian from Alpha Flight again.....that s one character that needed to stay dead. It made the team what it was.

I had to read up to see what they've done since I've stopped reading the book. The first time they brought him back wasn't bad, in that the reaction of the people around him and dealing with a guy everyone thought was dead and wasn't quite the same was good to have. But, it seems to have degenerated into sillyness. You can really only pull that trick once.

is the Blink that is back the same one from Exiles though? or is it the one who was killed back in the terrible Age of Apocalypse storyline? I stopped all the X books years ago.

Blink was introduced and quickly killed off right before the Age Of Apocalypse storyline ala Thunderbird. She made a reappearance in the AoA storyline and was brought back in the main universe somehow. By then, tho, I had stopped reading the X-Books. I just remember a lot of fans were upset that a character they barely knew got killed very quickly.

I had to read up to see what they've done since I've stopped reading the book. The first time they brought him back wasn't bad, in that the reaction of the people around him and dealing with a guy everyone thought was dead and wasn't quite the same was good to have. But, it seems to have degenerated into sillyness. You can really only pull that trick once.

Blink was introduced and quickly killed off right before the Age Of Apocalypse storyline ala Thunderbird. She made a reappearance in the AoA storyline and was brought back in the main universe somehow. By then, tho, I had stopped reading the X-Books. I just remember a lot of fans were upset that a character they barely knew got killed very quickly.

the Blink that's currently alive is NOT the same one that died
the one that died was not born in Earth 616, but neither was the one that's currently living in Earth 616, as i understand it, the one currently walking around has figured out how to travel between alternate realities/timelines like the character called X-Man (Nate Grey)

DC killed Superman as a publicity stunt and brought him back cuz no one actually really intended for him to stay dead
same thing with killing bruce wayne

but Marvel tends to re-animate people when the fans want to see that dead person come back from the dead

Well, I saw all three of the Marvel movies last year, so I'm not necessarily tired of it as of yet. The problem this year are the reboots, which I'm not terribly excited about. I do not think Spider-Man needs a reboot, and I have some real questions about how they are going about it. As for Superman, I just have little excitement for Zach Snyder.

BTW, you haven't covered all of Marvel's plans. While I haven't heard about a Daredevil reboot, I have heard of Edgar Wright writing an Ant-Man film and upcoming plans for a potential Inhumans film.

i've heard that they've already written a script for avengers 2, and ant man's going to have a big role in it and they just wanted to do an ant-man origin story before teaming him up with the other avenger characters

anyway
back to the movies
bitching about re-animating dead characters in the comics needs to be a whole seperate thread

I was once a BIG collector of super hero movies, tv shows, etc having a very extensive collection with Indian Superman movies, Batman musicals, unaired pilots, stag films, etc. This was long before a new Marvel movie was out every other weekend. At first I was rather excited but it does seem that every other one really blows; Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, Ghost Rider, Superman, these were just terrible. But not quite sure if I'm tired of them yet. But what is the alternative glittering vampires?