Swallow the Sun

BarronBlod

May 5, 2003
Norge
I don't know if they have been mentioned here before, but my guess is no since Swallow the Sun is a pretty new band. This is a must hear for every fan of old Katatonia, October Tide and Daylight Dies. Very evocative Doom/Death metal. They've got their debut album out this autumn called "The Morning Never Came". Been going in player for days now. Check them out: http://www.swallowthesun.cjb.net

great thread :D

they're my current favourite band, i just saw them live last week :)

to my ears they sound damn perfect, and i can't get enough of them :p everyone please check them out, it's worth it!

o.k., i've got only the samples now, but i don't think they have much in common with Katatonia..
should i draw my conclusions when i wasn't that much impressed after two 1:20min length samples? :err:

Drynwhyl said:
o.k., i've got only the samples now, but i don't think they have much in common with Katatonia..
should i draw my conclusions when i wasn't that much impressed after two 1:20min length samples? :err:
Draw your conclusions anyway you like. The samples got me interested so I bought the album, and the album got me hooked. I didn't say they sound like Katatonia. They do however play some kind of doom metal which I thought would appeal to listeneres of the pre-Discouraged Ones period. They've recieved a lot of good critics. Like it or not.

well, o.k. good for the band and the positive resonance they've received, i don't underrate your criteria. it just didn't grip me so rapidly.
lucky you now that you have discovered one more inspiring band.

They are a pretty good band, and I've always recommended them to fellow Katatonia fans.

Nice bump there. :)
They are amazing. But Ghosts of Loss isnt as good as The Morning Never Came though. It gets boring here and there and the vocals are too low, almost impossible to hear what he sings.

Seen 'em live twice and gonna see 'em again in December supporting Anathema. Definately one of the better bands to emerge from the finnish metal scene in few years.

Just fell in love with the cover art of their debut The Morning Never Came. The way it just oozes with atmosphere. And it doesn't hurt that the music is brilliant too.

There's not much resemblance to Katatonia, but I think many Katatonia fans would enjoy their music too. Give it a try if you haven't already.

HeBeHu said:
Seen 'em live twice and gonna see 'em again in December supporting Anathema. Definately one of the better bands to emerge from the finnish metal scene in few years.

OMFG! Anathema AND Swallow The Sun. o_O
Im soooo jealous!!!! Thats a dreamconcert! Damn them for not coming over to sweden. :bah:

Qth said:
Nice bump there. :)
They are amazing. But Ghosts of Loss isnt as good as The Morning Never Came though. It gets boring here and there and the vocals are too low, almost impossible to hear what he sings.

I have both albums and Ghost of Loss is by far my favorite.

I never heard of this band before... but just checked'em out ... and I like'em! :Spin:

This is one thing I love 'bout this forum: I always get in touch with "new" bands I should have known centuries before...

Rensei:
Ok cool, what about the vocals?
I think the clean vocals could have been recorded with a bit higher volume, it disappear in the music on some tracks now. And the growls arent as articulate as on TMNC.