Dream Theater has the right idea on this

Technetium

Aug 31, 2002
Visit site
Never play the same setlist.

I think this is why they have a legion of fans that literally travel around the country with them while they tour to see as many concerts as possible. Imagine you're at a Symphony X concert. How cool would it be if, totally unpredictably, they busted out A Lesson Before Dying or A Winter's Dream? (Have they ever played either these live?)

Ah well, wishful thinking. :)

I guess that's why I saw DT three times this past tour. Hell, I know people that saw them 5+ times on one tour. Even I think that's a bit excessive. I did see SX twice on the last tour though.

I'd rather them do more like Blind Guardian did last tour...keep basically the same 10 songs or so in the setlist setlist, and then just swap out 2 or 3 other ones each night. That way we still get the essentials, plus maybe something comes out of the woodwork. I am still envious of those who attended a show where they played Lost in the Twilight Hall :p

Technetium said:

I think this is why they have a legion of fans that literally travel around the country with them while they tour to see as many concerts as possible.

Well then there's some of us that will do that anyway, even if they played the exact same songs each time. Sure, it would be nice to see variety, but it's still the same band each night, and IMO, just seeing SymX is more important than what songs they play.

2 cents :)

Technetium said:

I think this is why they have a legion of fans that literally travel around the country with them while they tour to see as many concerts as possible. Imagine you're at a Symphony X concert. How cool would it be if, totally unpredictably, they busted out A Lesson Before Dying or A Winter's Dream? (Have they ever played either these live?)

Ah well, wishful thinking. :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I sure somebody will, but didn't DT's set vary little through up until about the time they toured fro Falling Into Infinity? I seem to recall between that tour and the follow up tour for Scenes from A Memory that they started to really vary their sets. Everything up until FII was fairly consistent in material playeld live with 2-3 song changes. I wont go on to mention the First US leg of the Scenes tour where all you got was SFAM, Peruvian Skies and then the medley they were doing at the time (When Images and Words Unite).

I think it's a matter of giving Symphony X time before they really start to do wholesale variations in setlists. Of course, some consistent headlining touring could tend to help in that department.

Glenn

This would solve all of Symphony X's setlist problems...

Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Wicked
Smoke and Mirrors
The Accolade & Accolade II
Evolution (The Grand Design)
Fallen & Transcendence
Communion and the Oracle
Church of the Machine
Dressed to Kill

[---Intermission---]

Sonata (tape)
In the Dragon's Den
The Damnation Game
Awakenings
King of Terrors
Out of the Ashes
Through the Looking Glass
Sea of Lies
The Edge of Forever
Of Sins and Shadows

[---Encore---]

The Divine Wings of Tragedy

[---2nd Encore---]

The Odyssey

yes, ^ I strongly agree^ although I wouldn't call it a problem, just a setlist like that would rule all. Egypt, Death of Balance, and Rediscoveries I and II would be nice too.... I think we're being reasonable :loco:

MorphineChild205 said:

Wicked
Smoke and Mirrors
Fallen & Transcendence
Communion and the Oracle
Church of the Machine
Dressed to Kill

[---Intermission---]

Sonata (tape)
In the Dragon's Den
The Damnation Game
Awakenings
King of Terrors
Out of the Ashes
Sea of Lies
The Edge of Forever
Of Sins and Shadows

[---Encore---]

[---2nd Encore---]

The Odyssey

AWESOME!!!! I'd really die to see this setlist... although I'd die just to see the band... ;)

Here's the songs that should be in every setlist (swap Evolution and Inferno as openers, it's not fun when you always know you'll hear Inferno first):

Of Sins and Shadows
Sea of Lies
Inferno
Smoke and Mirrors
Evolution

rotate these songs:

Fallen
In the Dragon's Den
Church of the Machine
Accolade 1 and 2
Rediscovery
Egypt/Death of Balance
Damnation GAme
Dressed to Kill
Eyes of Medusa
Candlelight Fantasia
Edge of Forever
Communion and the Oracle
Awakenings
Fool's Paradise
Out of the Ashes

once in a rare while they should add in 1 of these 4:

Odyssey
Divine Wings
A Winter's Dream 1&2

I don't see how anyone could complain with this scenario.

pfft.

Inferno
Wicked
Medusas Eyes
Damnation Game
Edge of Forever
Dragons Den
Smoke and Mirrors
Sea of Lies
The Turning
Awakenings
OSAS
----- 10 minute recuperate from that ass kicking -----

V in its entirety (starting with PRELUDE...)

[----Encore----]

DWoT
Odyssey

MorphineChild205 said:

Wicked
Smoke and Mirrors
Fallen & Transcendence
Communion and the Oracle
Church of the Machine
Dressed to Kill

[---Intermission---]

Sonata (tape)
In the Dragon's Den
The Damnation Game
Awakenings
King of Terrors
Out of the Ashes
Sea of Lies
The Edge of Forever
Of Sins and Shadows

[---Encore---]

[---2nd Encore---]

The Odyssey

I don't think I could stand up for that long.

I'd love them to play The Odyssey at Arrow Classic Rock (as that is where I'll see them), that song just radiates brilliance.