Sweeping Solos

Although I didn't learn my chords yet, I worked out a cool finger excercise last night that can help me when I get to 6 string sweeps and moving up and down the neck. It's a G-Phrygian/ C Minor exercise.

e------------------------------------10-11-13------
B----------------------------8-9-11----------------
G--------------------7-8-10------------------------
D-------------5-6-8--------------------------------
A-------3-5-6--------------------------------------
E-1-3-4--------------------------------------------

I dont know if it already is something, but I'm just using it to practice going up and down the neck. (Because to be honest with you, that's what I originally thought sweeping solos were. :loco: )
Either way, its just something Im practicing.

I said its in G Phrygian/ C Minor. They're the same scale, if thats what threw you off. I know what key its in. I never said I didnt

ptah knemu said:
I said its in G Phrygian/ C Minor.

wrong, they are absolutely not the same scale............they have the same key signature (contain the same notes that is) but are not the same scale. I have a hunch that's what you meant and you were thinking along the right lines, but this is one of those things where the way you word something DOES matter.

Yngvai-Random, but i noticed when you said you start your students with 2 string sweeps, then 3, then 5, then 6.....You skipped 4 string............any reason you don't teach those? just curious

ptah knemu said:
I said its in G Phrygian/ C Minor. They're the same scale, if thats what threw you off. I know what key its in. I never said I didnt

I meant, if I told you you play some sweeps over a Bm6add9, Dm7, G/E progression... Then I'm guessing you'd say "how about I play one in E minor, G Major or A dorian?"

Unless you wanna end up like Franchesco Ferrari.... all technique and no musicality then by all means learn to sweep. If you want to be like petrucci and romeo, learn the basicis 1st.

In this Order:
Learn your scales and how to build chords and arpeggios.
Work on your right and left hand technique (use a metronome)
Learn to READ MUSIC and WRITE MUSIC in standard notation NOT TAB !!!!
Learn Harmony and Theory

Once you do that then arpeggios are WELL WITHIN YOUR GRASP !!!!

Its pointless to larn arpeggio patterns if you dont know HOW to use them, as in what chords they work over, or how to switch modes within the areggio. Its like trying to join the basketball team but never knowing how to play the game. You need to know the rules and how things work before you can do it.

Da Fukn Guru

Meedleyx10 said:
wrong, they are absolutely not the same scale............they have the same key signature (contain the same notes that is) but are not the same scale. I have a hunch that's what you meant and you were thinking along the right lines, but this is one of those things where the way you word something DOES matter.

Yngvai-Random, but i noticed when you said you start your students with 2 string sweeps, then 3, then 5, then 6.....You skipped 4 string............any reason you don't teach those? just curious

I sorta teach 4 string sweeps, but I find that they're kinda awkward to play, and I can't find many examples of them in songs, so its more like, I explain how to play them but I don't really spend any time on them. I think if you're gonna play those kind of 16th note arpeggios, the Gilbert style string skipping ones are easier and more useful, so I do have a few lessons on those.

guitarguru777 said:
Unless you wanna end up like Franchesco Ferrari.... all technique and no musicality then by all means learn to sweep. If you want to be like petrucci and romeo, learn the basicis 1st.

In this Order:
Learn your scales and how to build chords and arpeggios.
Work on your right and left hand technique (use a metronome)
Learn to READ MUSIC and WRITE MUSIC in standard notation NOT TAB !!!!
Learn Harmony and Theory

Once you do that then arpeggios are WELL WITHIN YOUR GRASP !!!!

Its pointless to larn arpeggio patterns if you dont know HOW to use them, as in what chords they work over, or how to switch modes within the areggio. Its like trying to join the basketball team but never knowing how to play the game. You need to know the rules and how things work before you can do it.

Da Fukn Guru

I think its enough to know what an arpeggio is before learning how to play them. As long as you know how a chord is constructed, thats fine. I usually use teaching sweeps as an opportunity to teach diatonic chord progressions and voice leading. Whats the point of learning the theory if you can't apply it?

Yngvai X said:
I sorta teach 4 string sweeps, but I find that they're kinda awkward to play, and I can't find many examples of them in songs, so its more like, I explain how to play them but I don't really spend any time on them. I think if you're gonna play those kind of 16th note arpeggios, the Gilbert style string skipping ones are easier and more useful, so I do have a few lessons on those.

