Symphony X with an orchestra? Your thoughts...

I just don't think SX's music meshes well with the orchestra sound. Yeah, SX has keyboards. What does Pinella do then, stand there?

To be honest, I really think that only their more progressive songs would sound good with an orchestra. The songs that would sound the best are those with the most layers of sound. The Odyssey, Divine Wings, Looking Glass, Communion, Accolades, Awakenings, etc. I highly doubt anyone wants to hear Of Sins and Shadows and the like with full symphony action.

Pinnella would have to do less, no doubt about it. He'd probably limit himself to piano and synth parts exclusively and let the orchestra handle the rest. But he wouldn't be the only one playing less stuff - MJR and Lepond normally play several of the orchestral parts from The Odyssey and the V album live, since P can't do everything. With the orchestra, those two would have less to do as well.

^ I agree.

Symphony X has enough songs that would sound great with an orchestra; and I don't just mean simply having the orchestra play the keyboard parts, I mean orchestral parts being written/adapted for them. You know, like the way orchestral arrangements were written for metallica songs for the S&M show (althought that wouldn't be nearly as good as symphony x).

I agree too. Like Marwen said, some orchestral parts actually written/adapted for this specific show could sound great. Even more aggressive songs could be well adapted with some rearrangements.

They also lost a lot of publicity after the tour of PL. No news of any kind for Iconoclast and all.
So, I hope that they can still get enough publicity this time to finally grant us an orchestral Symphony X show.

Speaking of orchestras, I noticed a lot of people here including SX themselves are well versed in classical music. I was wondering if anyone had ever gone as far to remaking something like Beethoven's Symphony 9 into an epic metal song? Is there an album of this somewhere out there?

As you probably know, I don't know too much about classical music other than the really obvious composers (Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, etc.) so could anyone suggest me some composers I might like? I'm really into bombastic epics with choirs and strings and the whole nine yards. I'm just so sick of listening to prog metal I need to expand my horizons.

As you probably know, I don't know too much about classical music other than the really obvious composers (Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, etc.) so could anyone suggest me some composers I might like? I'm really into bombastic epics with choirs and strings and the whole nine yards. I'm just so sick of listening to prog metal I need to expand my horizons.

Try Niccolo Paganini. He was a violin virtuoso. He was a big influence of many musicians, especially
Yngwie Malmsteen. Others you might like are Frederic Chopin, Antonio Vivaldi, Giuseppe Verdi,
Richard Wagner, Johannes Brahms, Johan Strauss. These are some of my favorites.

:cool:

Speaking of orchestras, I noticed a lot of people here including SX themselves are well versed in classical music. I was wondering if anyone had ever gone as far to remaking something like Beethoven's Symphony 9 into an epic metal song? Is there an album of this somewhere out there?

Bombast, coming up! check out this 20 minute crescendo

pt. 1

pt. 2
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3_McW9HP48&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, I would really like if MJR and Symphony X would write,
record and perform and entire original prog metal symphony. Kind of like Concerto For Electric Guitar
that Yngwie Malmsteen did in 2000. I know he rearranged a few songs and added some new ones, so
maybe MJR could do the same with The Odyssey and Divine Wings. Along with many new songs, I would love to hear Candlelight Fantasia, Communion And The Oracle, and On The Breath Of Poseidon
played with an orchestra.

:cool:

Any thoughts?

I'll keep this thread saved :)

I've wanted to check out more classical songs for a while now but my internet would kill me if I watched youtube...

I was wondering if anyone had ever gone as far to remaking something like Beethoven's Symphony 9 into an epic metal song? Is there an album of this somewhere out there?.
this has been done ad nauseum for a bunch of popular pieces. sometimes well, sometimes not. more often not... but the good ones are really good.

i stand by what i said a year ago on this topic: if adding the orchestra doesn't add anything to the music or doesn't enhance what was already there, it's just a novelty.

In all honesty, I'm still waiting on Symphony X to release a proper 'live' DVD, never mind one with an orchestra!!! I wouldn't be adverse to them recording a one-off performace with an orchestra, but I don't really think it's necessary.

Sure, the band released a limited edition disc with Paradise Lost featuring some live clips from different shows but it seemed kind of scattered. When I see the couple of songs on the Gigantour DVD, it really makes me wish that negotiations were underway between the band / label / powers that be, to set something in stone for a full extended Symphony X concert to be recorded & released in HD DVD format (orchestra included or not).