Why Dream Theater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Statler Waldorf said:
I get what you are saying Rose, I personally find the whole obscene language thing very cheesy, however you would have to admit that DT uses more obscene language than QR. Just listen to "As I am" and "Burning My Soul" and you will see what I mean. This is why I have to give some kudos to bands like Shadow Gallery and SX for having the ability to write agressive music without having to stoop to that level. Just my opinion.

Even though I actually like "As I Am", I think DT's lyrics are VERY hit-or-miss, and to me the excessive swearing was part of that...it was like they were saying, I dunno what else to write to make myself sound aggressive. Kind of like a little cat fuzzing its fur and hissing to seem bigger than it is.

Hey, I may be a DT fan, but I can acknowledge their flaws. ;)

proulxski said:
haha! am I the only one in this thread who thinks this thread went on about 20 posts more than it should have!????

Yes this is a pretty long thread, but I do not think that posting a post telling everyone there has been too many posts makes much sense. Truthfully I think it is kind of silly because if people still have things to say then what is the problem?

Statler

Rose Immortal said:
Even though I actually like "As I Am", I think DT's lyrics are VERY hit-or-miss, and to me the excessive swearing was part of that...it was like they were saying, I dunno what else to write to make myself sound aggressive. Kind of like a little cat fuzzing its fur and hissing to seem bigger than it is.

Hey, I may be a DT fan, but I can acknowledge their flaws. ;)
All fair... probably everyone agrees that lyrics have never been DT's strongest point.
They have had a couple of really strong, effective lyrics, mostly when Myung or Moore wrote them (to be fair, Petrucci and Portnoy also had their "poetic moments", so to speak), and still have nowadays, "Blind Faith" and "Misunderstood" being two of the finest examples, but there are just too many songs I fail to draw any message from the words.
As you said, hit or miss. They can't all be Neil Peart.

The Stormbringer said:
All fair... probably everyone agrees that lyrics have never been DT's strongest point.
They have had a couple of really strong, effective lyrics, mostly when Myung or Moore wrote them (to be fair, Petrucci and Portnoy also had their "poetic moments", so to speak), and still have nowadays, "Blind Faith" and "Misunderstood" being two of the finest examples, but there are just too many songs I fail to draw any message from the words.
As you said, hit or miss. They can't all be Neil Peart.

I agree with you man, I never thought the line "They continued to investigate!" had much poetic quality, lol.

Statler Waldorf said:
I agree with you man, I never thought the line "They continued to investigate!" had much poetic quality, lol.

True,maybe they could expound a bit on lyrical content. On the other hand, SX's lyrics sound like something off of a Manowar release. And, to say that Manowar's lyrics are cheesy...well, that's simply an understatement. I guess if you're into sword & sorcery instead of "reality based" or current event material...it's ok. Depends on taste...or lack thereof.

Ascension said:
True,maybe they could expound a bit on lyrical content. On the other hand, SX's lyrics sound like something off of a Manowar release. And, to say that Manowar's lyrics are cheesy...well, that's simply an understatement. I guess if you're into sword & sorcery instead of "reality based" or current event material...it's ok. Depends on taste...or lack thereof.

'Realitly Based' lyrics? What are you talking about? The whole Metropolis Part II album was about death and reincarnation and evil therapists. That doesn't seem real reality based to me. I don't like comparing DT and SX, but since you asked...Some of Symphony's lyrics are too fantasy based for me, but they still have a strong poetic quality to them. Now when we look at DT, they have a song with the lines, "They found a switch blade on the groudn!/ They continuted to investigate!" wheres the poetic quality in that? I feel that conveying your ideas in a poetic form in a song is a real gift, a gift that I do not feel DT has however.

Ascension said:

I hope you're not suggesting those of us who are into sword & sorcery have a lack of taste.

Music is NOT something I look to to deal with current events--it's an escape, and fantastical stuff is great for that.

Statler Waldorf said:
'Realitly Based' lyrics? What are you talking about? The whole Metropolis Part II album was about death and reincarnation and evil therapists. That doesn't seem real reality based to me. I don't like comparing DT and SX, but since you asked...Some of Symphony's lyrics are too fantasy based for me, but they still have a strong poetic quality to them. Now when we look at DT, they have a song with the lines, "They found a switch blade on the groudn!/ They continuted to investigate!" wheres the poetic quality in that? I feel that conveying your ideas in a poetic form in a song is a real gift, a gift that I do not feel DT has however.

