Who are the best

I like Shadow Gallery also, Room V was pretty awesome; but to me I feel it shifted more in favor of instrument-jerkery than vocal melodies. Also, Mike's vocals seem not quite as emotional as on Tyranny and earlier albums. That's just what I think though. :D

Still though, damn good band. Looking forward to their next album in 9 years or so down the road. :kickass:

A definite good point.

I purchased Room V when it came out and I really enjoy that album. I plan on picking up Tyranny at some point. I also would not compare them to SX or DT, but great music nonetheless.

SA bores the hell out of me. They only know 1 kind of complex, and the vocals are atrocious. I massively prefer Planet X for complex madness. Oh, and on Inside Out's myspace, they have the song Alien Hip Hop from the new PX album up, and talk about awesome! Complex rhythm patterns that they've managed to make groove.

Kenneth is right about Opeth. Their music may not be as obviously complex as some of DT's and SX's, but their musicianship is top-notch. As a whole, everything just sounds so perfectly molded together. I think a lot of this is due to Martin's drum tracks (not to take away from the rest of the members' amazing work).

Beneath the Massacre is probably the most exausting and fucked up thing I've seen as far as musicianship is concerned.

Too bad most of it is studio magic and still doesn't hold a candle to Behold the Arctopus. Opeth's music is not obviously complex because it's not complex. lol

As for SA, There's still a great deal of harmony in their music, they just decide to make individual skill a goal in the song writing too, can;t blame them with what they are capable of.

If I were as good as SA, I would write as complex tunes as humanly possible and not care what anyone thought. The fact that they make their songs sound good as well is what puts them above other tech/death metal bands IMO. Though anything Ron Jarzombek does is the ultimate. :worship:

Like Gentlemen stated, their vox sucks chode! They are technical beasts, but I don't find their song written structure or melodies anything to jump up and down over, like I originally stated....They bore me, Shadow Gallery ftw!

Oh and Kenneth, Agalloch rocks \m/

Well I reckon they actually do a great job fitting the vocals in and have decent melodies considering how crazy the music is, and I quite enyoy Oyvind's voice, reminds me a lot of watchtower's Control And Resistance album...

Actually, that is another band with superior skills... :headbang:

Too bad most of it is studio magic and still doesn't hold a candle to Behold the Arctopus. Opeth's music is not obviously complex because it's not complex. lol

As for SA, There's still a great deal of harmony in their music, they just decide to make individual skill a goal in the song writing too, can;t blame them with what they are capable of.

Yeah, I realised that. Hence me deciding B...TA wins the thread.