Symphony X with an orchestra? Your thoughts...

keeperxiii

Awakening...
Jun 1, 2009
Portugal
Hi.

I was wondering, so many bands have done this before so...

What do you think if Symphony X did a live show with a orchestra?

A bit like Dream Theater - Score or Metallica S & M for an example.

Don`t you think it`s about time they tried this?(After their next album, of course) After all we`re talking about Symphony X :).

Rock on :headbang:
Keeper

So long as the orchestration/arrangements are a LOT better than what Metallica did (no worries there) and the execution is better than that of the orchestra on the Score dvd, it'd be great. I doubt that it's a realistic expectation due to finances and other logistics, unfortunately.

It would only be good if the orchestration adds something that was not previously in the music. "Just Add Strings" albums abound, and most of them suck. That said, if it was done in a manner that didn't sound like an afterthought or simple rehash, it has potential.

It would only be good if the orchestration adds something that was not previously in the music. "Just Add Strings" albums abound, and most of them suck. That said, if it was done in a manner that didn't sound like an afterthought or simple rehash, it has potential.

Agreed. Doing things just because other bands do it isn't a particularly good idea IMO.

Agreed. Doing things just because other bands do it isn't a particularly good idea IMO.

Well, I`m not saying that it would be a good ideia because other bands do it.

I`m saying because it`s SYMPHONY X, cmon, if anything THIS is the band that should have a live orchestra.

It´s simple, it`s the perfect fit because they actually use orchestration, unlike other bands.

i totally agree ! orchestra is made for symphony x god damn it !!!!!! their music is perfect for that actually that 's what 's always missing to touch the perfection their music offers on stage. it 's really one of my dreams to see that happening

Whatever he said about what I said and what other people agree with :) .

I doubt that there`s space for it but I wonder if they would change some of their songs for the orchestra, if you`re understanding me?

I was totally unimpressed by Six Degrees doing this. The orchestra just felt unnecessary. I'm sorry, but if you just want an extra ounce of "wow, epic," that can be done with loud synthesizers. An orchestra should add more than that.

That said, SX is one of the ONLY metal bands that actually has an ounce of classical influence in their blood via Pinnella and Romeo, so I think it could work better - I still hold that V is one of the only good "symphonic metal" albums that exists, and puts other bands that might try this like Epica and Kamelot to shame.

So yeah, basically what's already been said. Do it if it's needed and good. If not, forget it.

may be there is a space to add some new orchestrations to th songs if that happens but i think it's not necessary because to me it's just fine like that ; MJR's work concerning orchestration is almost perfect for me he 's th first one who truly mixes classical music and metal :symphony x is the first real fusion of these lovely music styles not like many bands who just put some diffrent things together . in the case of symphony x u can't separate the classical arrangments from the other stuff it just doesn't feel right because simply it 's one hole entity. i think MJR is a great composer and we should be proud of him !

I don't think the financial restrictions would be that much of a hurdle now.

#1- Paradise Lost is their biggest selling album to date.

and

#2- They have said that they may do this down in South America where the costs would be way more affordable.

So either way it can definitely happen.

Hopefully, they will release the next record and then seriously consider it.