Surtur Rising impressions

I am le ffffuuuuuuuuuuuu. My preorder is STILL fucking held up in Canadian customs. Why didn't they ship the fucking thing earlier to avoid this shit? I STILL haven't heard the goddamn thing. All my hate and rage.

I am le ffffuuuuuuuuuuuu. My preorder is STILL fucking held up in Canadian customs. Why didn't they ship the fucking thing earlier to avoid this shit? I STILL haven't heard the goddamn thing. All my hate and rage.

:lol: That's horrible! At this point, maybe you should just go out and buy one from the store.

Well I guess at this point it would make sense going on youtube or something like that ;)

This happened to me with the signed Behemoth DVD back in the fall. The tracking site would not change, and I never saw the order. I tried calling customs and the post office, and nothing was done about it. Behemoth's web shop was awesome enough to send another one to me :D

My only advice is to phone Maple Music and tell them your situation.

Best of luck!

:lol: That's horrible! At this point, maybe you should just go out and buy one from the store.
I'm a college student with no money. Shelling out for the super-awesome preorder was already more than I could afford.

This happened to me with the signed Behemoth DVD back in the fall. The tracking site would not change, and I never saw the order. I tried calling customs and the post office, and nothing was done about it. Behemoth's web shop was awesome enough to send another one to me :D

My only advice is to phone Maple Music and tell them your situation.

Best of luck!
I emailed the people who are doing the NA preorders. They say to allow up to 45 days. This is fucking absurd. It's a fucking preorder. The album came out 2 weeks ago. It's fucking pathetic. I pay through the nose for S&H and this is what I fucking get?

Ah well. It'll come when it comes.

my pre-order was cancelled by company i went through (CDWOW!). this is what they said:

Dear Gareth,

We are writing regarding your order for "Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising (Deluxe Boxset)".

We have been informed by our supplier that the release of Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising (Deluxe Boxset) has been withdrawn by the record label. This is due to faulty stock arriving at the record label, and it has been decided not to be repressed.

As the item is not going to come in stock, we have cancelled the order. Please let us know if you wish to have some other title (of the same value or less) in exchange of this cancelled product. If you wish to have a refund, we will process it straight away.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and look forward to your reply, upon which we will do our very best to assist you.

i managed to find it at another store here in Melbourne. i've listened to it a few times now and i'm really enjoying it. naturally a band is going to evolve over the years. i guess what we are missing as die hard fans is that overall rawness? either way, i'm really enjoying the album and cannot wait til the tour Australia again! \m/

It definitely took more than a few tries for me to enjoy the album. I am probably on listen 20-25 of the album, and it gets better every time I hear it. It's actually one of my favourite AA albums. I haven't listened to the songs on their own because I enjoy listening to a whole album rather than a playlist of some sort. It's a very solid album from beginning to end:headbang:

So I literally just got it (haven't listened to it yet) but my first first impressions are...wow, that fucking gatefold looks fucking beautiful. That is some amazing artwork. The digipack is pretty sexy as well.

And secondly, I hadn't seen the tracklisting for the DVD before. I took one look at it and teared up a bit. HOLY SHIT. I have been whining about the unavailability of the Bochum footage/audio basically since it happened, and criticized the band/management for wallet-raping older fans by releasing it one-by-one with the rereleases, forcing us to repurchase content we'd already paid for if we wanted to hear it. And now they throw THE WHOLE FUCKING THING in with the new album, just for shits'n'giggles (seriously, the preorder was like $10, that's pretty goddamn cheap just for the album itself, nevermind a couple hours of DVD stuff)...not only is this an amazing gift to their older fans, but it lets their newer fans hear the classic material. What a fucking class act. I fucking love this band.

Now to actually listen to the album...

I think it's great. I don't really have any complaints aside from the fact that there aren't any tracks that really stand out to me, and there were on TotTG. It's definitely better than the new shitty In Flames album will be.

I listened to it the other day and thought it was a very solid album. My only complaint is the amount of lamely played leads on the album. A lot of them sound very labored and just forced, like they were really hard to play even though they're like half notes.

I listened to it the other day and thought it was a very solid album. My only complaint is the amount of lamely played leads on the album. A lot of them sound very labored and just forced, like they were really hard to play even though they're like half notes.

what do you mean exactly??
can u give us some examples about that issue??

I agree about the leads. Previous AA albums have had fairly few leads, tastefully chosen. This album pretty much insisted on one in every song, and they really weren't very good.

I've listened to the album about 4 times. It's really not their best work...can't decide whether it's better or worse than TotTG, but it's towards the bottom of their discography. I actually approve of the lack of an obvious single (War of the Gods being the only real contender) and that they relied less on big choruses. However, I'd divide the album into songs that branched out a bit and songs that stayed true to the AA formula. The songs that stuck with the formula are all pretty mediocre, except War of the Gods. Even War of the Gods feels like they've done it before and better, but it's still pretty good. Songs that branched out a bit (Tock's Taunt and Wrath of the Norsemen playing with actual death metal, Slaves of Fear going towards a more grooving sound and some actually dark sounding parts, Doom Over Dead Man just being fucking awesome) were by far the best. The only song that really belongs in the upper echelons of AA's catalog is Doom Over Dead Man, although the others mentioned are all playlist-worthy, if you're the kind of fag who makes playlists. Live Without Regrets is the most generic song the band has ever done. Overall, the impression I have after 4 listens is that the formula is getting stale and played out, but with a little experimentation and taking a few risks the band can still produce some pretty killer material.

*disclaimer* I've only listened to this like 4 times and 3 of those were while doing other things. Thus this opinion is subject to (possibly dramatic) change. I've already noticed the album growing on me a bit. I'll post my opinion again after a bunch more listens.

i agree you have to give it some time, i originaly didn't like tock's taunt but it is now one of my favourites on the album. to be fair it isn't as good as twilight and miles behind with oden on our side but it's still amon amarth with a solid if unspectacular album and trhat's good enough for me.

I'm just thinking of the album as a bonus alongside the DVD. :p And hey, it's a reason for them to tour. I must say my enthusiasm for the upcoming US tour is slightly dimmed by the knowledge that they'll be playing the album in its entirety, given that their discography is laden with songs I desperately want to see live that they almost certainly will not play. Still, they always deliver live.

I'm just thinking of the album as a bonus alongside the DVD. :p And hey, it's a reason for them to tour. I must say my enthusiasm for the upcoming US tour is slightly dimmed by the knowledge that they'll be playing the album in its entirety, given that their discography is laden with songs I desperately want to see live that they almost certainly will not play. Still, they always deliver live.

Theu will play 2 shows per night you know, since they start with the new album :)

Tell you what, since I'm going to the US to be able to catch this part of the show, you can come to Europe to see the ones we get here with opening acts instead ;)