Hey!

Empty Vision

The Accolade
Feb 15, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Hey everyone, sorry in advance if these kind of threads irritate the crap out of some here, but I'm new to the SX forum so I just thought I'd introduce myself.

I've been listening to metal (properly) since about '98/99 and basically started out with Fear Factory, Korn, Slipknot and a number of aggro nu-metal bands. I started playing guitar in 2000 (i think) and my teacher got me into the older stuff like Judas priest, Iron Maiden, Yngwie, Metallica and he played me Rust In Peace by Megadeth which to this day is my favourite album for metal and guitar playing. Prog and power metal are two genre's which I guess I have only been getting into over the last few years, it essentialy started with Dream Theater's Awake album and just snowballed from there.

I got into Symphony X pretty much when The Odyssey was released, I read a lot of very positive reviews so I bought it, since then I bought (in order) The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, V: The New Mythology Suite, Twilight In Olympus, Symphony X which I sold shortly after, sorry I just couldn't bear to listen to the vocals on that album no matter how good the music was, and just last year I bought the Damnation Game. Since the Odyssey SX have become a favourite band of mine and Michael has had a massive impact on my guitar playing, Russ has also become one of my favourite vocalists.

Anyhow, thats about all thats semi-relevant. I've been on some forums and met some pretty shit people before, so here's to hoping everyone here is cool, I figure that 99% of the people here are musicians so I look forward to discussing music with everyone.

Other un-useful info:
Favourite bands are Megadeth, Symphony X, Devin Townsend, SYL, Death, Testament, Sonata Arctica, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Chimaira.

Fave guitarists: Marty Friedman, MIchael Romeo, Andy LaRocque, John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, brothers Amott, Alexi Laiho, Tipton/Downing, Satriani.

Since the DT Forum's shut down, this is the Progsnob capital of the Internet right here. :lol:

Welcome aboard man. :headbang: