Superhero Movie Burnout???

The last few superhero movies I saw were Captain America and Thor. I thought both of them were pretty good, with CA coming out ahead by a good lead. I want to see Avengers, but probably won't till it's on disc.

i saw captain america but i didn't get around to seeing thor yet, everyone else that's seen both movies says thor was way better, and the avengers totally rocked, greatest movie of the year

I'd much prefer to see something different though, like the Watchmen movie. That movie rocked. There are enough non-Marvel universe books out there to make some great movies from. Let's see a Preacher movie! I'd love to see people get all up in arms over that one.

the watchmen movie was freaking awesome, still one of my favorite all time movies, a lot of fan-boys bitched that "the movie didn't match the comic" but for me personnally all those specific moments where the movie contradicted the comic looked like alan more had made a bunch of mistakes and zak snyder had fixed them

wildstorm vertigo darkhorse image top cow all have stuff that could be awesoeme movies, but DC's material mostly sucks and DC really just can't get their shit together when it comes to making movies,
according to imdb there's going to be a flash movie a wonderwoman movie and a justice league movie all going to start filming soon and i think that they are all going to suck

Wasn't Preacher supposed to be adapted for a series (HBO maybe) at some point?

it's in "development hell"

the watchmen movie was freaking awesome, still one of my favorite all time movies, a lot of fan-boys bitched that "the movie didn't match the comic" but for me personnally all those specific moments where the movie contradicted the comic looked like alan more had made a bunch of mistakes and zak snyder had fixed them

If anything, I think Snyder was too faithful to the books. Really, the story as written in the books is too damn big for a movie. I think Terry Gilliam was right, that it should have been a mini-series. Funny thing is, that's probably more doable nowadays than when Gilliam was working on it.

I think some reimagining can be good. I liked what they did with V for Vendetta, for example. They modified the story so it works as a film, rather than be a slave to the original book. (And I don't care what Alan Moore thinks, since he's going to hate it regardless.)

Personally, I was kinda interested when Paul Greengrass was attached and was talking about moving the story to modern times. Obviously, it would have been a very different story and I'm not sure it would have worked, but I don't know if people before my generation would really understand the politcal climate in the 80s which Watchmen was very much tied to.

BTW, Avengers was an awesome movie.
Avengers was totally awesome
also awesome was the original-screen-play-super-hero-movie Chronicle, there were no masks/spandex/capes or double identities, but it was a movie in which 3 of the characters aquire superpowers, reminded me of that Unbreakable movie with Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson
If anything, I think Snyder was too faithful to the books. i still stand by my statement that Snyder fixed Moore's mistakes, one of the most horrendous mistakes that was really awesomely fixed is doctor manhattan's diologue, if you read the comic, skipping over the scenes that don't have manhattan in them, you'll notice that in the comic manhattan's diologue doesn't really make sense, in the movie his dialogue is totally fixed Really, the story as written in the books is too damn big for a movie. I think Terry Gilliam was right, that it should have been a mini-series. if it had been made into a mini-series, they would have ended up doing a shot for shot copy of the books which would have sucked, i like how they changed the "psionic monster" into a bomb, with everone thinking dr manhattan was attacking earth, better explains why manhattan leaves earth at the very end, and the parts with dan drieberg doing more stuff than in the comic made him a much more 3-dimensional, more human character Funny thing is, that's probably more doable nowadays than when Gilliam was working on it. it's totally doable now, but no one would watch it now because of how much all those critics hated the watchmen movie

I think some reimagining can be good. I liked what they did with V for Vendetta, for example. They modified the story so it works as a film, rather than be a slave to the original book. this is how i feel about the watchmen movie, the edited out parts were edited out for time, to fit the watmen into a single movie instead of doing it as a mini-series, also love how rorschach gets his "face" back from the therapist in the movie (And I don't care what Alan Moore thinks, since he's going to hate it regardless.)
i would love to see alan moore face-2-face and tell him that i felt Zak Snyder fixed the mistakes he made in the comic, alan moore didn't want to have anything to do with the making of a watchmen movie that wasn't going to be a complete panel-to-frame copy of his comic, and i'd like to tell moore that his caomic was full of mistakes an Snyder fixed them, moore thinks he's the most awesome comic-book-writer of all time and i'd like to tell him that he's not and that Brad Meltzer's Identity Crisis was way better than Alan Moore's Watchmen

