Surtur Rising impressions

First impression is I'm not liking it at all. Almost like it's not even AA.

Will listen to it thoroughly a few times and see after then, but not holding my breath at this point

Listened to the album a few times through. Think the reason I was shocked was how slow it is compared to their old sound. :(

It is however growing on me in some ways. I like beef and heavy.

:yow: planetickets are wel over € 1.500,-
And that's a single trip!
That's a bummer....

Single trips are always stupid prices, check a round trip to either city, taht's about what you'll end up paying, then call a travel agency and have them check for prices for flying into one and out of another city.

The airlines are not to be used for such travels, they'll have you bend over and then do unpleasant things to you...

I paid around 900€ for the flights, round trip.

Forgot to say that I love the artwork for the album. Even the stuff in the CD booklet is absolutely awesome. Amon Amarth's artwork is usually great, but I think this is the best so far.

I'm really digging the slow section of "A Beast Am I"............. would be nice to see a few more like it.

Came to post the same thing. I haven't had a chance to listen to the album while reading the lyrics, but I wish AA would go back to the Once Sent days in terms of style. The lyrics back then were filled with emotion, and had amazing storytelling.

Also, the songs were usually lengthy, and kind of "anthem-y". The slow section in A Beast Am I is GREAT, because they've never done anything like that before. If they worked in more slow/acoustic stuff like this, it would be godlike, and would change up their sound to how people perceive them now.

AA is my favourite band, I love all their shit (with the exception of the Crusher), but even I can admit that they absolutely do not stray very far from what they know. I'd like to see them take more risks in their songs. Amon Amarth can do melodies like no other band, I LOVE the melodic aspect to their music, it speaks to me and it's something I can't get from other bands.

Also, even from looking at their tracklists it seems like they're getting into a trend. Take the last 3 albums, the fastest track on the album is usually track 3 or 4. Destroyer of the Universe, Asator, Where is Your God?. It seems like their recent albums are structured not only in terms of the actual SONGS, but also how the songs are ARRANGED on the album. This doesn't help their cause when it comes to people saying that they're a one trick pony.

Overall though, the album seems really solid. And it may sound like I don't like them that much after reading what I just wrote lol, but I just want them to evolve their sound much more. I know they are capable, because every so often, for example the acoustic part on A Beast Am I, they show glimpses of truly changing for the better, and I think that would be best for them and all of us as well!

Amon Amarth should never do slows part again, i hate it, and i'm sure a lot more people hate it too; if they start doing slow parts they will lose their pinch, they will be like all the other bands, they should stay brutal and melodic, and do more songs like gods of war arise and victorious march

If they worked in more slow/acoustic stuff like this, it would be godlike, and would change up their sound to how people perceive them now.

Amon Amarth should never do slows part again, i hate it, and i'm sure a lot more people hate it too; if they start doing slow parts they will lose their pinch, they will be like all the other bands, they should stay brutal and melodic, and do more songs like gods of war arise and victorious march

83 brutal tracks over 8 melodic albums does not satisfy you?

At some point they will have to start to evolve. I cant imagine AA going on further without changing their style a bit. Even with this album you can definitely notice the small subtle changes of progression.

I absolutely LOVE the slower songs by AA ;)
For example Under the Northern Star is just epic stuff in my opinion, and so is The Last Stand Of Frej.
Right now I'm listening to this:
Simply beautiful I think.

I definately do not mind slow songs, neither blastbeats. If they keep the right balance between fast slow and midetempo everything is fine.

My opinion about Surtur Rising:
I think AA managed to deliver another outstanding piece of music. I think it's pretty much on par with TOTTG regarding the quality level, slightly below WOOOS though.
War of the Gods is pretty much the perfect opener just like Twilight... was for the last album. Chorus melody is just sticking in your brain, beautiful solo. Nice kick-off :D

I really like the gloomy atmosphere of Töck's Taunt. And the semi-acoustic part leading into another solo is damn great as well as the chorus is another time. These guys just know how to set highlights with their choruses ;)
Would like to hear some more acoustic parts in the future. If blended in well at the right position those could really create some outstanding moments and make AA's sound a bit more diverse. Would love to hear this song live together with Hermods Ride to Hel!

Destroyer of the Universe: The title says it all I guess :D Brutal Verse turning into melodic chorus = Hit works once more. A real neckbreaker!

Slaves of Fear: Very solid midtempo Song with another damn sticky melody and also very nice melodic verse riffing. And once you got the outro melody in your head it stays there...

