SX Seasons

I guess it kinda depends. I see a lot of people say that seasons have no effect on your musical tastes...how many of you guys listen to lots of styles of music? I mean, if you generally listen to only metal, I can see why your tastes wouldn't change much.

It seems like those who listen to many different genres have more moods (musically), which I guess makes sense. True? Yay, nay?

I have different moods and I get exicted of different kinds of music at different times, but I don't think they come at the same time with different seasons.

for example, certain mood where I like to listen to especially epic symphonic stuff could take 3 weeks or 5 months or whatever. But then I could be listening to totally different kind of music at the same time too, but maybe just less.

And I do listen to many kinds of music! :mad: I just don't tend to advertise my other music tastes on a forum of a metal band cause for that, I go to a different kind of forum.

I guess it kinda depends. I see a lot of people say that seasons have no effect on your musical tastes...how many of you guys listen to lots of styles of music? I mean, if you generally listen to only metal, I can see why your tastes wouldn't change much.

It seems like those who listen to many different genres have more moods (musically), which I guess makes sense. True? Yay, nay?

Yay

Nay, there are so many subgenres under "Metal" that is is entirely possible for someone who exclusively listens to Metal to regularly change tastes.

Its still metal, your trying to slide under. I really only listen to two kinds of metal and they are closely related, progressive and old school. Though I will admit there is some variance in my bands, but I listen to alot of other real genres... not subs.

Gotta agree with razor on this one. The folksiest sounding metal is STILL metal.

I'm not trying to deride anyone who does listen to mostly metal, Wander. I was just raising a question. :) Maybe you're just easily roused because you only listen to metal?

See! See what I did there?

well that was actually the first of their albums I heard, but haven't got around to getting it... I've got all their albums from Still Life, but not any of the first three, I've always been more into prog, and not really into death/black-metal, and I've always been a bit concerned that that early stage they were still a bit too much into being gr1m and fro... Probably will get them at some stage though...

I'd say Hearse is the first album that Opeth developed their current, and awesome sound. Not quite as good as some of the later stuff, but definitely Opeth.

MAYH Is hands down the BEST Opeth album. And yes, it's the beginning of their current sound. The first two were gr1m because the songwriting wasn't really all that great and the production sucked a dick.

I'm sure I'm alone in thinking that MAYH is Opeth's weakest album. It's one big "wall-of-sound;" the mix is terrible, the dynamics (which is what attracted me to Opeth in the first place) are nearly non-existent, and the catchiness of the other Opeth albums simply isn't there. Sure, there's some great riffs, but I don't feel like sifting through six minutes of filler to get to them (see April Ethereal and When). The only songs on that album which I like are the last three (Credence, Karma, and Epilogue). I guess Demon of the Fall is okay, too, but I think it's overrated.

I'm sure I'm alone in thinking that MAYH is Opeth's weakest album. It's one big "wall-of-sound;" the mix is terrible, the dynamics (which is what attracted me to Opeth in the first place) are nearly non-existent, and the catchiness of the other Opeth albums simply isn't there. Sure, there's some great riffs, but I don't feel like sifting through six minutes of filler to get to them (see April Ethereal and When). The only songs on that album which I like are the last three (Credence, Karma, and Epilogue). I guess Demon of the Fall is okay, too, but I think it's overrated.

Actually, you're not alone. I completely agree.

I do it by song rather than by album. I can't do all of their songs now, so I just tried to do what I could. I don't follow it to death, but I guess it's just what atmospheres are conveyed in which songs.

Winter:
A Lesson Before Dying (late night while it's snowing)
Winter's Dream (probably better in the summer though)
Lady of the Snow (another nice sunny tune)
Sacrifice

Spring:
Dressed To Kill (early morning)
Accolades
Through The Looking Glass
Paradise Lost
Eve of Seduction

Summer:
The Edge of Forever (late night while it's foggy or raining)
Eyes of Medusa
The Relic
Orion The Hunter
Inferno
The Odyssey

Fall:
Damnation Game
Of Sins and Shadows
Witching Hour
Smoke and Mirrors
King of Terrors
The Turning

Universal:
Of Sins And Shadows
Candlelight Fantasia
Church of the Machine
King of Terrors
All of Paradise Lost
All of V

Btw. I have been listening Wintersun every day this summer while the lyrics and the atmosphere are 100% about the winter. Is there something wrong with that?

Congrats to Horus for actually being more specific than me!

I find it interesting that you have The Odyssey as summer, that's completely a "winter" tune for me. Although, Relic, Orion, and Inferno are perfect summer songs!
Anything involving the ocean for me is automatically connected to summer in my crazy brain.
Btw. I have been listening Wintersun every day this summer while the lyrics and the atmosphere are 100% about the winter. Is there something wrong with that?
Are there even any seasons in Finland other than winter? :p