Personally, I was kinda interested when Paul Greengrass was attached and was talking about moving the story to modern times. my understanding was that it would have been exactly the same except for the time-frames for real-world-events, where the death of the comedian would occur in the same year that the movie hits theaters, so that the audience would better feel the importance of solving the comedian's murder, and everyone would be de-aged where Osterman's Accident with the intrinsic feild subtractor doesn't happen untill after the end of the veitnam war and the scene with the comedien and doctor manhattan fighting side-by-side in the military is up-dated to be "desert storm" Obviously, it would have been a very different story not neccassarily and I'm not sure it would have worked, it could have totally worked, in that it could have easily been a movie really really entertaining to those specific people that have never read the comic but I don't know if people before my generation would really understand the politcal climate in the 80s which Watchmen was very much tied to.
the answer is no, some of the people involved really wanted that "R" rating instead of "pg-13" because they understood that there really wasn't anyway in hell anyone under 18 would have been old enough to clearly remember the political climate of the the 80's, if they'd done the whole modernizing thing i described above they would have given the movie a "pg-13" rating and made it accessable to people so young that they have no idea about the world politics of the 80's, and a pg-13 watchmen would have totally sucked

this new spiderman movie is going to be a trilogy
some financial website says that andrew garfield has already been paid for all 3 spiderman movies

with other websites complaining that garfield is getting less for a whole 3 spiderman movies than the amount that tobey got for just the very first one

it's common knowledge that Disney is going to start filming a 7th spiderman just as soon as sony's 6th spiderman movie hits theaters and even before the Avengers movie hit theaters, the marvel-disney production team had already announced that there were going to be 3 avengers movies made instead of just one
and someone involved in those movies has announced that they're going to try to get sony's permission to put Spiderman in the 3rd avengers movie

and because disney wants their own spiderman trilogy (with the origin story apearing for a 3rd time on the big screen) instead of just a one-shot
disney is now expecting spiderman to appear on the big screen at least 10 times

the original tobey trilogy
the andrew garfield trilogy
a disney trilogy after that
and spiderman apearing in the 3rd disney made avengers movie

so maybe no one's really feeling burned out buy superhero movies yet, but i think those specific people that are getting up to go see every single superhero movie being made are going to get burned out by spiderman movies

it's really kinda like how the people that read DC comics are bitching that all of DC's movies are all just batman and superman
DC's got a huge stable of characters that aren't being used just because of christopher nolan announcing that he doesn't want to see any superhero cross-over movies, and the studio's just doing what nolan says just because the heath ledger movie made so much fucking money, and they don't want to bring out movies featuring anyone other than batman or superman because they don't want a box-office-bomb like green lantern was

it's really kinda like how the people that read DC comics are bitching that all of DC's movies are all just batman and superman
DC's got a huge stable of characters that aren't being used just because of christopher nolan announcing that he doesn't want to see any superhero cross-over movies, and the studio's just doing what nolan says just because the heath ledger movie made so much fucking money, and they don't want to bring out movies featuring anyone other than batman or superman because they don't want a box-office-bomb like green lantern was

It's a shame that Watchmen came out because they could make a movie about The Question. I doubt non-comic fans would know that The Question came first.

That being said, in a perfect world, there would be a Booster Gold movie! :D

Yeah, I'll be seeing Spider-Man tonight.. we'll see how that goes.

