Symphony X with an orchestra? Your thoughts...

So...if there is an orchestra playing all of the synth-orchestra parts does Pinnella even have to show up?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

He would probably be "demoted" to only playing the solos, synth lines, and piano parts. However, due to the assured epicness of the show, he probably wouldn't mind that much. Also, Mike Lepond would most likely play a bit less, as certain songs on V and The Odyssey (when performed live) have the bass guitar playing the lower orchestrated sounds due to Pinnella lacking eight hands.

I think that Symphony X could make amazing use of an orchestra, but I hope they don't go back and just score an old album. Romeo and Pinella will want the opportunity to play with the orchestra and not just over top of it, i.e. an expensive backing track. I think the best example of rock band meets orchestra is Deep Purple's "Concerto for Group and Orchestra." This multi-part suite was interesting because in the beginning the band and orchestra were struggling for dominance over one another. The middle section showed them slowly coming together. The final section blended their sounds together into complete unison. Its a pretty cool piece and worth a listen.

I think SX will want to do something new with an orchestra and not simply retrace their steps.

As much as I hate going to concerts - this would make me go to one!

I agree with you - I am generally not a fan of metal concerts. You wait in line forever just so you can get up front, and then you're surrounded by a bunch of sweaty metalheads who start pummeling each other the moment the first song starts. Constantly having to turn around to make sure some asshole won't elbow you in the back of the head is pretty annoying. To add to that, it generally lasts 4+ hours, so you have to stand there the whole time without drinking anything, because if you drink you'll have to urinate and when you leave and go to the bathroom you lose your spot up front.

I'm only about 5'6'' so I have to be up front or I can't see shit. The only other option is the balcony, but it's the same deal there - you drink, you go to pee, you lose your spot.

Another problem is that you have to stand there for 2+ hours watching generally sub-par opening acts just to have a spot from which to view the headlining band (which is the only one you care about). It's not like you can show up 15 minutes before the headliner plays and expect to get a good spot.

The only good spot I had for a concert that I wasn't fending off violent ghouls behind me was Opeth at the House of Blues a few years back. If you eat dinner in the restaurant prior to the show, you can get balcony access, where they have a bunch of tables right against the railing. That way, my friends and I could grab a table and sit and drink with a great view and no moshing behind us. Easily one of the best shows I've been to.

I think there should be a giant cage in the middle of a sunken floor (~1.5m deep) for people to mosh in. That way, the people who actually want to watch the bands can stand all around the cage's perimeter and have a great view of the stage while not having to keep their guard up for wayward limbs. Moshers can enjoy releasing their primal urges in a controlled environment away from the general crowd who just want to chill and have a good time.

Moshing outside of the cage would be punishable by ejection from the premises and a fine.

Yes, let's militarize rock concerts. :p

But, yeah, I agree. I'm totally willing to do the whole superfan thing and stand for hours just to see my favorite bands play. The sad fact nowadays, however, is that the "concert code" has disintegrated. The truth of it is: people DO show up 15 minutes before their favorite band starts and push you out of your hard-earned spot simply because "that's the way it is, bro" and "it's a rock concert, dude, you're gonna get pushed around". These are the same people who will then mosh the whole time and make your standing area a living hell. Because, of course it makes sense to spend $20-30 (or often much more) to see your favorite band, and then see nothing at all because you are too busy pounding the pavement in a circle like a mentally-challenged caveman.

Balcony's where it's at.

Forget that shit, even the people who push to the front are fucked because there's people who will shell out $300 for a ball-less "package" deal sponsored by some douchebag store like FYE.

On the other issue though, suck it up and grow a pair. Being packed in and headbanging like a nutcase are side-effects of being at a concert. If you don't like it, you have two options:

1. Sit in the back at a table where no one will spill beer on your designer shirt.
2. Pay $300 to FYE and join the "I'm a tool" club.

Forget that shit, even the people who push to the front are fucked because there's people who will shell out $300 for a ball-less "package" deal sponsored by some douchebag store like FYE.

