SX Forum Album of the year - 2009!

Lol, very true, Same with Turisas and their cheap K mart Fur, Great fun and great band.
Exactly! One of the best live bands i've ever seen simply because they're over the top retarded with their shit. Get good at your instrument, get good at your song, then go take it to the extreme!
Right on, Zach. Metal and comedy go hand in hand.
The funny thing is, the people who take it seriously and say "METAL IS NO JOKE" are by far the most comedic. Look at Manowar (LOVE that band btw), black metal, prog, pretty much everything. Shit, did Cronos act all grim and evil all the time? NO! Venom was the shit and they were hillarious because they were so over the top in their satanic bullshit, yet Cronos was grinning his evil ass grin.

Comedy in metal is good if you keep it under control, like a Helloween level of humor in your music...honestly if there's too much it's annoying, and it's easy to be funny so that you can blow off whatever you do and claim you weren't trying to be serious to avoid criticism. It's much harder to try to be completely serious and not end up looking like an incompetent idiot in the process.

Incidentally, Fates Warning is one of my favorite bands, and I can't think of a single moment in their music where comedy is even hinted at. So no, I don't think they go hand in hand. Sounds like the guilt of maturing people listening to immature music to me...better just to accept it's immature, no one cares

The album of the year, and it's not even a close race, is The Whirlwind by Transatlantic. Absolute brilliance from beginning to end. There literally is not a bad Transatlantic song, but I never would have thought that many years after the last release, amidst the now very busy schedules of some of prog rock's premier musicians, they could manage something this good and this refined. They probably banged this out in the studio over a couple weeks, and it sounds like something a person could spend his entire life on. A seriously unbelievable effort and a representation of the heights music can reach at the hands of truly skilled composers/players.

Comedy in metal is good if you keep it under control, like a Helloween level of humor in your music...honestly if there's too much it's annoying, and it's easy to be funny so that you can blow off whatever you do and claim you weren't trying to be serious to avoid criticism. It's much harder to try to be completely serious and not end up looking like an incompetent idiot in the process.

Incidentally, Fates Warning is one of my favorite bands, and I can't think of a single moment in their music where comedy is even hinted at. So no, I don't think they go hand in hand. Sounds like the guilt of maturing people listening to immature music to me...better just to accept it's immature, no one cares

You're missing the point. Helloween goes for more blatant comedy (Mr. Torture is a great example) that most bands don't go for... and that's not what I'm talking about. I'm just going to end up talking in circles though, so i guess I'll just lay it to rest.

Though I'm pretty irritated that you'd insinuate that I'm a mature individual.

DUN DUN DUN

It's not about trying to be funny. That's something different entirely, that's bands specifically joking. We're not saying that metal bands sing about goblins because they think it's hilarious, it's just all in good fun. The seriousness with which some bands take ridiculous topics to heart is what makes them subversively funny.

But yes, let us euthanize this topic.

Q: Why do Viking and Black Metal bands wear armor, furs, have their own forges, and carry weapons to gigs?

A: So that in case society breaks down, they just need to build a longship and they're set for life!
:lol:

As for Turisas, their stage act may be comedic, but their music is pretty straightforward, at least on The Varangian Way, save for In The Court Of Jarisleif ;) I don't mind some comedy in my metal, Edguy is a good example of that type of wit.

Freak Kitchen is a good example of deliberate humour in music done right. Songs like Guilt Trip has me laughing all the fucking time.

Edguy is a good example of a band with really shitty humour... also, they suck. I liked Vain Glory Opera and Mandrake but then they derailed like a druggie thrown into a pool filled with metamfetamine.