Symphony X with an orchestra? Your thoughts...

I had to resurrect this thread due to Russell mentioning that a show with an orchestra in the near future is possible. So I have to ask - what would you like their set to look like? Obviously they'd probably perform more of their proggy songs and less of their shorter heavy ones, but I'm sure a few of the latter would make their way into the set.

Here's what I would want to hear:

All of V: The New Mythology Suite
---
The Walls of Babylon
The Edge of Forever
Awakenings
Paradise Lost
A Winter's Dream (parts I and II)
Candlelight Fantasia
The Accolade
Accolade II
Through the Looking Glass
---
Oculus
Revelation
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
---
The Odyssey

Probably a bit unrealistic as it's about 3 hours, but one can dream. What would you guys want to hear?

I have mixed feelings about an orchestral SX concert. For a start they'd need to do a hi-def recording of it so all the fans who'd never be able to get there could at least get a taste. Second, I have a horrid fear that it would become "synths=strings". Thirdly, Symphony X don't have a symphonic sound, they have symphonic influences, and that's an important difference.

On the other hand, Within Temptation's Black Symphony concert (well, the recording of it anyway) was really well done, with the orchestra striking a good balance between just duplicating the keys and adding a new dimension to the music, so it can be done (provided you like WT, that is!).

I had to resurrect this thread due to Russell mentioning that a show with an orchestra in the near future is possible. So I have to ask - what would you like their set to look like? Obviously they'd probably perform more of their proggy songs and less of their shorter heavy ones, but I'm sure a few of the latter would make their way into the set.

Here's what I would want to hear:

All of V: The New Mythology Suite
---
The Walls of Babylon
The Edge of Forever
Awakenings
Paradise Lost
A Winter's Dream (parts I and II)
Candlelight Fantasia
The Accolade
Accolade II
Through the Looking Glass
---
Oculus
Revelation
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
---
The Odyssey

Probably a bit unrealistic as it's about 3 hours, but one can dream. What would you guys want to hear?

That would be quite a set list. Especially V. To hear The Odyssey played with an orchestra would be worth the price of admission. And 3 hours would be fine with an intermission. Without removing anything, I would just add Church Of The Machine and The Sacrifice. What I would really like is for Michael Romeo to write an entire original metal symphony and perform it with an orchestra. That would be epic! Yes, we can dream.

My set:
1. Dressed to Kill
2. Smoke and Mirrors
3. Masquerade
4. Domination
5. Eve of Seduction
6. Serpent's Kiss
7. Set the World on Fire
(the purpose of this set is to satisfy the PL fans, so they have had their fix and can leave the concert hall now)

Intermission (the crowd can chant "PL sucks" for 15 minutes if they are too lazy to leave their chair to go buy a beer or a t shirt)

Set 2:
V all the way through (the room starts to really smell bad at the end because all the V fans have came)

Encore 1:
The Odyssey

Encore 2:
The orchestra has left, the band come out just casually drinking a beer or something and talk to the audience for like 10 minutes and then say this goes out to the fans since day one and play "The Edge of Forever".

As for the moshing arguement, I would never expect too much of it going on at a SX show, but if I go to a Behemoth or Deicide show, I am prepared for it. I am 6'6 so I don't mind it at all, I think it's fun especially if the opening band sucks and you just want to kill time.

Masquerade
The Edge Of Forever
A Winter's Dream Pts. I & II
The Accolade I & II
Pharaoh
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Candlelight Fantasia
Church Of The Machine
Sonata(work it in somehow)
Through The Looking Glass
Lady Of The Snow
Communion And The Oracle
Egypt
Rediscovery Pts. I & II
Wicked
The Odyssey
Paradise Lost
Occulus Ex Inferno
Revelation

I don't care what order they play them in; but play 75% of that and I will die a happy man.

Masquerade
The Edge Of Forever
A Winter's Dream Pts. I & II
The Accolade I & II
Pharaoh
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Candlelight Fantasia
Church Of The Machine
Sonata(work it in somehow)
Through The Looking Glass
Lady Of The Snow
Communion And The Oracle
Egypt
Rediscovery Pts. I & II
Wicked
The Odyssey
Paradise Lost
Occulus Ex Inferno
Revelation

I don't care what order they play them in; but play 75% of that and I will die a happy man.

