Looking into the future...

I have to disagree that the japanese have better tastes than americans. I mean, look at all the anime shit they have! Though, a fair number of americans are waaaay too into that too....

*note: not making fun of japanese people or whatever. i just don't like anime.

I don't see Symphony X going for a more "commercial" sound as it doesn't jive with their attitude at all. I am thinking next disc will be the child of the Odyssey and V, although I'd like to see some more throwbacks to the harder neoclassical we saw on Damnation Game.

10 years down the rode is way too long to envision, quite a bit can happen.

I don't see Symphony X going for a more "commercial" sound as it doesn't jive with their attitude at all. I am thinking next disc will be the child of the Odyssey and V, although I'd like to see some more throwbacks to the harder neoclassical we saw on Damnation Game.
I'd like either of the things you mentioned ("throwbacks to the harder neoclassical we saw on Damnation Game" would rock my life). But sadly, I don't see it happening. They seem to really be enjoying themselves with the heavy stuff... so they should definately do what they enjoy; it doesn't mean I'll like it quite as much, though.

One cd that's a bit harder than their previous material does not a trend make..let's not decide their entire future based on a cd that's barely begun to be written..

Yeah, good point. I'm starting to sound like those DT fans who bitch about wanting another "Images and Words," except sometimes I find myself wanting another V or Damnation Game. But whatever they do, it's still gonna kill anything else I listen to.

Most probable: I believe they will continue to build their fanbase and achieve a very comfortable level of success. All I care about is that the guys earn enough from their music to live comfortably so they continue to be true to their music and stick with the band for the next 10 years.

Best Case: Should classic heavy metal make a strong comeback I believe they could achieve the same fame that Dream Theater did with "Images & Words". Of course, whatever song they break through with will be edited for time and totally untrue to the real song, but hey, you can't have everything, right? :) They will become huge for at least 1 album and then when metal dies out they will go back to more modest sales. However, this will definitely keep them in music for the next 10 years, so that would be great.

Worst Case: They break up now and don't put out another album ever. Well, either that or some major label picks them up and forces them to sell out for the sake of popularity, like Atlantic did with Crimson Glory. Shoot me now!