Fair enough. I agree that they are hard to find in songs, they don't seem to be popular with many people. I really like using them to do really fast ascending 16th note patterns, but i admit i don't use them a whole lot either

hahaha, I think if this guy wants to learn to sweep, he should just start doing it. You don't have to learn chords FIRST. Sweep arpeggios can be a great way to learn about chords. I mean, if that's what he's interested in, then that's the avenue that should be exploited. There is no "correct order" to learn things. If you want to learn sweeps first, just start sweeping.

My first exposure to sweep-picking was the solo in Rage Against the Machine's "Settle For Nothing." This is a great introduction to sweeping, because you don't actually fret any notes. You just rake the pick across muted strings.

The principle is simple enough: One note per string, as you go up, use one big downstroke. As you go down, use one big upstroke. Voila. Sweep-picking. The devil is in the details.

I would suggest you start off with something like this:

------------------
--------12---15--
------X----------
----X------------
--X--------------
------------------

What you've got there is something to just get you USED to sweeping. Just mute the strings and don't worry about specific notes so much, except for that B on the 12th fret. Use your index finger for all the muted strings and the B. Steve Vai does this all the time, and he got it from Frank Zappa, who got it from the old blues guitarists of the 50s.... it's not a pure sweep arpeggio, but it is a sweep. What you get is sort of a "tick-tick-tick-DING!" It sounds cool, and it gets you used to the general idea.

Okay. Got that down pat? Now let's try something similar that involves an actual sweep arpeggio:

--------------12h15p12-15^--
----------12------------------
------12----------------------
--14--------------------------
------------------------------
------------------------------

This shape outlines the top part of an Emin barre chord, but you can also look at it from the perspective of the E minor pentatonic scale or the E blues scale. Use your ring finger for the E on the 14th fret (the first note), and your index finger for all the notes on the 12th fret. This is a very basic and very common sweep arpeggio, and it's a great way to sound like you're playing a million notes, even though you're doing something that only takes a couple of hours to practice and nail. hahaha.

NOW FOR THE ADVANCED LESSON:

The advanced lesson is very simple. YOU CAN DO THIS WITH ANY CONFIGURATION OF STRINGS AND FRETS. If you can THINK IT UP, you can play it. That's sweep-picking in a nutshell. Granted, chords sound the best, and it's best to know which chords sound good together in the context of a song. For that, you'll need to study up on your harmonic theory, or just listen carefully to what sounds good TO YOU, and repeat.

There's no big secret. It's just up and down, one note per string. Muted strings or fretted strings, or open strings. It's all fair game!

Have fun, and practice hard! :D

Play your damn cords. your too restless. youll just screw it up. I didnt lear how to sweep untill i had been shredding for a year. PLAY THE FREAKING CORDS SWEEP LATER. practice makes perfect

To those whom it concerns, I'm doing fairly well with my sweeps. The only problem I'm having now is the string noise after pulling off of a string. (But I'm practicing with distortion so that probably has something to do with it.)

ptah knemu said:
To those whom it concerns, I'm doing fairly well with my sweeps. The only problem I'm having now is the string noise after pulling off of a string. (But I'm practicing with distortion so that probably has something to do with it.)

Yes, and you should keep practicing with distortion. You won't be able to learn to control those string noises if you don't.

i could sweep arpeggios much easier when i started thinking more as a musician and less like a guitarrist. for example, when writting a solo to one of my songs i'd want a 5 string arpeggios just for the sake of it, later on I realized that it was wrong value wise, and that a simple 3-4 string sweep was much more adequate. after staring to think like that, alll kinds of arpeggios came quite easily, but that's just me...

oh, and you should practise WITH and WITHOUT distortion, with to, as said before, to control the noise, and without to learn to play more cleanly and not depend on the distortion to sound good , again, this is only my opinion.

My sweeps sound fine without distortion. Its when I practice WITH distortion that it tries to piss me off.

Here's another tip about sweeping that I recently picked up while trying to learn some Nuno Bettencourt solos...

Practice your sweep arpeggios without [edit: PICKING] the notes. Just play them with one hand, legato. Concentrate on making them rhythmically precise and making each note sound individually, without the pick. Hammer-on every note "from nowhere."

Once you develop this skill, you'll find that using the pick for fast arpeggios is basically superfluous. But it's not very difficult to add the pick in later, so you'll have TWO skills instead of ONE.