DC has been trying to get Wonder Woman on the big screen since the middle of the linda carter tv show, and i don't understand the problem their having getting it done, if DC got the casting and costuming done right, i think DC could get every straight guy and every lesbian in america cramming into the theater on the opening day just to see "a hot woman in a sexy outfit on the big screen"

also DC is planing on doing a flash movie, and since a lot of people merely know the flash simply as "the guy that can run faster than superman" this movie could end up being done really badly and suck as bad as the green lantern movie, but the people that actually read comics know about flash having other powers and i think the studio could make a really good flash movie if the producers read this first
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Force#Abilities

DC has been trying to get Wonder Woman on the big screen since the middle of the linda carter tv show, and i don't understand the problem their having getting it done, if DC got the casting and costuming done right, i think DC could get every straight guy and every lesbian in america cramming into the theater on the opening day just to see "a hot woman in a sexy outfit on the big screen"

Too bad they couldn't grab Lucy Lawless when she was in her prime. She was basically born for the role.

It's a shame that Watchmen came out because they could make a movie about The Question. I doubt non-comic fans would know that The Question came first.

Rorschach wasn't Vic Sage's in-universe replacement, you're thinking of Rene Montoya, Rorschach was an alternate-history-version of the Question, so you could still do a Question movie, (maybe DC might put Qustion in their upcoming Justice League movie) for me though, i would do it as a comedy, where the Vic Sage Question is done as parody of Rorschach

That being said, in a perfect world, there would be a Booster Gold movie! :D

booster gold is from the future, so DC's prolly not gonna want to give him a solo movie, cuz it would be alot easier for them to just do a movie where booster gold is a time traveling messenger coming back to "the present day" to warn the justice league about something

Yeah, I'll be seeing Spider-Man tonight.. we'll see how that goes.

i'm gonna see new spiderman movie tonight too, also i'm already protesting the 7th spiderman movie, do we really need to see the origin story on the big screen for a 3rd time???

Too bad they couldn't grab Lucy Lawless when she was in her prime. She was basically born for the role.

i was thinking someone where straight guys would be telling their straight-guy-friends, "hey that really sexy chick from [insert movie title or tv show name here] is playing Wonder Woman, we have to go see this!!!"

i really don't know which woman would work for this

i'm thinking maybe
"that sexy chick from underworld" (Kate Beckinsale)
maybe

Maybe this is the comic fan in me talking, but Wonder Woman is more than just a sexy chick. She's supposed to be strong and muscular, too. Kate Beckinsdale is nice to look at, but she's no WW.

Looking a bit Greek wouldn't hurt, either.

wonder-woman1.jpg

Maybe this is the comic fan in me talking, but Wonder Woman is more than just a sexy chick. She's supposed to be strong and muscular, too. Kate Beckinsdale is nice to look at, but she's no WW.

wonder-woman1.jpg

Hmmmm...good luck trying to find ANY woman who looks like an Adam Hughes drawing. For my money, he's the best "good girl" artist in the business.

wonder-woman1.jpg

First, no human woman is going to look like an Adam Hughes illustration.

Second, Beckinsale could play that role.

o-KATE-BECKINSALE-WOMENS-HEALTH-570.jpg

i'm still kinda on the fence about whether or not kate could do a good wonder woman

but you really can't have "an unknown" play wonder woman, it just won't work

the only way a wonder woman movie is going to do well at the box office is if you cast a woman who is already a universally-recognizable-sexy-chick as wonder woman,

i'm still kinda on the fence about whether or not kate could do a good wonder woman

but you really can't have "an unknown" play wonder woman, it just won't work

the only way a wonder woman movie is going to do well at the box office is if you cast a woman who is already a universally-recognizable-sexy-chick as wonder woman,

The success of both Captain America and Thor would suggest otherwise. You can cast an unknown in the lead role. Go too high profile and it's gimmicky.

Just saw the Amazing Spider-Man. It wasn't too bad at all. It dragged a bit, but it says something that the big Lizard battle was the least interesting part of the story.

i saw it last night
it wasn't the best superhero movie ever
but it was pretty good
i liked that it had lots of stuff in the movie looked like "set-ups for a sequel" although some movie critics referred to these moments as "unanswered questions"
what i didn't like was the scene towards the end with peter and gwen standing in peter's doorway, it's a badly done copy of the last scene in the first spiderman movie, was so horrible that i was really happy that it wasn't the last second of the movie, it totally looks like it originally was the last second of the movie and that everything after that was made in response to someone bitching about the end being crap

The success of both Captain America and Thor would suggest otherwise. You can cast an unknown in the lead role. Go too high profile and it's gimmicky.