On the other issue though, suck it up and grow a pair. Being packed in and headbanging like a nutcase are side-effects of being at a concert. If you don't like it, you have two options:

1. Sit in the back at a table where no one will spill beer on your designer shirt.

Or ... just don't bother at all! Seriously, Detective Clarence Beauregard summed up my feelings pretty well, except I'd add that at my advanced age, most of the kids at these shows could be my kids! I grew out of the 'it's cool to get wasted and go to a concert' phase a long time ago. Also, and I know I'm gonna get blasted here, but there are very very few bands that sound really good live. Sorry, but them's the facts. When I hear a fully produced album (symphonic elements, great backing vocals - mostly overdubbed by the lead singer, professionally mixed, etc. etc.) and then go see the band live they just never seem to measure up. It's also why I almost never buy live albums. There have been, and probably still are, a few exceptions but I think they're few and far between. That's not to say SX doesn't sound great live - I have no idea as I've only seen really sub-par (audio-wise) clips on YouTube and such and those definitely sucked. SX may sound great live when you're actually there. If it wasn't for all the other bs associated with going maybe I would.

Otherwise I prefer to be comfortable in my home, car, whatever, with a pair of headphones on and totally immerse myself in the music. That's how I prefer to enjoy it. (and, there no lines in filthy bathrooms to deal with either!)

I do love designer shirts and being a tool, so this sounds fantastic.

SX may sound great live when you're actually there. If it wasn't for all the other bs associated with going maybe I would.

To be fair, SX is amazing live and well worth the trip. Also their shows are relatively BS-free. Though the heaviness of PL has brought in a younger, more annoying crowd, they are usually pretty outnumbered by cool people.

BARBAROUSSE said:
may be there is a space to add some new orchestrations to th songs if that happens but i think it's not necessary because to me it's just fine like that ; MJR's work concerning orchestration is almost perfect for me he 's th first one who truly mixes classical music and metal :symphony x is the first real fusion of these lovely music styles not like many bands who just put some diffrent things together . in the case of symphony x u can't separate the classical arrangments from the other stuff it just doesn't feel right because simply it 's one hole entity. i think MJR is a great composer and we should be proud of him !

Well said. Malmsteen was one of the first to do this but he kind of rips on Vivaldi a lot just with an electric guitar. I'd say that since the release of V, Symphony X perfected the concept of which you described.

Detective said:
I think there should be a giant cage in the middle of a sunken floor (~1.5m deep) for people to mosh in. That way, the people who actually want to watch the bands can stand all around the cage's perimeter and have a great view of the stage while not having to keep their guard up for wayward limbs. Moshers can enjoy releasing their primal urges in a controlled environment away from the general crowd who just want to chill and have a good time.

I agree with you about shows like that. I admit that I have tried to form moshpits in high school before but that was just for "fun" lol. I quoted this part because it reminded me of Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi how he has that pit with the Rancor beast in it.

Prismatic Sphere said:
#2- They have said that they may do this down in South America where the costs would be way more affordable.

So either way it can definitely happen.
Wander said:
I'm just gonna say... Imagine The Odyssey with the real thing!

Nice to dream..

To Prismatic Sphere and Wander: Yeah definitely it would be more affordable with wonderful South American people like this to help Symphony X, umm.... "pull it off"! :lol: :lol: There you go, The Odyssey with the real thing! :D

Personally I think Symphony X's music lends itself to orchestration (so much more than Metallica did) and would love to see SX play with an orchestra and even a choir. If this were to happen, I would be one of the 1st to get a ticket. I would love it even more if it was Michael Tillson Thomas was conducting, but that probably wouldn't happen (although I would love to imagine that MTT is secretly a metalhead :headbang:).

Don't think Symphony X should do something with an orchestra? Check out Epica's recent orchestral release where they do Dies Irae.

It. Should. Have. Been. Symphony. X.

Last edited by a moderator:
To Prismatic Sphere and Wander: Yeah definitely it would be more affordable with wonderful South American people like this to help Symphony X, umm.... "pull it off"! :lol: :lol: There you go, The Odyssey with the real thing! :D

Not exactly what I had in mind when I said "the real thing":lol:

And I've always thought that version isn't too bad considering how young the group seems to be.

I've been to two SymX shows, one in a smaller club that was rowdy and rough, and one in which I was farther back and could really see what each band member was doing. Both were great experiences in their own right.

Incidentally, it was at a SymX concert that I saw a couple guys try to push their way to the front and get pretty roughly thrown back by a few pissed-off guys up there. That's a risk you take if you're going to try that stuff.

In any case, if the venue is packed, you won't be able to advance much, but often you can migrate forward quite a bit as the show progresses...ymmv.