Completely agreed! :)

As for the moshpit thing: I usually try not to offend anyone when I post, but when it comes to this... To do it at a Symphony X concert is simply retarded, period! It doesn't go with the style of the music at all and most importantly, it is completely selfish. I am 163cm and 55kg. What the fuck am I supposed to do when that happens around me?! Some idiots did that at the London show. It's clear that they didn't even listen to the music while doing that, so why come to the concert at all? I might be sailing the crazy sea here, but aren't you there to see the band? And I did notice it was the puberty-ridden crowd doing it. Thankfully, my sister and I decided to stand behind handrails on one side of the venue or else we would have been crushed. A lot of 18 year old boys act stupid, it's a law of nature, fine. But when you hit the 25 mark it's time to start being more considerate to the people around you. I feel like I have to ally myself with any big guy in my immediate vicinity before the concert so that I'll have someone to protect me when the stupid-brigade goes for it. Isn't it crazy that I feel like I need protection at a concert?!

If you don't want to be involved in moshpits, you either need to stay behind or at the front row. Pits usually form a few rows from the front. If you're at the front row, just get a good hold of the front rail and the pushing won't be an issue.

And no, they wouldn't do moshpits in a Symphony X gig here in Finland. It's always a very slight possibility on festival gigs with a lot of younger, dumber and 3 promilles drunk audience, but not in any clubs or halls. Symphony X pits in Finland would probably be as likely as Lady Gaga pits.

If you're at the front row, just get a good hold of the front rail and the pushing won't be an issue.

Haha tried that, and still had problems, because unfortunately I'm of a height that if I'm pushed forward into the rail, my boobs get squashed:tickled:
That kinda hurts:p

^ yeah moshing and pushing others who don't want to be pushed is just lame and annoying. Basically when someone pushes me I push him back seriously with my hand in a way that says "do that again and we've got a problem." :lol:

Happened in the SymX show two weeks ago.

Works.

Hmmm...somehow I don't think I'm intimidating enough to pull that off :lol:

Btw, don't know where to post this, so I'm hoping some of the people who visit this thread know about pc's. I did something to mine last night. Don't really know what. It's a netbook laptop-thingy (shows pretty much what my expertise level is). I think I pressed Fn+Shift and now my browser (mozilla, if that has anything to do with the case) looks...streched out, or just plain bigger. I've tried ''jfgi'' but I found no remedies. Help, please, anyone??

Haha tried that, and still had problems, because unfortunately I'm of a height that if I'm pushed forward into the rail, my boobs get squashed:tickled:
That kinda hurts:p
Well okay being able to benchpress nearly my own weight and not having boobs probably helps me quite a lot, even tho I'm also a 170ish midget with a feather on my head. Also, I can make this very evil and arrogant look which makes even the 2 meter flagpoles keep their distance! Probably learned that from my late terrier. Dunno, just try to hold on to the rail rather than lean on it, that's how I do it, and I stretch my arms almost straight when the pushing starts (usually means that pitters get thrown against the front rows).

I've survived even Emperor, Nile, Legion of the Damned and Behemoth gigs up front just fine not even having a hold of the rail. Sometimes I don't even have my feet on the ground tho, lol, but I just move with the flow and have fun. Actually it's just easier to get up front in festival gigs when there's a big circle pit going, I just go through it! ;D

I don't think the financial restrictions would be that much of a hurdle now.

#1- Paradise Lost is their biggest selling album to date.

and

#2- They have said that they may do this down in South America where the costs would be way more affordable.

So either way it can definitely happen.

Hopefully, they will release the next record and then seriously consider it.

I don't know how much is it in North-America, but here it'll be close to U$S 45.

Is it only mozilla firefox that looks stretched out? If so, try pressing CTRL+0 (zero in the number pad) while the browser is open.

Here you go: Official Off Topic Thread

:)

Ah, that's what you're supposed to do! Got it:)

Thank you for replying!:)
But since it's already up here, please forgive me for not switching threads... I was a bit hasty when I wrote that, my entire desktop is streched out, not just Firefox. Do you know what the problem might be? Aaaargh! Why do they put in a shortcut like this and then give no explanation for what it does and how to remove it?!

It's very likely that your screen resolution is wrong, but it's kinda strange that hitting a shortcut could've caused it, so I'm not completely sure.

I can't give any detailed instructions unless I know which operating system you use, but usually in Windows operated systems you can bring the "display properties" menu by right clicking on an empty space in your desktop and selecting properties from the dropdown menu. There should be a "screen resolution" slider under the "settings" tab, which you can use to change the resolution for something more appropriate.

my entire desktop is streched out, not just Firefox.

Then it's definitely your screen resolution.

If you have windows 7, right click on the desktop, click on "Screen Resolution", then select the resolution marked as "recommended". (Just google it if you're using another windows) :)

it's kinda strange that hitting a shortcut could've caused it, so I'm not completely sure.

Nah it's just that some laptop brands (like Toshiba) have some keyboard shortcuts using an "FN" key that do stuff like change the screen resolution, turn the Touchpad on/off, etc.

Yes! That was it! The shortcut had set the resolution to the lowest. Thank you!:) That should have been the fist thing I checked, I feel really silly..