1st
captain america and Thor had built-in-audiences that prolly would have had a problem with those characters being played by already known superstars
2nd
wonder woman's built-in-audience prolly won't really have a problem with wonder woman being played by someone already famous
3rd
if wonder woman was played by a "sexy chick" straight guys and lesbians will flock to the theater the opening day

tickets for the new batman movie went on sale a couple of weeks ago even though the movie doesn't come out for another couple of weeks... it makes me think that maybe if enough people buy their tickets ahead of time, a really crappy movie could do well opening week-end and that maybe the tickets are on sale early because someone at the studio thinks this movie is a piece of crap

Yes, this, absolutely. You saw what happened with Green Lantern. D:

3rd
if wonder woman was played by a "sexy chick" straight guys and lesbians will flock to the theater the opening day

Um.. I dunno about that. There are a lot of "sexy chick" movies out there that do not do well. Maybe all the straight guys and lebsians were sick?

Yes, this, absolutely. You saw what happened with Green Lantern. D:

wait a min, wait a min, an unknown as green lantern would not have worked as well for green lantern as it did for thor and captain america, because much much less of the general pop knew who green lantern was, if an unknown had played green lantern, the general public's reaction to the movie would have been more apathetic and confused, everyone would have been like, "who the hell is this obscure character that's getting his own superhero movie infront of wonder woman?" seriously, when the movie came out there was a huge-ass-amount of people that either didn't know who the fuck green lantern was or just didn't know who hal jordan was cuz they knew http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stewart_(comics) from the justice league cartoons or they knew http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Rayner from the newer comics, seriosly, some of my friends a hard time getting into the theater, because there were people picketing the movie theater in dallas texas, because "the racist movie producers wouldn't let a black guy on the big screen" and i personnally saw with my own eyes 2 people spend a whole 45 min arguing over whether the green lantern in the movie should have been kyle rayner or john stewart and i swear to god, NEITHER of them knew who the fuck hal jordan was, and think this would have been the thrust of the bad publicity the movie would have gotten if green lantern had casted an unknown, for green lantern to have worked as a movie, they would have needed a celeb as hal, but they just picked the wrong one, prior to green lantern, ryan had a fan base of straight women and gay men that had loved him in all those movies he had done, lots of women though ryan was as sexy-as-hell in that last blade movie and wade wilson in X-men origins wolverine, it didn't work for green lantern because the studio was trying to get ryan's already existing fan-base to see a superhero movie, and ryan's fan-base was people people that hated superheros or just had no idea who the fuck hal jordan was, it's the same thing the casting director was doing casting andrew garfield as spiderman the producers wanted straight girls and gay guys to see spiderman thinking garfield is as sexy as hell, and that didn't work, because straight women and gay guys aren't the guys reading the spiderman comics, the people reading the spiderman comic are totaly straight males who think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felicia_Hardy is sexy, i'm talking about the straight guys that buy all the x-men movies on dvd so they can spend countless hours jacking off to the scenes of storm and rougue in the black leather, those are the guys reading the spiderman comic, and these guys hate this new garfield movie, as for green lantern, i pesonnally would have casted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Reynolds those specific people who didn't know who the hell green lantern was till the movie came out would have recognized the actor as "richard castle" but the hard-core hal jordan fans would have recognized him as "captain mal" everyone in the theater would have been happy with that casting choice and it would have made a shit-load more money than casting an unknown as hal jordan

Um.. I dunno about that. There are a lot of "sexy chick" movies out there that do not do well. Maybe all the straight guys and lebsians were sick?
the original underworld movie would not have gotten any sequels if it hadn't been for the straight guys and lesbians thinking that kate beckensale was sexy

also all my friends have spent the last month bitching that anne hathaway as catwoman is nowhere near as sexy as michelle pfieffer as catwoman