Live without Regrets did not impress me too much on the first listen but this one is definately a grower. Really like it by now. Typical AA stuff I would say. Solid and very good, but not too outstanding.

The Last Stand of Frej is one the Highlights on SR in my opinion. The melody in the middle part gives me fucking goosebumps everytime and the slight orchestration just increases the epicness of it :worship: Don't like the solo on this one too much though, just not fitting so good into the song as all the other ones on this Album. Didn't know why in the first place but after reading in the booklet that it is done by a guest I know why it doesn't fit.

For Victory or Death sounds a bit cheesy on the first runs but after getting used too the sound of the intro melody I recognized this one as another great addition to this album. Once again it's the middle part that makes it outstanding to me. No one can do these riffings like AA :worship:

Why did they make Wrath of the Norsemen so short?! This chorus just cries out for another repetion after an epic solo or something put in between. This melody can haunt you for days...but there's worse things on earth I guess :lol:

A Beast I Am hadn't had too muc impact on me instantly but I think it is pretty solid stuff. A bit too unmelodic for AA though. The slower part is pretty good. After a while this one gets catchier. Still not got a sticky melody to it.
The Interlude is ok, nothing outstanding though.

Doom Over Dead Man may have the weakest opening of all Songs on the Album. There's just a tad too much orchestration for an AA song. Nice experiment though. As the song goes on it gets better and better. Once more the Tremolo-Part + the Outro really stand out on this one. All in all a bit weaker than the rest, still very good though ;)

Alltogehter another really amazing Album by almighty Amon Amarth :worship: (just like expected :lol:). Great job guys! Keep it up! Can't wait for May 24th :headbang:

Haven't watched the DVD yet, probably gonna do that tonight :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely LOVE the slower songs by AA ;)
For example Under the Northern Star is just epic stuff in my opinion, and so is The Last Stand Of Frej.

I'm not talking about the kind of "slowness" of Under the northern star or the last stand of frej (those two are one of my favoritesà) but i'm talking about acoustic parts, and the slow part in the middle of A Beast Am I, for me it really really did kill the song though when i first listen to it i said to myself, this will be the best one on this album but then it turned down calm and i didnt love it at all

And just one more thing AA, plzzzzz don't use guest player to make ur solos, u can play way much better than them, it's really disappointing, but as i said earlier somewhere, this album is very very great, so much energy and melody, and for me it's the second best album after WOOOS (this one was just perfect, no other word would describe it)

I'm not talking about the kind of "slowness" of Under the northern star or the last stand of frej (those two are one of my favoritesà) but i'm talking about acoustic parts, and the slow part in the middle of A Beast Am I, for me it really really did kill the song though when i first listen to it i said to myself, this will be the best one on this album but then it turned down calm and i didnt love it at all

And just one more thing AA, plzzzzz don't use guest player to make ur solos, u can play way much better than them, it's really disappointing, but as i said earlier somewhere, this album is very very great, so much energy and melody, and for me it's the second best album after WOOOS (this one was just perfect, no other word would describe it)

Then I got you a bit wrong there, sorry ;)

For me the slower part in A Beast Am I is what makes this song kinda balanced in a way. If they would just blast through it I don't think I would call it a really good song. I'm just not that much into blast-beat-tempo. They included that part very well to lead into another good solo. Without the slower part before it the solo would't fit the song at all, so it does serve a purpose ^^ But that's just my opinion, you're of course free to have your own :D

Also, as I'm listening to a lot of folk/medieval stuff besides Death Metal I'm used to acoustic parts and really like them a lot. That's why I wouldn't mind one here or there. Just not too much of that, then I'm fine with it.

My overall impression of the cd is great and to me much better than twilight. My least favorite tracks are slaves of fear,for victory or death, and doom over dead man. I'm dying to hear the bonus covers i opted out on the collector's edition.

Listened to it about.... Five of six times now, and I think it's pretty good. Not as good as Versus, Twilight or With Oden though. So, their fourth best album I'd say.

Standout tracks :
Doom Over Death Man
The Last Stand of Frej
A Beast Am I
Wrath of the Norsemen

I agree with all the people who say that slower/acoustic sections should be implemented in future songs, I think it'd be a welcome change from their "norm" and could add some really great moments if used right.

"This latest studio venture captures various elements from previous releases (the analog sound of “Fate of Norns”, the brutality of “With Oden on Our Side”, and the epic riffs of “Twilight of the Thunder God”), binding them in the fires of Múspellsheimr to create what is arguably their best production to date."

for an in depth look of how i felt about the album, go here

What a great way to get into Death Metal!

Gods of War Arise is definitely one of my favourites.