The Difference tohugh between something like Metropolis pt. 2 and any SX lyrics is that it still deals with real life situations, namely human loss. Regardless of who you think has the better lyrics, most people will agree that DT's lyrics are much more possible to relate to. Personally I can't relate (nor can anyone i know) to dragon dens, journeys to ithaca, mudusa eyes, twilight cathedrals, battles between titans, chivalrous knights slaying dragons, etc.....you get the idea. Thats not to say SX doesn't have a few more realistic songs and a talent for writing great lyrics at times(Awakenings comes immediately to mind). Dream Theater writes about much more common and realistic things. I can relate much more to a song such as Learning to Live or something than i can The Accolade. I know a lot of people feel the same way as well.

Meedleyx10 said:
The Difference tohugh between something like Metropolis pt. 2 and any SX lyrics is that it still deals with real life situations, namely human loss. Regardless of who you think has the better lyrics, most people will agree that DT's lyrics are much more possible to relate to. Personally I can't relate (nor can anyone i know) to dragon dens, journeys to ithaca, mudusa eyes, twilight cathedrals, battles between titans, chivalrous knights slaying dragons, etc.....you get the idea. Thats not to say SX doesn't have a few more realistic songs and a talent for writing great lyrics at times(Awakenings comes immediately to mind). Dream Theater writes about much more common and realistic things. I can relate much more to a song such as Learning to Live or something than i can The Accolade. I know a lot of people feel the same way as well.

I could not have summed it up better myself. Kudos!

Statler Waldorf said:

Are you saying that death doesn't occur today? Are you saying that some people in today's world don't believe in some form of reincarnation? Are you saying that there are no corrupt and manipulative psycho - therapists existing today? All these are common occurrences and themes in todays society. You need to crawl out of your "dragon's den"...stop "medusa's" eight heads from performing fellatio on you...and pull the "sword" out of your azz. Wake up!

Ascension said:
Are you saying that death doesn't occur today? Are you saying that some people in today's world don't believe in some form of reincarnation? Are you saying that there are no corrupt and manipulative psycho - therapists existing today? All these are common occurrences and themes in todays society. You need to crawl out of your "dragon's den"...stop "medusa's" eight heads from performing fellatio on you...and pull the "sword" out of your azz. Wake up!

I am a science major, and one thing I have learned through my years of studying and doing presentations concerning theories is that when someone has a weak basis to their argument and nothing to stand on they resort to silly personal shots. This is exactly what I see here.
Of course there are probably a handful of people out there who would believe a silly story about a murder in a past life and the killer reincarnating back into this evil shrink......*shivers....wow, how scary! However, since we are making this "Isn't it possible" argument. Wouldn't you Ascension, despite your arrogence and pride admit there were at one time Knights? Couldn't you also admit that there may still be people out there who take Greek Mythology very seroiusly (I am not one of them)? So basically all we can conclude, is your argument is full of logical falicies and could be used to support both sides, so maybe you should give up. Last of all this is not a DT Vs. SX thread, so stop trying to turn it into one by bringing Symphony X into the argument, we are supposed to be discussing DT's strengths and weaknesses. Thank you.

Statler

Statler Waldorf said:
I am a science major, and one thing I have learned through my years of studying and doing presentations concerning theories is that when someone has a weak basis to their argument and nothing to stand on they resort to silly personal shots. This is exactly what I see here.
Of course there are probably a handful of people out there who would believe a silly story about a murder in a past life and the killer reincarnating back into this evil shrink......*shivers....wow, how scary! However, since we are making this "Isn't it possible" argument. Wouldn't you Ascension, despite your arrogence and pride admit there were at one time Knights? Couldn't you also admit that there may still be people out there who take Greek Mythology very seroiusly (I am not one of them)? So basically all we can conclude, is your argument is full of logical falicies and could be used to support both sides, so maybe you should give up. Last of all this is not a DT Vs. SX thread, so stop trying to turn it into one by bringing Symphony X into the argument, we are supposed to be discussing DT's strengths and weaknesses. Thank you.

Knights? Greek mythology? If you'll read my post more effeciently, you'll notice the part that says "common occurences and themes in today's society". Tsk tsk...a science major with poor study habits...this world is going to hell. LOL

l'll throw my opinion in here on a topic that relates....why Symphony X?
I just don't hear it. They do anything new that hasn't been done before...maybe put their spin on it, that's about it. Romeo, while being a good guitar player, he doesn't bring anything new...nothing that Yngwie Malmsteen hasn't done. And, with emotion comparable to Yngwie...very little. Russell Allen has very little range...far less than James LaBrie. He proved that on the Allen/Lande release...he couldn't reach the highs without reaching heavily into falcetto...just terrible. Lande walked all over him. Good southern rock voice...his solo effort bears witness to that. The rest of the band? Replaceable. Their lyrical content is far fetched and not very accessible. l'll give them credit for song structure and orchestration. Definitely gifted there, but it again, makes their music not as accessible as it could be.
That's my opinion on SX...l like them, but nothing outstanding really...there's probably 5 - 8 other bands I'd place ahead of them if I were to rank the prog metal genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.